Really like Wally

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
there is an article on goCyclones about the defense and the lack of speed it has. At least Wally understands that there are some real limitation to what the defense can do and he is trying to eliminate fundimental things from last year, like tackling and being in the right place at the right time. I think that Bolt knew what he was doing, he just didn't have the guys to do it. Wally at least seems to understand that you have to build the defense with the guys you have rather than building it on the guys you wish you had. :no:

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
I've got to say that I'm actually getting a little sick of all the 'we don't have the horses' talk that is becoming so prevalent around ISU's message boards. Do I think ISU has USC talent? Of course not. Do I think ISU has enough talent to be competitive in just about every game this year regardless of our opponent? I do. Undoubtedly the best coaches in the country are able to shave a little here and there off of their schemes to hide their greatest weaknesses, but to constantly hear how we're lucky that we have Wally or Rhoads or Herman to take our no-talent football players and somehow miraculously beat some team of giants like Nebraska or Kansas is grinding me a little.

Ok, now I feel a little better and can't wait until August.

Reactions: Melvin

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I've got to say that I'm actually getting a little sick of all the 'we don't have the horses' talk that is becoming so prevalent around ISU's message boards. Do I think ISU has USC talent? Of course not. Do I think ISU has enough talent to be competitive in just about every game this year regardless of our opponent? I do. Undoubtedly the best coaches in the country are able to shave a little here and there off of their schemes to hide their greatest weaknesses, but to constantly hear how we're lucky that we have Wally or Rhoads or Herman to take our no-talent football players and somehow miraculously beat some team of giants like Nebraska or Kansas is grinding me a little.

We almost beat Kansas last year and the year before that we almost beat Oklahoma. I wouldnt be surprised if we pull one or two off in the next couple years.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I don't think that the coaches think that there is no talent, there is just not a lot of guys that can make a mistake and recover. CPR called these guys 'erasers', and the Clones do not have any, so they just have to not make mistakes. Last year I saw a lot of mistakes and no one to erase them. Hopefully we will see a lot less mistakes in 09.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The thing the old staff did is blaimed a lot of things on the lack of talent. Good coaches can hide lack of talent somewhat. If you say we just dont have enough talent enough then the players think that and the end results are not good.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Just don't be thinking Wally is going to turn our defense into a top 40 in a years time. Clearly we need to upgrade our talent level and being in the right postion all the time is only going to go so far.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I too am glad that our new coaches seem to be able to see the shortcomings of the team and feel that they can improve the level of play by simply teaching some of the basics that the old coaching staff apparently didn't know enough to teach.

Good coaches form raw talent into competitive players.

Reactions: Cyrocks

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Just don't be thinking Wally is going to turn our defense into a top 40 in a years time. Clearly we need to upgrade our talent level and being in the right postion all the time is only going to go so far.

It all start with being in the right place. ISU could have eliminated 10 to 14 points a game last year by not making mental mistakes, and that would have been enough to win several more games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyrocks

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

Are you kidding me? I expect immediate results. None of this waiting three or five years. :jimlad:

However, I do think the improvement in our defense will be noticable next season.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
The thing the old staff did is blaimed a lot of things on the lack of talent. Good coaches can hide lack of talent somewhat. If you say we just dont have enough talent enough then the players think that and the end results are not good.

I think ol' Barney Cotton did the same thing.

Again, members of this coaching staff are saying things like, "We have to improve" not "We just don't have the players yet."

That has to make a big difference mentally to the players.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I don't think that the coaches think that there is no talent, there is just not a lot of guys that can make a mistake and recover. CPR called these guys 'erasers', and the Clones do not have any, so they just have to not make mistakes. Last year I saw a lot of mistakes and no one to erase them. Hopefully we will see a lot less mistakes in 09.
LJ

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
I empathize with those that say it grates them to continually hear this. I've been there and it irks you. It may be true but it certainly reeks of someone setting up an excuse.

I also agree with the sentiment that suggests lack of speed or not, people were out of place and tackled poorly as well.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona

I'd disagree. I think we are borderline, at best, to having enough athletic ability and DEPTH to compete every weekend in the Big 12. Sure, we almost came close to beating KU and OU but what happened the rest of the year? No depth.

When you're not a deep team, you are relying on your few good players to play great every week and hoping your others are sufficient. Fact is, your studs are not going to play like studs week in and week out, so others need to step up. The problem is, the gap between our studs and the rest of the team is large.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron