Wow...we are dead last in football recruiting

Discussion in 'Football' started by freerockhere, Feb 10, 2008.

1. clone2011

clone2011 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Recruiting stars don't win championships.

Gridiron stars do.

2. drum1306

drum1306 Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Ranking individual players means as much to me as writing a movie review based upon it's actors/actresses. We all know it's about more than that. You want to rate our class? Wait two or three years.

3. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    Recruiting rankings dont win games. Weight coaches, coaches developing players, game plans, and player development does.

4. twojman

twojman Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Male
    Being awesome
    Clive

DING! I will take a bunch of hard working 2 stars over some 5 star me only type guys that only care about their stats and moving to the NFL. If ISU can get team players and hard workers that are 4-5 stars then I will be extremely pleased.

I think in the next 2-3 seasons we are going to see some great things just because of ISU's strength and conditioning program.

5. AirWalke

AirWalke Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Des Moines
    We've been dead last or near dead last ever since they started ranking recruits. Just wait a few years, and then judge.

6. HandSanitizer

HandSanitizer Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    NA
    Central US
    Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, Gallery, Keading, Considine etc....Those guys were a bunch of average joes and they seem to be doing well now. We will be fine. Just think about this. We won 4 games 2 years ago and 3 games last year. Lets give him time to win a few game and then see what happens. I am pretty happy with this class.

7. throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
    Engineer
    Minneapolis, MN
    It's amazing how your recruit rankings will go up once you've had a few good seasons. I think this has more to do with national respect than it does for the actual caliber of players you get. I wonder how high Kansas' class would've been ranked had they not done as well as they did last year.

8. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Below is how our classes have ranked nationally since 2002. I get the impression that a lot of the higher rated guys in some of these classes either didn't make it to campus or didn't pan out. Although I'm somewhat disappointed in the strength of this class as compared to the rest of the Big XII, it appears to be similar to pre-Chizik classes. If our team is going to improve it will be because of superior coaching of the kids we get, not due to getting superior athletes.

2008 - 62
    2007 - 60
    2006 - 63
    2005 - 58
    2004 - 42
    2003 - 46
    2002 - 31

9. jDub

jDub Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Waukee
  10. CY ST8T

CY ST8T Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Dienhart was on KXNO the other evening and said that if you ever go back and look at a top 100 of players coming out 5 years ago you will only recognize a small percentage of them. Just go back and look at our 2002 recruiting class. There was 5 four star recruits and I believe the only two that even made an impact were Austin Flynn and Stevie Hicks (if that?) Stars don't mean crap!

11. benjay

benjay Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    You can't evaluate a class before the ball is snapped.

12. Erik4Cy

Erik4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Male
    Home Mortgage
    Urbandale, IA
    wrong msg board. i think you MEANT Seneca Wallace, Ellis Hobbs, Tim Dobbins, Sage Rosenfels, Reggie Hayward, James Reed, etc.

13. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    Sorry folks, I'm of the opinion that if Iowa State never has the comparable talent, then we will consistently (not a one-game fluke) lose to the the LSU's and USC's.

It's been that way for my 32-years as a 'Clone.

I would love to see the outcome when ISU signs the most 4/5 star recruits and has the top ranked recruiting class in the nation..... Even with Donnie Duncan as HC.

14. anticyclonic

anticyclonic Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Lake Rathbun
    I am sure Notre Dame has had a top ten recruiting class each of the last 5 years and look how they performed on the field last year. They also have not won a bowl game since the 1988 season. Several of our 3 star players would be listed as a 4 star player at a named school. Plus we got the Hamer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am excited about this class, especially the speed.

15. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny

Add us to a list of 100 other schools.

16. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    I'm sure ND had higher ranked recruiting classes than ISU in the last 5 years. I believe their record in last 5 has been: 43-31 with (3) bowl trips.

ND is a perfect example how recruiting rankings don't always = an excellent season

None the less, I believe this is the exception and I would take LSU, USC, FL, TX recruiting classes for the last 5 years over any of our classes. Heck, I'd probably gamble on taking ND's last 5 classes over any of ours.

Just my opinion and nobody on a message board is gonna change that. Only Gene Chiz can.

17. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Let's worry about beating the Baylors, aTms, TTechs, OSUs, Mizzous, KUs, K-States, Colorados, and NUs on our schedule on a consistent basis. Then we can worry about beating the bowl teams that go with beating said teams. Then we can worry about beating the OUs and Texases on our schedule. Then we can start worrying about beating teams such as the LSUs and the USCs.

In other words, we've got a lot smaller fish to fry before we worry about whether we can compete with LSU or USC.

18. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    From my point, you could have substituted OU & TX for LSU and USC; but it's still the same argument to me. For a change over my last 32 years as a 'Clone, I'd like to see what would happen if we had a highly ranked recruiting class, with plenty of 5* players.

19. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    My point still applies - let's worry about beating the teams in conference we SHOULD beat instead of being up in arms about not being able to compete with Texas and OU on a yearly basis.

Would I like 5 5-star athletes on my team? Sure, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen. Keep one thing in mind - how did that work out for Iowa over the last 5 years? Not so well.

I think I'll hold onto Chizik's stated recruiting philosophy - he's not necessarily looking for the best athletes in America - just the right ones. Sure, our recruiting class doesn't rank as "best" in America, but I venture to guess that Chizik thinks there's a whole lot of "right" athletes in this class.