Random observations from today's scrimmage

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
In no particular order:
  • Tiller isn't as effective in the air as Arnaud right now, but boy does he have some serious wheels. He busted one for major yardage today. I can see our coaches using him very strategically in certain situations. The defense will be spread out and they'll have to respect his arm, but they'll have a tough time keeping him contained when he pulls his arm down.
  • Some excellent catches out there today, but also several drops.
  • Too many penalties, but that's probably par for the course for this time of year.
  • I'm no coach, but it appears to me that the Dline philosophy seems to have changed since last year. It seems there's less emphasis on staying in your gap and more emphasis on getting penetration and disrupting the offense. Linebacker is still an area of concern right now, and it will be nice to have the JC all-american joining us this summer.
  • LJ is still the man out there. He had a couple of excellent plays in the endzone and also got a pick off a deflection.
  • It looks like the tight ends will play a role in our offense and that's good because we've got a couple of quality tight ends.
  • Arob is clearly the #1 running back. Schwartz and Bo both had some nice plays, though.
  • I really think we'll be much more effective in the red zone this year because we'll have so many more dimensions on offense. Also, you may see a few major rinkles in our offense when we get inside the 10.
  • I love the passion of our head coach!

Reactions: cyismydog

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
Point #4 - I'm not sure if we are athletic enough to pull it off but it is good to hear about the defensive line penetration. Everytime I saw South Florida play the last couple years they seemed to be constantly in their oponents backfield. Their front seven were attack, attack attack.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Big learning curve.

More aggressive defense will be good, but we can get burned more often if not staying in zones. Oh well, can't be any worse than last year...:jimlad:

jt tailgater

May 22, 2006
Point #4 - I'm not sure if we are athletic enough to pull it off but it is good to hear about the defensive line penetration. Everytime I saw South Florida play the last couple years they seemed to be constantly in their oponents backfield. Their front seven were attack, attack attack.

it helped that they had an All American quality DE in Selvie

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I'd expect Bo Williams to be third string coming into the year. Jeremiah Schwartz looks like a damn football player.

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
I agree about Schwartz. I really like his stick it down your throat style of running. I think he's going to be a huge fan favorite.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Schwartz is gonna be huge for the next 4 years. He would have played last year if he didn't tweak his knee in August.

A RB with the ability to pick up a 3rd and 1 or 4th and inches is badly needed.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Big learning curve.

More aggressive defense will be good, but we can get burned more often if not staying in zones. Oh well, can't be any worse than last year...:jimlad:

I'll take that trade off. QBs were much too comfortable sitting back there picking our defense apart with no pressure. Our DBs are good enough that more pressure should result in more picks. TOs are huge and we need to do more do force those. I'll give up a few 1st downs for more TOs anytime.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I'll take that trade off. QBs were much too comfortable sitting back there picking our defense apart with no pressure. Our DBs are good enough that more pressure should result in more picks. TOs are huge and we need to do more do force those. I'll give up a few 1st downs for more TOs anytime.

Same here. Our DB's may not have been as bad as they looked all year last year.....but we'd never know it as the opposing QB's always had all day to choose a receiver and throw. Even the best DB's can only cover effectively for maybe 4-6 seconds.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
In no particular order:
  • Tiller isn't as effective in the air as Arnaud right now, but boy does he have some serious wheels. He busted one for major yardage today. I can see our coaches using him very strategically in certain situations. The defense will be spread out and they'll have to respect his arm, but they'll have a tough time keeping him contained when he pulls his arm down.
  • Some excellent catches out there today, but also several drops.
  • Too many penalties, but that's probably par for the course for this time of year.
  • I'm no coach, but it appears to me that the Dline philosophy seems to have changed since last year. It seems there's less emphasis on staying in your gap and more emphasis on getting penetration and disrupting the offense. Linebacker is still an area of concern right now, and it will be nice to have the JC all-american joining us this summer.
  • LJ is still the man out there. He had a couple of excellent plays in the endzone and also got a pick off a deflection.
  • It looks like the tight ends will play a role in our offense and that's good because we've got a couple of quality tight ends.
  • Arob is clearly the #1 running back. Schwartz and Bo both had some nice plays, though.
  • I really think we'll be much more effective in the red zone this year because we'll have so many more dimensions on offense. Also, you may see a few major rinkles in our offense when we get inside the 10.
  • I love the passion of our head coach!
How did the team speed look on defense?