If you could add one sport

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
to ISU, what would it be? Would it be one of the sports we already cut, like men's gymnastics, swimming or baseball; or would it be a new sport like hockey, rowing, etc?

Men's gymnastics and men's swimming may be the most storied programs at ISU. Combined they have 3 national titles and 30 conference titles. Baseball may bring in more revenue, but has never been overly successful at ISU, and will likely cost more as well.

If we could add a new sport, what would it be and why. Hockey has had success as a club sport, but there is no organization for it in the Big 12, so logistics could be an issue. There are a number of other sports out there. What do you think?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I wouldnt mind baseball, hockey would be hard to watch if we had to play programs like UMD and such. I hope some day we can bring back a few more mens sports such as swimming, soccer, and baseball, but i'm not getting my hopes up to much.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Men's volleyball. (played club at ISU).

Easier to compete than baseball - indoor sport not as influenced by weather in our area, and the midwest does have talent to be found.

Maybe CJ could coach both???? :jimlad:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The first sports we should bring back are men's tennis, gymnastics, and swimming, as it is difficult to recruit female athletes in all three of those sports when they are by themselves. A corresponding mens sport will give the women a support group, as well as athletes to socialize with, and to workout with. Although KJ Kindler did not leave here because there was no men's gymnastics team, she did mention that OU also having a men's team stamped it as a serious gymnastics school.

Jack & Hilton

Nov 30, 2007
Easy, NCAA approves women's sand volleyball as emerging Division I sport - ESPN

greece_olympics_beach_volleyball.jpg

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The first sports we should bring back are men's tennis, gymnastics, and swimming, as it is difficult to recruit female athletes in all three of those sports when they are by themselves. A corresponding mens sport will give the women a support group, as well as athletes to socialize with, and to workout with. Although KJ Kindler did not leave here because there was no men's gymnastics team, she did mention that OU also having a men's team stamped it as a serious gymnastics school.

I would rather add a sport that more kids in state could play. Adding Tennis, gymnastics, and swimming you are looking at three sports that are very tough and expensive to recruit, especially when alot of the people you bring in are from other countries.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Men's Soccer

Soccer is played by tons of kids today & IMO will continue to grow in popularity over the next 10-15 years in the US. ISU needs to add soccer. If the Big 12 isn't going to add as a sport, maybe ISU could joint the Valley which has some very solid soccer programs.

Plus having both a mens & womens soccer program helps leverage the cost of supporting quality facilities.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I would say that if we are to bring back a sport, it should be either gymnastics or swimming. Cap Timm would require allot of repair before we could bring back baseball and it would likely cost more than the other sports.

If we can bring in a new sport, it would be hockey. We have had success in hockey as a club sport. We have a nice facility down by the towers and can play hockey in Hilton if it ever draws enough people.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I would say that if we are to bring back a sport, it should be either gymnastics or swimming. Cap Timm would require allot of repair before we could bring back baseball and it would likely cost more than the other sports.

If we can bring in a new sport, it would be hockey. We have had success in hockey as a club sport. We have a nice facility down by the towers and can play hockey in Hilton if it ever draws enough people.

That facility isn't big enough for the D1 Hockey requirements. IF they went baseball, Cap Timm would not be an option,they would need a completely new venue located near the rest of the athletic facilities...

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
That facility isn't big enough for the D1 Hockey requirements. IF they went baseball, Cap Timm would not be an option,they would need a completely new venue located near the rest of the athletic facilities...

As I said, Hilton can be used for Hockey.