Just got back from HyVee

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I had 4 years of accumulated car coins that I cleaned out on Saturday and they were the only place I could find that would do it. No banks that I could find would do it at all, not even for a fee, which I offered. They would only do it if I was a customer and since I still bank in Aplington, that wasn't going to happen.
Anyway, my plastic baggy was very heavy with the change and my wife said there was probably $30 in there. Turns out there was $114.92. I bought myself a candy bar on the way out to celebrate.
Anyone have any change stories?

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
My grandma brings me a lot of her change at the end of every year. It's always about $100.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I have about 90 lbs of coins in the basement. I need to find something to do with that.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I had a root beer mug from A&W that I filled up with solely quarters, and kept the other change in another cup. When the mug was almost overflowing, I brought it to my bank, and they counted it up. If I'm remembering correctly, it was $108. Pretty solid, and that wasn't even all the change.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I refuse to pay those Coinstar machines the fee to count my own money. Bank of America doesn't have the change counters at their branches anymore.......pretty lame.

So I sent the fiance to her credit union with half of my change. It came out to about $165.

You know those plastic jugs that they use to put popcorn in for fundraisers? I use one to put my change in, and it was overflowing. So I had probably around $350 in change in there.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I don't get as many coins as I used to, but back in HS I worked as a delivery driver and made pretty good tips and ended my nights with a lot of coins. So I have an Iowa State oversized coke-bottle shaped holder that I put it in for about a year and took it into a US Bank thinking it would be around 60-80 dollars. Turned out it was over $400! It was mostly quarters, but I had everything mixed in. The stuff really adds up.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I don't get as many coins as I used to, but back in HS I worked as a delivery driver and made pretty good tips and ended my nights with a lot of coins. So I have an Iowa State oversized coke-bottle shaped holder that I put it in for about a year and took it into a US Bank thinking it would be around 60-80 dollars. Turned out it was over $400! It was mostly quarters, but I had everything mixed in. The stuff really adds up.

Taking change to the bank is always fun because the amount is usually more than expected. I always keep change in my cupholder and on my desk.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Last year when my parents started their house remodel they cashed in all the coins they had stashed up. Mind you, they've actually been putting coins in rolls for probably 20 years now. We kids had slowly raided this thing of all quarters (mainly for laundry at school). I think we had about 200 lbs of coins when we went to the bank. Grand total was about $700 I believe. We were nice enough to call the bank to see if they would mind us bringing it all in at once. They said to go for it.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I thought most banks made you roll your change if you wanted them to cash it for you. Is this still the case?

I remember hitting a coinstar at a Food Lion near Oak Island in 2003. I had a cashew jar that I'd been throwing change in over the course of a 4-month TDY. Came out to around 97.00.

CyclonesRule

Apr 10, 2006
West Des Moines
I hate carrying around coins so I have a glass gallon jug that I throw all my coins in and when it gets full I take it to my bank to have it counted and deposited. No fee there for me. I then will usually have something I am saving it for to spend on. Last time I bought a new gas grill, paid for about half of it will all the coins I had saved.