ISU contacted Brands

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So I'm guessing this means that Gable said that he'd help find a new coach but was unwilling to come back and coach himself?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Terry seems to be affraid to step out on his own. He seems to want to stay an assistant. I mean he is the top assistant in the country and has not thrown his hat in for the Arizona State job, the Penn St. job, and now does not want to travel 2 hours west for the second best wrestling job in the country. It truely makes no sense for him to not want to try for some of these top dog jobs.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It kills me how the Brands brothers act like spoiled 12-year olds to opponents and refs at dual meets, how Cyclone fans basically call them low-life punks, but then much of our fan base begs for Terry to coach here. Good god...

Reactions: twistedredbird

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
It kills me how the Brands brothers act like spoiled 12-year olds to opponents and refs at dual meets, how Cyclone fans basically call them low-life punks, but then much of our fan base begs for Terry to coach here. Good god...

Maybe since wrestling is a more testosterone cuthroat sport, they look past the show and see a winner.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

shows how much the fanbase wants to win and not underachieve.

winning overshadows everything (see Iowa fb).

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
Terry seems to be affraid to step out on his own. He seems to want to stay an assistant. I mean he is the top assistant in the country and has not thrown his hat in for the Arizona State job, the Penn St. job, and now does not want to travel 2 hours west for the second best wrestling job in the country. It truely makes no sense for him to not want to try for some of these top dog jobs.

Terry's current goal is to improve the Iowa program and REALLY improve the Hawkeye Wrestling club. Terry and Tom are very goal driven. I think that's his focus right now. He also makes upwards of 100K as an assistant which is fantastic money.

I don't think he'll take any job that directly competes with his brother. It's too hard on the family. Oklahoma, sure. PSU or ISU...not so much.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Maybe since wrestling is a more testosterone cuthroat sport, they look past the show and see a winner.

A "winner" in what? Just the scoreboard? Ask Rob Koll what he thinks about the class, or lack of it, of the Iowa wrestlers. And the wrestlers are a reflection of the Brands brothers. Yet here we are climbing over each other yearning for one of them to coach the Cyclones. Give me a break.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I don't think he'll take any job that directly competes with his brother. It's too hard on the family. Oklahoma, sure. PSU or ISU...not so much.

That is wimpy. Family members compete with each other in every sport. The Bowdon bowl comes to mind. That is father vs. Son. There are many others. Richard Patino is now an assistant coach at Florida and will eventually square up with his old man.
It's basically a few times a year. I would compete against my brother. It's actually fun.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
A "winner" in what? Just the scoreboard? Ask Rob Koll what he thinks about the class, or lack of it, of the Iowa wrestlers. And the wrestlers are a reflection of the Brands brothers. Yet here we are climbing over each other yearning for one of them to coach the Cyclones. Give me a break.

Dunno, dont follow the sport much. Is there a coach left out there that is the complete package and can put a product out there that will knock the Hawks off their perch?

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

At this point....the way the ISU coaches (including Cael) have let down JP...he would be willing to hire Jack the Ripper as long as he delivered.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
At this point....the way the ISU coaches (including Cael) have let down JP...he would be willing to hire Jack the Ripper as long as he delivered.

I can't argue that - wish I could. If I was in JP's spt, I would have the pressure on me to hire a name with some sizzle.
The fact that JP contacted T. Brands just makes me sick, I guess, that we're that frantic...

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I've hated the idea of Terry Brands coming to ISU from the first mention of it. I've seen a lot of people on here wanting him, but I don't think that represented a majority of the fanbase.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale

I agree. The thought of Brands as coach, or even Gable for that matter, makes me cringe. The fact that many Cyclones fans want these guys makes me puke on myself.