Cubs/Mediacom

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
First, is the game on ESPN gonna be able to be viewed in Ames by Mediacom users today or is it blacked out?

Second, I heard a rumor that coming in May that they are rezoning and thus Ames won't be blacked out anymore. Anyone know if that holds any water?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
First, is the game on ESPN gonna be able to be viewed in Ames by Mediacom users today or is it blacked out?

Second, I heard a rumor that coming in May that they are rezoning and thus Ames won't be blacked out anymore. Anyone know if that holds any water?

Tonight's game is an exclusive national broadcast, meaning no blackout.

No idea on the other question.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Yeah, you should be able to see the game tonight, and I hope to high heaven they rezone.

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA

You'd think that eventually MLB would realize it's a bad idea to prevent its fans from watching its product, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If anything ever changes, I'm guessing it'll happen in the offseason.

Reactions: CycloneErik

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
You'd think that eventually MLB would realize it's a bad idea to prevent its fans from watching its product, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If anything ever changes, I'm guessing it'll happen in the offseason.

True. I can't imagine them implementing changes after people have ponied up $$$ for extra PPV services...but...Bud is still in charge, so you never know.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
True. I can't imagine them implementing changes after people have ponied up $$$ for extra PPV services...but...Bud is still in charge, so you never know.
The problem is the current blackout restrictions even apply to the MLB Extra innings package... So if you buy MLB EI and live in Iowa you won't ever get to watch the Cubs on that service... Or the White Sox, Twins, Brewers, Cardinals, and Royals.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
The problem is the current blackout restrictions even apply to the MLB Extra innings package... So if you buy MLB EI and live in Iowa you won't ever get to watch the Cubs on that service... Or the White Sox, Twins, Brewers, Cardinals, and Royals.

That makes a lot of sense.....WTF.

Being's that Bud's own team is in the NL Central, he of all people should know how ridiculous the blackout rules are here in the midwest. It makes no sense to restrict people from watching your product.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
That makes a lot of sense.....WTF.

Being's that Bud's own team is in the NL Central, he of all people should know how ridiculous the blackout rules are here in the midwest. It makes no sense to restrict people from watching your product.
Iowa needs to be split up... Central IA probably should probably only call the Royals and Twins home...

Council Bluffs... only the Royals. To have the Brewers/Cubs/Sox blacked out in Council Bluffs is insanity.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny

AFAIK, the only way in Iowa to order Extra Innings is through DirecTV and Comcast Sports Chicago is available state wide on DirecTV's base packages. So unless you're a fan of a non-midwestern team, why waste the money on EI?

Oh, BTW, if you order EI through DirecTV, all of the local teams are still available on EI.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
AFAIK, the only way in Iowa to order Extra Innings is through DirecTV and Comcast Sports Chicago is available state wide on DirecTV's base packages. So unless you're a fan of a non-midwestern team, why waste the money on EI?

Oh, BTW, if you order EI through DirecTV, all of the local teams are still available on EI.
Thanks... I didn't think that was the case.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Thanks... I didn't think that was the case.

Thats because you would typically get the local teams without having to order extra innings.

MLB and Mediacom are the only two companies that I have ever heard that will not allow their customers to pay for a product.