Worst Iowa State Team Ever?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Thead summary:

(1) A 10 year old asks if this is historically the worst isu team ever; (2) OP quicly rebuked by other posters who have a historical sense of the program; (3) OP ******* at those who gave him correct perspective. I like it.

Reactions: ChickenWing

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I can think of 10 worse teams in my ISU lifetime than this team.

This team has simply had a recipe of disaster. Youth, injuries, and an odd schedule. All together it has equaled the season we are seeing now.

Let's also not forget poor, or, at least, questionable coaching decisions, failure to execute (poor throws, dropping catches, etc, some of which can be blamed on youth, but not all of it), and, let's face it, some of the worst officiating we have all ever seen, has also contributed to the season we are witnessing now.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
What is your agenda here? It certainly isn't to support the team.

The 2003 team returned something like 40 players in the two deeps, and they lost ten in a row. Mac was 6-27 after the years, WITH a 2000 years rusher in two of those seasons. Walden had an 0 fer.

No this team is not the worst in school history.

14-36 in scoring; 3600 vs 5300 yards total offense. Awful.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well, I'm not 40.

I'm not 40 either, and I've been an ISU fan for less than half of my life, but even I can think of ISU teams worse than this one.

"This is the worst ISU team ever" as a final answer "factual" statement followed by laying into anyone that may disagree with you, despite facts or anecdotes brought to the conversation, is either lazy fandom out of you or a "Look at me and my self-importance" type of attention-whoring that nobody appreciates. In any case, it's bad and you should feel bad.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
14-36 in scoring; 3600 vs 5300 yards total offense. Awful.

2003 was the worst I have seen since following closely in the Walden era. That includes the late 90s, where I was at a game where we rushed the field after beating Ball State.

In 2003 we averaged 8 ppg in conference and were terrible on D.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
So Mike Gundy says you're not a man?

Also, thread title says "Worst Iowa State Team Ever," not "Worst Iowa State Team I Have Seen Personally With My Own Eyes." This year's team is pretty bad - yesterday's first quarter was atrocious - but there have been Cyclone teams far worse than this one.

The title is a question not a statement dumb ***. I'm not saying they are the worst, but they are among the worst.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.

The 2003 team returned something like 40 players in the two deeps, and they lost ten in a row. Mac was 6-27 after the years, WITH a 2000 years rusher in two of those seasons. Walden had an 0 fer.

No this team is not the worst in school history.

No Agenda, I just think our team is painful to watch.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
ha! Then why did you start this ridiculous thread without having the necessary perspective?!

I didn't realize I need to be a Geezer to pose a question about our team's history.. I'll be sure to age 20 years before I make another post of this nature.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
Thead summary:

(1) A 10 year old asks if this is historically the worst isu team ever; (2) OP quicly rebuked by other posters who have a historical sense of the program; (3) OP ******* at those who gave him correct perspective. I like it.

Yes, I'm 10. And I'm soooo ******!!

I never said we're the worst. I just know there aren't that many worse teams.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Although skeptical of CPR, I will still buy my season tix next year, along with paying my Cyclone Club and Gridiron Club dues. Coaching ISU football is a hard job. Did you "support the team" when Mac was coach?

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
I'm not 40 either, and I've been an ISU fan for less than half of my life, but even I can think of ISU teams worse than this one.

"This is the worst ISU team ever" as a final answer "factual" statement followed by laying into anyone that may disagree with you, despite facts or anecdotes brought to the conversation, is either lazy fandom out of you or a "Look at me and my self-importance" type of attention-whoring that nobody appreciates. In any case, it's bad and you should feel bad.

I feel so bad.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I really think this team is better than 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2008. Unfortunately the conference is tougher now.

Note: Before ya'll say we lost to UNI, I'm basing my opinion on the fact this team is much improved since the first two games and would probably beat UNI and Iowa now.

i see no reason to expect such a thing. The games may look different but we could still easily lose them. Would to Iowa I'm pretty sure.

There have been a lot of poorer teams that didn't compete from the opening gun. The results this year are not much better unfortunately.

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
I really think this team is better than 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2008. Unfortunately the conference is tougher now.

Note: Before ya'll say we lost to UNI, I'm basing my opinion on the fact this team is much improved since the first two games and would probably beat UNI and Iowa now.

Couldn't disagree more. As much as the staff has to keep talking continuous improvements since week 1, it's not actually there.

Let's not kid ourselves either, Iowa would still beat us 9 out of 10 times and UNI probably 5 of 10. At Jack Trice even.

I can only speak for the past 15 years but only 2003 was clearly worse. The last 5 games will have to play out to say for sure where 2013 ranks in the forgotten years of Cyclone lore.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I am not going to read any of this, but I am going to assume you all have let the OP know that this is not just the works Iowa State Football team ever, but the worst team in the history of organized sports. Shut. The. University. Down.

Wilson

Sep 15, 2013
I think it has to be up there, if for no other reason than the parody scholarship limits and the like have created. In the seventies is was easy to be this bad, today you really have to work hard at it.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I think it has to be up there, if for no other reason than the parody scholarship limits and the like have created. In the seventies is was easy to be this bad, today you really have to work hard at it.
Yes, all the work the players put in during the off season was to be ******. What a dumb post.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I dont like comparing results (ie: records) between conferences or historically. There are so many variables you'd have to take into account. For instance the baylor score may be the worst ever on paper, but baylor has a crazy high powered offense that scores in a couple minutes time. Those Nebraska teams that destroyed us in the 90s did it by a power running game. Getting destroyed in that fashion is WAY more significant. There are so many variables. Like competition. Schedule. 9 conf games. Injuries. Officiating. Etc

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It hasn't played poorly enough to be considered the worst team in ISU history....YET.

Average conference losses approaching 26 ppg after yesterdays 31 point beat-down. The numbers are inflated, due to a 64 point loss, but severely deflated by the 1 point Texas loss.

Being outscored 129-34 in 2 games is right up there with that 2003 team. Even the Chiz-led teams played less-pathetically than this ISU team has in the last 2 weeks. If the previous 2 weeks become a trend for the rest of the season, you can put it in the books; worst team in ISU history.

It is inexcusable at this point, that Rhoads isn't shaking up his staff, trying new things on both sides of the ball, something, ANYTHING, to try to get this team back on course. It's the same **** week after week, nothing changes, he isn't doing anything or at least not enough to get this team back on its feet. I'm starting to think that like many other have stated on this message board, Paul Rhoads is in over his head. He is doing NOTHING right now. Doing nothing and getting the paycheck he is receiving is something nobody should be OK with. Time for CPR to own up to what's going on or at least start actively demonstrating he has even one iota what's going on.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The truth seems to hurt for most of you. This team looks very comparable to Chizik's two teams. Sad thing is I think this years offense is worse than McFarland's offense.