A week ago, 90% on this board didn't care about wrestling.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I say that as a person who has posted on the wrestling thread in the past. Very few posted on CF, or expressed their pleasure with how the program was going. Now that Cael leaves, what happened?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I probably won't care a lot next week, either. It just doesn't catch my attention very much. More than likely, I'm not alone on that.

I think it mostly gave people a chance to cry about JP. So many people just aren't happy if they aren't complaining.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I agree with you - but this is a microcosm of what has plagued our entire athletic department for a decade or so now.

When somebody that is as big of a part of Iowa State Athletics as Cael leaves the program he professed to to love more than anything in life, it really makes people step back and ask questions of what is wrong that causes even that person to bolt.

While most people couldn't care less and just use it to further their agendas of bashing anything and everything that goes on - some see it as a sign that something is fundamentally wrong.

Reactions: CycloneYoda

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
One instance...this is just one instance.

No.
More.
Spin.

And that's what this "no one cared about wrestling before today" is...spin and another way to soften the blow. This is bigger than just the sport. It's a legendary Cyclone flying the coop. It's another bad day in a laundry list of sour days.

If this were just some coach not named Cael, it would not be near the issue that it is.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
One instance...this is just one instance.

No.
More.
Spin.

And that's what this "no one cared about wrestling before today" is...spin and another way to soften the blow. This is bigger than just the sport. It's a legendary Cyclone flying the coop. It's another bad day in a laundry list of sour days.

If this were just some coach not named Cael, it would not be near the issue that it is.

To most people in the state, it's not an issue. It's just something to be hypersensitive about.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
And...

Most that are complaining and aren't wrestling fans, are complaining that the biggest Cyclone legend in our entire history as a University just left for a program that was 1-6 last year and has very little tradition compared to us. When you're a truly elite program in the sport, are paying the coach the highest salary in the business and he is more Cyclone than anybody before or after him - it raises some big flags when he bolts after three years.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I agree with you - but this is a microcosm of what has plagued our entire athletic department for a decade or so now.

When somebody that is as big of a part of Iowa State Athletics as Cael leaves the program he professed to to love more than anything in life, it really makes people step back and ask questions of what is wrong that causes even that person to bolt.

While most people couldn't care less and just use it to further their agendas of bashing anything and everything that goes on - some see it as a sign that something is fundamentally wrong.

I agree with you on this Jeremy, well said. But it may simply be more money, and a better opportunity for Cael. In that case, it is part of business.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
I say that as a person who has posted on the wrestling thread in the past. Very few posted on CF, or expressed their pleasure with how the program was going. Now that Cael leaves, what happened?

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
When you're a truly elite program in the sport, are paying the coach the highest salary in the business and he is more Cyclone than anybody before or after him - it raises some big flags when he bolts after three years.

This.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
And...

Most that are complaining and aren't wrestling fans, are complaining that the biggest Cyclone legend in our entire history as a University just left for a program that was 1-6 last year and has very little tradition compared to us. When you're a truly elite program in the sport, are paying the coach the highest salary in the business and he is more Cyclone than anybody before or after him - it raises some big flags when he bolts after three years.

Bingo, it's starting to look like Pollard isn't a blast to work for or people jumping off a sinking ship...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
To most people in the state, it's not an issue. It's just something to be hypersensitive about.

Exactly. As I posted in another thread, very few on this site even read the wrestling forum before today. Now, it's another symbol of the pseudo-indignant, "woe is Iowa State" attitude that a lot want to take. Yes, the world is ending because a sport that loses money that you didn't care about two days ago has a coaching change. :jimlad: Just admit that you want something to be pissed about, and get it over with.

Reactions: ketelmeister

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
And...

Good post.

At the same time, there's never a point reacting when news is fresh. People that are emotionally attached will go over the top, people that don't know will say whatever junk is on their minds.

By the time the real story shows up, things have already gone crazy. I really hope people don't live this way, but I know too many that do.:no:

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
A big part of the reason I'm paying a lot of attention to it is because of JP and yet another person who has given him a low blow. I support Jamie and never have had any doubts about him, and know he will get a coach of the same or better caliber to Cael. Let's buckle down for another rebuilding process!

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Exactly. As I posted in another thread, very few on this site even read the wrestling forum before today. Now, it's another symbol of the pseudo-indignant, "woe is Iowa State" attitude that a lot want to take. Yes, the world is ending because a sport that loses money that you didn't care about two days ago has a coaching change. :jimlad: Just admit that you want something to be pissed about, and get it over with.

Apparently Angie also works for the athletic dept. Don't you folks get the night off to enjoy the VEISHEA activities?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Well-reasoned post. Intelligent response right there.

When someone is calling people out for not being reasonable and saying the only reason people are upset is they are seeking out reasons to just be mad - hard to come back with anything else. I'd call that line a "well-reasoned" post as well.

I've listed countless facts as to why this is a very upsetting event and it's just another issue in a long trend of bad events.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Apparently Angie also works for the athletic dept. Don't you folks get the night off to enjoy the VEISHEA activities?

No, I actually just recognize these sports for what they are - entertainment. I am calling out the people who want to be pseudo-indignant over something they never cared about before, and for trying to bring up arguments about "awful coaches" they would have knelt down in front of two years ago.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
When someone is calling people out for not being reasonable and saying the only reason people are upset is they are seeking out reasons to just be mad - hard to come back with anything else.

I've listed countless facts as to why this is a very upsetting event and it's just another issue in a long trend of bad events.

Your "facts" include Wesley Johnson leaving. Yeah, that has anything to do with the AD.

Edit - or just see CycloneErik's post three down, because he says it better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron