Recruiting

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Not an answer to your question, but some more info.

From a few days ago:

Go Cyclones - ISU wants to move past transfers

Fennelly said the Cyclones are scouring the country to see if there is anyone they could sign for the fall. He believes ISU may be able to bring in one player, most likely a guard, but that he doesn’t want to bring someone in just to bring someone in.
I don't know if this means he's specifically looking for a guard (which doesn't make sense) or that there's a specific guard that he thinks might come to ISU (which does make sense, especially considering what was in the Register article).

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Juco All-American Guards from Texas:

Div I
Lyrell Barfield (Midland) 5'8" Soph Guard -- 1st Team
Deshawna Banks (Trinity Valley) 5'8" Soph Guard -- HM
Denetra Kellum (Kilgore) 5'8" Soph Guard -- HM

None in Div II or III

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
We don't seem to recruit JC out of state very often.

True for two-year jucos (Gintare Cipinyte has been the only 2-year juco from outside iowa since I started following the team). However, Denae Stuckey and Tegan Stuart were both one-year jucos from outside Iowa.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
My hopefully complete list of All-American and all-region players who happen to be Texas guards.

All-American
Lyrell Barfield (Midland) 5'8" Soph Guard -- 1st Team (going to Florida Atlantic)
Deshawna Banks (Trinity Valley) 5'8" Soph Guard -- HM
Denetra Kellum (Kilgore) 5'8" Soph Guard -- HM

All-Region
Taisja Jones (Grayson) 5'11" Soph Guard -- All-Region 5
Monique Burnham (Weatherford) 5'9" Soph Guard -- All-Region 5
Shavonne Butler (Hill) 5'9" Soph Forward -- All-Region 5
Nicoya Jackson (Southwestern Christian) 5'6" Freshman Guard -- All-Region 5
Miesha Blackshear (Howard) 5'7" Sophomore Guard -- All-Region 5
Priscilla Mbiandja (Odessa) 5'8" Sophomore G/F -- All-Region 5 (going to Louisiana-Monroe)
Breaunna Ellison (Lon Morris) 5'8" Soph Guard -- All-Region 14
Brateicka Mock (Blinn) 5'8" Freshman Guard -- All-Region 14
Kayla Weaver (Panola) 5'11" Soph Guard -- All-Region 14 (going to Texas Women's University)
Chelsea Foy (Jacksonville) 5'11" Soph G/F -- All-Region 14 (going to Stephen F Austin)

Danyell Oliver (Kilgore) 5'6" Freshman G -- All-Region 14

Misc
Nicole Walton (McLennan) 5'8" Soph Guard -- WBCA all-american nominee

Last edited:

akaclone

Feb 15, 2007
kids with a ton of athletic talent and some underdeveloped skills don't alway's fit in well at isu.They need to have pretty sound fundamentals or coach seems to look past them (3) point shooters..we need someone that can flat out break ankles (cross u over )..Denae Stuckey is the quickest girl on the team and could become that person.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
kids with a ton of athletic talent and some underdeveloped skills don't alway's fit in well at isu.

athletic talent + underdeveloped skills = turnovers. Turning the ball over a lot will get you on the bench very quickly when you play for Fennelly. :smile:

I imagine one reason ISU doesn't go the juco route very often is because he tends to stay away from academic liabilities, and a lot of the better juco players are there for academic reasons.

Last edited:

akaclone

Feb 15, 2007
What i was referring too was mostly those players that are slashers and can create tough matchups...texas A&M had a whole team of that kind of talent..we could use 1 or 2 playres of that type.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I suppose, but a juco isn't really necessary in the backcourt this upcoming season, so any juco guard will only be around for one season where they'd really be needed. I'd just expect a juco post to be a priority.

Don't know where I read it, but I recall BF saying he was thinking of doing a 4 guard 1 post line-up some next season to take pressure off new posts. I would say our greatest need is for an athletic ankle breaking guard that can dish, is full of swagger and moxy, and can also shoot the 3 ala Shannon Bobbit.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
Update?

So what is the over under on us adding any more recruits for next year? Anyone in the know? Is Bill pushing hard for someone, or more than likely to stand pat with the cards he has?

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
He will likely add at least one more, most likely a JC transfer. Baring a medical red-shirt, we already have 5 players graduating after this up coming season. Throw in the mix that we only have 4 recruits coming in and that we had 8 players leave (due to graduation and transfer) after the season, I think the chance are very high that we will add another player, maybe two, before next season.

To break it down for you, we currently have 4 scholarships open for this up coming season. We graduate 5, so if BF doesn't bring in anyone before this season, he will have 9 spots to fill for next year. There is no way that BF lets that happen. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up a couple of JC transfers, and maybe even a HS student still. I'm not sure when the late signing period ends, but I'm sure we will hear something in the next month.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
On the road this week, so, I've got USAToday All=USA girls b-ball team. There is a first team forward undecided - Monique Oliver 6-2 200 lbs from Long Beach. Yes, they give weights. Also, last year's POY, Elena DelleDonne is currently unattached.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
On the road this week, so, I've got USAToday All=USA girls b-ball team. There is a first team forward undecided - Monique Oliver 6-2 200 lbs from Long Beach. Yes, they give weights. Also, last year's POY, Elena DelleDonne is currently unattached.

Thanks for letting us bachelors know:yes: