Pollard untouchable?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneOmaha

Feb 5, 2009
questions that need to be answered:

is he just a victim of circumstances?

is he part of the problem?

is cyclone athletics (other that volleyball and WBB) become damaged, and confidence from the public lost?

does action need to be taken to restore public confidence?

some may be thinking, 'we just hired a new football coach, how can we get rid of the AD when football hasn't started yet?'

did Paul Rhodes come to ISU just because JP was here? I don't think so.

is JP have in irreplaceable position?

Just some thoughts to ponder for those that support and don't support JP.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Victim of Circumstance.

If Cael got offered $500/yr - it would be a no-brainer for Cael to go and for Pollard to let him go.

It is all about the $$$, but Cael can not come out and say that.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
JP was a victim of circumstances and part of the problems
1. Football: it' was time for D-Mac to go. Unfortunately some of the Mac's loyal fans didn't like it and didn't want to admit that the team had regressed andlost momentum. JP lost certain degree of support from the fans. He was right in hiring Chizik: he had a good intention. Can't blame him for Chizik leaving. This is what I'll blame him for: Offering Chizik an extension in the end of the second season. That was ridiculous !

2. Basketball: Firing Morgan was too haste. GM was a hot coach, but how hot was he ? And then he gave GM a bloated contract with "automatic raise of 75k and extension if the Cyclones are subject to NCAA sanction/penalty" clause. What kind of clause is that ?

3. We don't even know what really happened with Gymnastic coach and Cael.

4. But judging on public's perception that he liked to fire coaches (see Mac, Morgan, track and field coaches), losing Cael doesn't help because public perception is he's someone who's difficult to work with / for.

As a result: yes, the athletic department became damaged. Public confidence is lost

One suggestion (and I am afraid this will never be done): President Geoffrey should act- if JP is not at fault with Cael's situation (and other similar issues), issue a statement. I know it sounds bad, but he has to say "I want the Cylones to trust this guy, JP, because there have been rumors that blame him. Here's the real situation with Kindler, here's the situation with Cael - you judge him based on the fact and my statements."

This is the only way to restore public's faith. Because President Geoffrey is regarded as a man of integrity.

I'm neutral in terms of juding JP. I don't dislike him but I don't know him a a person either.

Any thoughts ?

Reactions: Wing48

bluejayrock

Apr 18, 2009
Bondurant
On the Mac contract, the Sanctions clause was probably put in there because of that scheduling controversy Morgan had been involved in. Yes, it was very minor, but you never know if the NCAA will come down on a program. Kindler going to OU was a huge step up in the world of gymnastics, the tradition of Iowa Wrestling with the facilities of PSU Wrestling.

Looking ahead, JP, Dr G and everyone else need to focus on keeping 2 people: Fennelly and Johnson. Yes, I know that Women's Sports aren't the most high profile, but they are the only 2 coaches left who have had any kind of success on the national level.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
JP was a victim of circumstances and part of the problems
1. Football: it' was time for D-Mac to go. Unfortunately some of the Mac's loyal fans didn't like it and didn't want to admit that the team had regressed andlost momentum. JP lost certain degree of support from the fans. He was right in hiring Chizik: he had a good intention. Can't blame him for Chizik leaving. This is what I'll blame him for: Offering Chizik an extension in the end of the second season. That was ridiculous !

2. Basketball: Firing Morgan was too haste. GM was a hot coach, but how hot was he ? And then he gave GM a bloated contract with "automatic raise of 75k and extension if the Cyclones are subject to NCAA sanction/penalty" clause. What kind of clause is that ?

3. We don't even know what really happened with Gymnastic coach and Cael.

4. But judging on public's perception that he liked to fire coaches (see Mac, Morgan, track and field coaches), losing Cael doesn't help because public perception is he's someone who's difficult to work with / for.

As a result: yes, the athletic department became damaged. Public confidence is lost

One suggestion (and I am afraid this will never be done): President Geoffrey should act- if JP is not at fault with Cael's situation (and other similar issues), issue a statement. I know it sounds bad, but he has to say "I want the Cylones to trust this guy, JP, because there have been rumors that blame him. Here's the real situation with Kindler, here's the situation with Cael - you judge him based on the fact and my statements."

This is the only way to restore public's faith. Because President Geoffrey is regarded as a man of integrity.

I'm neutral in terms of juding JP. I don't dislike him but I don't know him a a person either.

Any thoughts ?

That part is really overblown. Some people overreact to everything, and see signs everywhere. They aren't the entire fanbase. Nobody is.

To say public confidence is lost would indicate that the entire fanbase has turned against JP, and that's not going to be the case.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
At least with all this mess he can trot out his record of success ... oh wait ...

clonedog

Dec 12, 2008
The question is given the string of failed coaching hires by Jamie, would he fire himself?? My sense is that Mr. Pollard does not believe in his coaches being "victims of circumstance". I can't believe that Cael Sanderson is leaving and somehow it is unfair to question whether or not Jamie Pollard is doing a good job hiring and keeping coaches. Jamie is making a career out of dealing with disasters he somehow creates. If this is the "next level", I would like to return to the "old level". I would happily take a #10 seed in men's NCAA BB and a trip to a non BCS bowl next year.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The question is given the string of failed coaching hires by Jamie, would he fire himself?? My sense is that Mr. Pollard does not believe in his coaches being "victims of circumstance". I can't believe that Cael Sanderson is leaving and somehow it is unfair to question whether or not Jamie Pollard is doing a good job hiring and keeping coaches. Jamie is making a career out of dealing with disasters he somehow creates. If this is the "next level", I would like to return to the "old level". I would happily take a #10 seed in men's NCAA BB and a trip to a non BCS bowl next year.

Maybe you should read up on your facts before posting...

Like this:
UPDATE: Sanderson talks about decision to leave for Penn State

Blame Pollard?

clonedog

Dec 12, 2008
And when Bill and Johnson jump ship; who should become the target of our "focus". Increasingly, I would say the odds of Bill and Coach Johnson leaving are going up by leaps and bounds. If coach Mac does not reel in Harrison Barnes, we will be looking for a new Men's BB coach in a year or so. We are doing all this for the "next level". Heck, I would like to be around for Jamie's talk with Bill about the prospects for going to the "next level"...

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Victim of Circumstance.

If Cael got offered $500/yr - it would be a no-brainer for Cael to go and for Pollard to let him go.

It is all about the $$$, but Cael can not come out and say that.

Cael wasn't offered 500K a year. He has already came out and said that.

With Cael's salary, camps, and paid speeches, I am guessing he made anywhere from 200K to 300K a year. This is why I doubt he left for the money....he didn't need it

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
And when Bill and Johnson jump ship; who should become the target of our "focus". Increasingly, I would say the odds of Bill and Coach Johnson leaving are going up by leaps and bounds.
If either wanted to leave, they would have already done so. Both have had numerous offers to go other places, and they're here. What does that tell you?

If coach Mac does not reel in Harrison Barnes, we will be looking for a new Men's BB coach in a year or so.
Wanna bet me on this?

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Maybe you should read up on your facts before posting...

Like this:
UPDATE: Sanderson talks about decision to leave for Penn State

Blame Pollard?
Yes, I believe Pollard is the responsible party.

It is the AD's responsibility to hire and retain the best coaches possible. There really isn't anyone else that bears that responsibility.

I don't blame coaches for leaving. It is the coaches responsiblity to do what they consider is in their best interest.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Cael wasn't offered 500K a year. He has already came out and said that.

With Cael's salary, camps, and paid speeches, I am guessing he made anywhere from 200K to 300K a year. This is why I doubt he left for the money....he didn't need it

I have to admit the Penn St wresting complex is impressive that is something ISU cannot afford to build. Cael isnt going to come out and say he left for the money, or what he is making. We will know that soon enough. Saying he didnt leave for the money is crazy, coaches do that all the time, why is he any different.

clonedog

Dec 12, 2008
I had read the article. It is not about money. It is not about facilities. My sense is Cael does not see himself at "the next level" at ISU. Now why would a guy who bleeds Cardinal and Gold, not see himself at the next level at ISU. Jamie is not getting it done, we are in a serious financial jam, and Cael sees more opportunity for success elsewhere. Jamie is no longer able to sell hope to his own troops and he is not going to be able to continue to sell hope when the effort to go to the next level is producing levels bordering on disaster.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Yes, I believe Pollard is the responsible party.

Were you going to foot the bill for a new, state of the art facility for him? We're you going to foot the bill to give him a raise? Were you going to raise his budget for spending on recruiting and other wrestling expenditures, etc.? No? That's what I thought. There wasn't a thing Pollard could've done to keep him here.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I have to admit the Penn St wresting complex is impressive that is something ISU cannot afford to build. Cael isnt going to come out and say he left for the money, or what he is making. We will know that soon enough. Saying he didnt leave for the money is crazy, coaches do that all the time, why is he any different.

Do you think Roy Williams would leave UNC if Vanderbilt offered him a million more a year?!?! Come on. If you can't see the difference here I don't know what else to say.

Once again, Cael has said that he isn't making anywhere near 500K a year.