Woody Awarded Scholarship

Discussion in 'Football' started by CrossCyed, Aug 19, 2010.

1. CrossCyed

CrossCyed Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Oh, I do stuff
    Iowa
    Congratulations to Jeff. He's sure to get some playing time this fall.

2. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    I don't care what system you run, you need to have a big back.

3. mizouse87

mizouse87 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Des Moines
    Way to work hard and prove yourself worthy of a scholarship Mr. Woody. I commend your effort and work ethic. Congrats!

4. zach

zach Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2006
    The Subs
    Great news and great for him!

Z

5. pikecy10

pikecy10 Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Male
    Kansas City
    Jeff Woody

Heard that Jeff Woody received a full scholarship from Coach Rhoads today.

Congrats to Jeff, and I'm sure this almost ensures one of either Johnson/Hollis will be redshirting.

6. ISUCLONES15

ISUCLONES15 Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Altoona
  7. pikecy10

pikecy10 Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Male
    Kansas City
    Re: Jeff Woody

my fault. not sure how I missed that one originally.

8. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    Jeremiah Schwartz disagrees. I'm never a fan of walk on RB's, getting schollies especially when we are loaded at that spot, I'd rather see it go somewhere its needed. But congrats to this kid, his hard work has paid off.

9. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    If he earned it and put himself in a position to see the field ahead of other scholarship players, he deserves the scholarship. Best of luck to him.

10. ISUCLONES15

ISUCLONES15 Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Altoona
    If the coaches decide that Woody is the best fit to be the guy that comes into the game in short yardage situations and he is successful at getting that first down or TD, then I am all for him staying at RB. The coaches must really see somthing in him if he is in the lead for our #2 back, with all the young talent there is in the mix. I TRUST IN CPR!!!!

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Maybe the correct phrase should be a big back who runs like a big back and can get more yards than the play is blocked for.

12. ISUCLONES15

ISUCLONES15 Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Altoona
    That sounds like Ryan Kock.

13. heitclone

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    Thats the kool aid talking. Coaches do this all the time with hard working kids. I mean the year Shonn Greene blew up Paki O'meara was the "starter" against us and we all know how that worked out. People were all in agreement last year Schwartz wasn't a fit for this offense, why would this kid be I mean we run basically exclusively out of SG? It's a good story, I'm not trying to take anything away from this kid and its a good move to encourage walk ons but I'm skeptical about what kind of impact this kid will have.

14. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    The kid was rewarded for his hard work and I have a feeling he will help the team this year. He may not end up with a lot of carries but he will have the chance to pick up some tough yards and pass block.
    Even if the only contributions he ever makes are on special teams or a switch to defense, it is worth it to give him a shollie. It encourages everyone on the team when hard work is rewarded.

15. cyhiphopp

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    As far a Schwatrz goes, we are lucky we had the guy on the team last year, because we wouldn't have beaten Nebraska without him. None of the other active RBs were healthy enough, smart enough, or tough enough to run and pass block against NU that day.

I would have loved it if he would have stuck around this year but he decided to go somewhere he could play more. He was a talented dude who wouldn't have been the starter because he didn't fit the system, but could still have contributed to the team, just like Woody will.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Question. I have never seen a picture of Woody. Is he a black guy or white guy. Not that it matters. Just trying to get a mental picture of the kid.

17. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    You seem to be making the assumption that Schwartz and Woody are the same style of back. Maybe in size, but not in running style based on Coach Pope's comments. Since he has chosen to go on record and describe Woody as able to make great cuts and be explosive, I choose to believe him until proven otherwise. He has coached players in practice everyday and did not make the same type of claims about the running ability of Schwartz.

18. cyhiphopp

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny

[​IMG]

19. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    We take for granted that a fullback takes the snaps for us. No matter who starts next season, we're losing a HUGE weapon for short yardage situation. AA isn't going to take many negative yardage runs because he's a bowling ball and he's lethal short yardage. Stack the line against ARob and he doesn't have the power to go through people for an extra yard or two.

20. heitclone

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    Wow, thats a really good way to look at it. We have a hybrid QB/FB....:smile: