Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
for a 2nd round pick.

Just reported on NFL.com

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
Not really thrilled about trading him away. I think he's worth the 2nd round pick though. Probably should have gotten more for him. Talking about an All-Pro with multiple receiving records for tight ends who is still probably the best tight end in the league.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I'll admit I don't watch the NFL at all cuz its a joke but how do you give up a Hall of Famer and only get a 2nd round pick in return. I realize that Tony Gonzalez is way past his prime but he has to be worth more than some unknown player that has not or may not ever step on a NFL field.

j_crow

Oct 24, 2007
Ames, IA
Wow...I did not expect this to happen; pretty psyched it did though! :yes: Heh, our draft is probably going to be all defense with an OL thrown in at some point for depth...

Disclaimer: I'm a Falcons' fan...

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'll admit I don't watch the NFL at all cuz its a joke but how do you give up a Hall of Famer and only get a 2nd round pick in return. I realize that Tony Gonzalez is way past his prime but he has to be worth more than some unknown player that has not or may not ever step on a NFL field.

care to elaborate on why you think the NFL is a joke?

huskerman

Mar 12, 2008
ames
horrible move by the chiefs! kellen winslow who is not near the TE TG is went for something like a 2nd and 5th and all we get is a damn 2nd for next year none the less!? might as well just forfeit the whole 2009 season because its looking like another 2 win season!

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Chiefs trade for 2nd round pick next yr. Still not enough for Tony G for me.

milrtym

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
I would have liked a little more then a 2nd rounder for next years draft. I mean with their O the Falcons have a chance to be pretty good, thus getting a high 2nd round draft pick. I only hope that Pioli freed up some room for Bolden.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
horrible move by the chiefs! kellen winslow who is not near the TE TG is went for something like a 2nd and 5th and all we get is a damn 2nd for next year none the less!? might as well just forfeit the whole 2009 season because its looking like another 2 win season!

Winslow still has the majority of his career ahead of him. TG has what, two years left? A 2nd is good value.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
care to elaborate on why you think the NFL is a joke?

Actually, I think all pro sports have become a joke---I shouldn't just pick on football. I can't keep track of the trades, player hold outs, roster moves, etc. And we wonder why our college athletes quit the first time they get yelled at or have parents that pull their kids out of high schools just to play sports at another school. End of mini-rant.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Actually, I think all pro sports have become a joke---I shouldn't just pick on football. I can't keep track of the trades, player hold outs, roster moves, etc. And we wonder why our college athletes quit the first time they get yelled at or have parents that pull their kids out of high schools just to play sports at another school. End of mini-rant.

I can see your point. I would argue, however that things like roster moves, trades, hold outs, etc make pro football all the more interesting. The beauty of the NFL is that because the things you mentioned, any team has the potential to go from worst to first or first to worts in a year's time. For example, would anyone be all that shocked if the 0-16 Lions of 2008 came out this year and put together a playoff run? It would be unlikely, and surprising, but the Dolphins of last year proved that it can be done. That type of unpredictability is what makes the sport great.

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008

It's called age and Tony probably only has about 2-3 years left, so I think this was a win for the chiefs.

huskerman

Mar 12, 2008
ames
Winslow still has the majority of his career ahead of him. TG has what, two years left? A 2nd is good value.

Tony is also a better player than winslow, even though he is older. i just dont buy it, you dont trade the face of your franchise for a 2nd round pick!

bottom line is that during the 2008 season Winslow produced 428 yds whereas TG produced 1,058 yds during the 2008 season. also winslow has been injury prone whereas over the last 12 years TG has only missed 2 total games! and winslow is not the only TE to get a much higher trade value that TG over the last few years.....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron