I am getting sick of ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
ALL THE CAEL BASHING GOING ON RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! :no:

Yes, he left ISU for PSU and nobody knows the reasoning behind it but himself and his family, but come on! Cael has been with the ISU program in one form or fashion since 1997 and it is now 2009! Did everybody on this site really think he was going to stay at ISU for the next 50 years? I didn't! I for one am in need of new scenery every now and then and leaving ISU for Cael was bound to happen sooner or later.

People are saying that he left for the money! Yes, he is getting paid more but in the grand scheme of things, he is not getting paid the early reported 500K a year that some have said.

Finally, people are stating they have lost respect for Cael b/c he is possibly taking some of his own recruits with him! All I have to say to that is it is the student/athletes final decision if they stay or go. Cael is not GOD and the wrestlers have a right to say no, they are staying at ISU. Also, welcome to the world of the NCAA, where coaches, at all levels, take recruits with them to their new locations.

It is in my opinion that Cael doesn't owe anything to ISU. He represented ISU with the utmost dignity and respect as a student/athlete and as a coach and for that I wish him all the luck in the world at PSU!!!!

GO CAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: coachdags

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I have no ill feelings for Cael. He's given plenty to Iowa State over the years. If he feels more comfortable at Penn State, more power to him. I will root for him. It's not like he's Gene Chizik and bailed without doing anything productive at ISU.

I would appreciate if he didn't try to take 7 wrestlers with him but otherwise I have no issue.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
He made a decision. I'm fine with that. If he starts poaching his wrestlers after he says he's in this "hotbed", then I'll be pissed.

Reactions: Cyrocks

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site
He made a decision. I'm fine with that. If he starts poaching his wrestlers after he says he's in this "hotbed", then I'll be pissed.

I agree. If it so much easier to recruit and and win championships at Penn State, then recruit in that area, don't poach from another school.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I largely agree with you, Tank.

I've got no problem with him leaving, to be honest. He's gotta do what he feels he's gotta do.

I hope he has great success in the future. In some ways I hope he has more success there because it will mean he's accomplished more there than he possibly could here, purely because of the history he's got on his side at ISU.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I agree. If it so much easier to recruit and and win championships at Penn State, then recruit in that area, don't poach from another school.

As much as I hate to say it...

I wish the kids would wait to see who the next new coach is, but if there whole reason for choosing ISU was Cael, then they are the ones wronged more than anyone and should have the right to move on.

Who knows, at least the ones who stay are committed to ISU.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I disagree. ISU did more for Cael than any other univeristy has done for any individual athlete/coach that I can recall. They created an "ambassador" job so he would have a few dollars in his pocket while he trained for the Olympics, they forced out an elite coach to give him a job when he was a totally unproven candidate, and they then made him the highest paid coach in the nation. They/we treated him the way you would treat a family member. In return he turned his back on us and rode off into the sunset.

I think he did owe a lot to the University and it's students/alumni/fans. I'm extremely disappointed in his actions.

Having said that, I'm not pissed anymore. He'll have to live with his decision and I am not going to waste any more time wondering why he would take the course of action he chose.

Reactions: joefrog and chadm

acqflisu

Apr 20, 2006
Davenport, Iowa
I disagree. ISU did more for Cael than any other univeristy has done for any individual athlete/coach that I can recall. They created an "ambassador" job so he would have a few dollars in his pocket while he trained for the Olympics, they forced out an elite coach to give him a job when he was a totally unproven candidate, and they then made him the highest paid coach in the nation. They/we treated him the way you would treat a family member. In return he turned his back on us and rode off into the sunset.

I think he did owe a lot to the University and it's students/alumni/fans. I'm extremely disappointed in his actions.

Having said that, I'm not pissed anymore. He'll have to live with his decision and I am not going to waste any more time wondering why he would take the course of action he chose.

Sums up my feeling as well. Still mourning the loss and uncertain about how this will play out.

We all know the headlines about Gable and his success after ISU.
I wonder what the headlines will read 5, 10, 20 years from now about this situation.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006

I agree. So far, he's taken the high road and did things honorably. The second he starts poaching wrestlers, that moral high ground is gone. His brother, I understand. Anyone else and he pretty much doesn't have the character that I thought he did. If you are such a good coach moving to this recruiting hotbed, find new athletes and build it up from scratch.

ISU deserves better than that from Cael. If he starts poaching wrestlers, damaging the program at his alma mater, I'll consider him a punk from here on out.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

Cael did way more for ISU than we did for him.

~ 40k scholarship + ~ 400k salary.

159 - 0 as an athlete

44-10 as a coach

oh, and a Gold medal for their trouble.

Under $500k (what man thought he was getting per year at his new gig) for all that performance.

He was a steal.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Cael did way more for ISU than we did for him.

~ 40k scholarship + ~ 400k salary.

159 - 0 as an athlete

44-10 as a coach

oh, and a Gold medal for their trouble.

Under $500k (what man thought he was getting per year at his new gig) for all that performance.

He was a steal.

+1

I have lived all over the U.S. since Cael graduated and then won the Gold and b/c of Cael, Iowa State University was put on the map. It wasn't football or basketball, but wrestling that did this and it is b/c of Cael that is happened.

Am I going to miss him - yes, but will I be upset if wrestlers follow him to PSU - no and this b/c it is their decision to leave ISU for PSU and nobody elses!

Reactions: clones_jer

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I have lived all over the U.S. since Cael graduated and then won the Gold and b/c of Cael, Iowa State University was put on the map. It wasn't football or basketball, but wrestling that did this and it is b/c of Cael that is happened.

Not to discount what CS did, but we did have a little wrestling tradition and a few gold medal winners in the past... I think there was even one that didn't surrender a point in the Olympics :wink:

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Not to discount what CS did, but we did have a little wrestling tradition and a few gold medal winners in the past... I think there was even one that didn't surrender a point in the Olympics :wink:

159-0 > 118-1 :biggrin:

Last edited:

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN

Yes, he left ISU for PSU and nobody knows the reasoning behind it but himself and his family, but come on! Actually, in his press release, he gave the reasons why he quit. So we all know why. Unless there is more to it, but in that case he is a liar. Cael has been with the ISU program in one form or fashion since 1997 and it is now 2009! Did everybody on this site really think he was going to stay at ISU for the next 50 years?Maybe not 50, but 20-30 years with several national titles. Dan Gable stayed at Iowa for many years. Did he have a need to go to a recruiting "hotbed" to be successful? CS could have done the same at ISU I didn't! I for one am in need of new scenery every now and then and leaving ISU for Cael was bound to happen sooner or later.

People are saying that he left for the money! Yes, he is getting paid more but in the grand scheme of things, he is not getting paid the early reported 500K a year that some have said. No, he didn't leave for the salary money. He left for the reasons he already stated, and probably for higher athletic budget, which is money, in a way.

Finally, people are stating they have lost respect for Cael b/c he is possibly taking some of his own recruits with him! I agree with IcSyU on this one... He made a decision. I'm fine with that. If he starts poaching his wrestlers after he says he's in this "hotbed", then I'll be pissed. All I have to say to that is it is the student/athletes final decision if they stay or go. Cael is not GOD and the wrestlers have a right to say no, they are staying at ISU. Also, welcome to the world of the NCAA, where coaches, at all levels, take recruits with them to their new locations.

It is in my opinion that Cael doesn't owe anything to ISU. He represented ISU with the utmost dignity and respect as a student/athlete and as a coach and for that I wish him all the luck in the world at PSU!!!! He doesn't owe ISU much, but I am still pissed at him that he couldn't do what Gable has done for Iowa

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

Yes, he left ISU for PSU and nobody knows the reasoning behind it but himself and his family, but come on! Cael has been with the ISU program in one form or fashion since 1997 and it is now 2009! Did everybody on this site really think he was going to stay at ISU for the next 50 years? I didn't! I for one am in need of new scenery every now and then and leaving ISU for Cael was bound to happen sooner or later.

People are saying that he left for the money! Yes, he is getting paid more but in the grand scheme of things, he is not getting paid the early reported 500K a year that some have said.

Finally, people are stating they have lost respect for Cael b/c he is possibly taking some of his own recruits with him! All I have to say to that is it is the student/athletes final decision if they stay or go. Cael is not GOD and the wrestlers have a right to say no, they are staying at ISU. Also, welcome to the world of the NCAA, where coaches, at all levels, take recruits with them to their new locations.

It is in my opinion that Cael doesn't owe anything to ISU. He represented ISU with the utmost dignity and respect as a student/athlete and as a coach and for that I wish him all the luck in the world at PSU!!!!

lets see you say that when he takes varner and cyler and possibly more plus our recruiting class and we don't sniff the top 5 for 10 more years. until then keep up your love fest. If he was leaving and leaving what is ours alone I wouldn't wish him well but I wouldn't wish him failure either. He destroys our program for the foreseeable future and damn right I wish him nothing but being tom brands ***** for the next 20 years.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
lets see you say that when he takes varner and cyler and possibly more plus our recruiting class and we don't sniff the top 5 for 10 more years. until then keep up your love fest. If he was leaving and leaving what is ours alone I wouldn't wish him well but I wouldn't wish him failure either. He destroys our program for the foreseeable future and damn right I wish him nothing but being tom brands ***** for the next 20 years.

Call me what you want after this response but it doesn't matter what to me who he takes, like Varner and Cyler and possibly more plus our recruiting class b/c I will always be a fan of Cael, no matter where he coaches.

I have known Cael since he was a freshman, living with Joe Heskitt and neighbors with me in Linden Hall, so it doesn't matter what happens to ISU wrestling with his departure! I have actually become more of a fan of PSU wrestling now b/c of Cael being their HC!

So, let the all the anti-Tank bashing begin!!!!!!!!!

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

The wrestlers will make up their own minds. Lots of people say we can win it all next year if we get a more intense coach ... lets see them do it with whoever they have. My bet is Penn St finishes above us.

Reactions: Tank