drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
When I think of PETA I think of...

thumbnail.aspx

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
That is exactly the point. They want to try and do something so bizarre that people are talking about. Kind of like that annoying song that get's stuck in your head, or that really annoying commercial that people hate, but can't forget. It's all advertising in one form or another.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Still bothers me that CNN felt it necessary to put this headline on the frontpage.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
That is exactly the point. They want to try and do something so bizarre that people are talking about. Kind of like that annoying song that get's stuck in your head, or that really annoying commercial that people hate, but can't forget. It's all advertising in one form or another.

Yeah - I get that.

But when trying to institute social change - I'm not sure the best way to go about it is making yourselves a laughing stock that people go out of their way to ridicule and do the opposite of.

Take for instance the last line about "sea kittens". That just went to remind me that I was hoping to go fishing this weekend. I may use two hooks as well.....

:wink:

Makes you wonder if the original founders of PETA, who I'm guessing had very noble and serious intentions, aren't looking at what's become of this and thinking "what the ****?"

Last edited:

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

You better watch out, djcubby. PETA people will be coming after you with that photo of that dog wearing the bunny ears and slippers. If that's not animal abuse I don't know what is! :jimlad:

You too, SouthernHawk. Shame on you for posting that "creepy" dog photo.

Last edited:

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
This is the exactly what PETA wants. Pull enough crazy stunts to get people talking about you, a small percentage of those people are going to agree with you and bam, new members.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA

It might work when trying to sell me Quizno's sandwiches, but not when trying to bring about serious social change.

I am all for fighting cruelty to animals, but PETA just makes all animal rights activists look like a bunch of whack-jobs....not a good way to get something done.

Reactions: DaddyMac

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Is PETA real? Do they sit around a think tank and estimate what it takes to get on CNN?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
This may get this thread derailed to the cave, but PETA is criticizing Joe Biden for purchasing a purebreed dog rather than getting a rescue.

Personally, I'm all for adopting rescues, but PETA is taking this too far....they ran "buy one, get one killed" ads after Biden's story made headlines.

Link:
Biden's Puppy Breeder: "Never, Never, Never Again" | NBC Philadelphia

But what happens if nobody buys those purebreeds?

I'm with you - adopting rescues is a great thing. But the problem isn't people not adopting them. It's people who don't get their dogs "fixed" and/or get a pet that they really are ill equipped to have - then are forced to give it up.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
PETA is just another group looking for their rights and place in society. Just like same sex marriage and all the other crap I pay for and don't need via taxes...and Barney Frank, Thanks to you and all your friends for everything......you smucks!

And for those that are surprised CNN has it on the front page, why would you as it has gotten as tabloid as the other media outlets. I watched a segment last night and Dr. Gupta was doing a show on location, in Canada implying that if the small town and ski resort had a helicopter, Natasha Richardson, may of still been alive. So for those of you that ski without a helmet, you are risking your life skiing in places outside the city? Yep, skiing in places that are not near an urban setting may kill you if you hit a tree, because rural areas are to far from trama centers...WOW cutting edge news worthy information! What really killed her was the socially crappy medical system in Canada...

And finally, if you have a pet, take care of it. My little buddy in my avatar is 12 years old.

Okay, I feel better....:smile:

Z

Last edited:

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
I think it's ironic that they want them to rename themselves pet shelter boys, when the "rescue" shelter they run in Conneticut adopted out 7 dogs out of 2,400, the rest of which were euthanized. They are against pets in the first place, so the fact they are even doing this makes them the ultimate hypocrites, besides, I LOVE MEAT!