fishing in ames?

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
I tried that ada hayden park north of town on grand, but there is no cover, so you'd prolly need a boat. i found a smaller pond tucked back in the woods over there, but i didnt really have any luck. is there anywhere good to fish in or near ames?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I fish ALL THE TIME near Ames.

The skunk river is a great place to catch smallmouth bass, bluegill, cat.

I mainly go for the smallies.

Wading the river between Ames and Story City is great. Of course the river depth is way too high right now.

Hickory Grove is a park near Colo and offers some ok shore fishing at a small lake.

Go North on to the end of Dayton Ave .. hang a right and out there is McFarland Park. Ok little pond to catch some bluegills.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Anyone have any good spots IN AMES on the skunk river or squaw or college creeks? specifics please?

All I really have with me is an ultra light with some 3 inch power grubs and jigheads. those'll prolly do fine for some bass, but is there any bait shop in ames?

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
are u pissed someone else started another thread about fishing around ames???? who cares if you started a thread before, why do people like you feel it neccesary to point out that you started a thread earlier

first of all, the " OMG THERE IS ANOTHER THREAD ALREADY THIS WORLD IS GOING TO END" schtick around here is getting old.

second of all, I did not find the answer I was looking for, and this was probably a half a year ago so rather than STARTING A NEW THREAD OMG, I bumped my old thread because I knew people would just point me back to it. Can't win for losing around here.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Anyone have any good spots IN AMES on the skunk river or squaw or college creeks? specifics please?

All I really have with me is an ultra light with some 3 inch power grubs and jigheads. those'll prolly do fine for some bass, but is there any bait shop in ames?

Ultra light wiht three inch power grubs and jig head s will work great in Ames.

Go to the softball fields on 13th street in Ames and drive back to the North of them. Fish below the little spillway. You can catch a ton of fish on that stretch of River. Mostly smallies, cats, bluegills.

Great stretch of river if the river depth is right and is pretty good for just a quick easy bit of fishing.

Reactions: illinoiscyclone

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
first of all, the " OMG THERE IS ANOTHER THREAD ALREADY THIS WORLD IS GOING TO END" schtick around here is getting old.

second of all, I did not find the answer I was looking for, and this was probably a half a year ago so rather than STARTING A NEW THREAD OMG, I bumped my old thread because I knew people would just point me back to it. Can't win for losing around here.

um sorry didnt quote you. if you go back and check who i quoted its not you.

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
If you head south of Ames on Duff and turn at Ken Merril Road (last blinking light in south Ames) and drive to the end. You will see an old road that leads out to the river, you can fish right off of the old bridge. Great catfishing (use jumbo shrimp) and if you see an older gentleman with a mustache fishing, just call him Uncle Dale and let him know Tommy sent you.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
If you head south of Ames on Duff and turn at Ken Merril Road (last blinking light in south Ames) and drive to the end. You will see an old road that leads out to the river, you can fish right off of the old bridge. Great catfishing (use jumbo shrimp) and if you see an older gentleman with a mustache fishing, just call him Uncle Dale and let him know Tommy sent you.

HAHA. awesome. it would be even more awesome if you were making that all up.. Id laugh my *** off when I got there.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
are u pissed someone else started another thread about fishing around ames???? who cares if you started a thread before, why do people like you feel it neccesary to point out that you started a thread earlier

Relax bud, he's just pointing him to another source of information.

If I were asking a question on this board and there was an old thread that could help answer that question, I would appreciate it a lot if someone pointed me to it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron