Its frickin wrestling who cares?

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
For the amount of complaining about Cael leaving you would think the crowds are usually sold out at the meets.

It is wrestling not a sport that makes or breaks our athletic department.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I'm sorry you aren't a wrestling fan and miss out on all the pure domination, physical aggression, emotion, and excitement that happens at Hilton Coliseum every winter.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
This thread is gonna make a lot of people mad. I like how all the time before this cael thing happened no one cared but now they all do.

Reactions: dosry5

bluejayrock

Apr 18, 2009
Bondurant
For the amount of complaining about Cael leaving you would think the crowds are usually sold out at the meets.

Financially no, but it's a big source of pride. Every school has a sport outside of the "Big 2" that they can always hang their hat on. Minnesota has hockey, Johns Hopkins has lacrosse, and Iowa State has wrestling.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
This thread is gonna make a lot of people mad. I like how all the time before this cael thing happened no one cared but now they all do.
I actually won't read half of the threads started about this situation that have no idea what they're talking about.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
And a lot of non-wrestling fans do seem to care for a couple of reasons; first they see a pattern as to how this was handled by the AD and secondly they see how this pattern replicates itself into the money sports.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

It is wrestling not a sport that makes or breaks our athletic department
~~~~~~~~~

It doesn't appear like you have an appreciation, or understanding of the history, legend and importance of wrestling to Iowa State. It's a big deal.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I really dont care about wrestling either, but you have to see that it is a pretty big thing in this state for alot of people.
just because you dont like it doesnt mean much

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
I care. I've gone to the NCAA Tournament the last 2 years. It's an amazing experience, and like it or not, our program was just dealt a nasty blow. People necessarily want/need to talk about it.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

he was as much an isu icon as cy, the campanile, and lake laverne. they don't just come around every day. Whether you like wrestling or not, it will be a LONG time until someone comes around to ISU as unique in sports as Cael. You need a larger view of how this affects ISU than just who coaches the team.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Agree bluejayrock, it's a source of pride for Clone fans to know there is one sport in which we will always achieve excellence at a national level. It's our only sport where we have tradition and recognition for consistently having a great program, and even most casual sports fans who know nothing about wrestling would recognize the name of Cael Sanderson and associate it with Iowa State. Imo we're losing a good chunk of our identity and pride with the loss of Cael.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I care because someone who should have had an unbelievable amount of loyalty and pride in his university... apparently didn't.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
he was as much an isu icon as cy, the campanile, and lake laverne. they don't just come around every day. Whether you like wrestling or not, it will be a LONG time until someone comes around to ISU as unique in sports as Cael. You need a larger view of how this affects ISU than just who coaches the team.
Good post. It's a pride thing. You don't lose your icons to other schools.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Financially no, but it's a big source of pride. Every school has a sport outside of the "Big 2" that they can always hang their hat on. Minnesota has hockey, Johns Hopkins has lacrosse, and Iowa State has wrestling.

Except hockey in MN makes quite a bit of cash for the athletic department.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids

This has to be the dumbest comment that i have ever heard by anyone. Have you ever tried to wrestle? have you ever been to a meet? Prolly not so you have no room to complain. Wrestling is by far, prolly the hardest sport there is. Some people may differ with me on this, but do you think you could go seven minutes on a mat. I doubt it. Thats just the minimum.There were multiple times that Big Z went 11 minutes straight cause of overtime. And your also asking why anyone cares? Name just 1 Cyclone sport that won the Big 12 title 3 consecutive years. Cant think of any can you. So the next time you wanna post any idiotic comment, maybe you should have some fact to back up your complaint!!!!!!!! Go Cyclone Wrestling

Last edited:

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
This has to be the dumbest comment that i have ever heard by anyone. Have you ever tried to wrestle? have you ever been to a meet? Prolly not so you have no room to complain. Wrestling is by far, prolly the hardest sport there is. Some people may differ with me on this, but do you think you could go seven minutes on a mat. I doubt it. Thats just the minimum.There were multiple times that Big Z went 11 minutes straight cause of overtime. And your also asking why anyone cares? Name just 1 Cyclone sport that won the Big 12 title 3 consecutive years. Cant think of any can you. So the next time you wanna post any idiotic comment, maybe you should have some fact to back up your complaint!!!!!!!! Go Cyclone Wrestling

Easy Scott.... easssssyyyyy.:yes:

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Not a lot of people care about bike racing in the states either, but a lot of people would have been pissed off if Lance Armstrong had decided to join the Italian team a few years ago.

Like Lance is for biking, Cael is a legend in wrestling and icon for ISU. It hurts to lose arguably our most famous alumni.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron