Wood Files. Bye Bye Chi-town!

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by guitarchitect7, Oct 30, 2007.

1. guitarchitect7

guitarchitect7 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Photographer
    As expected, right-hander Kerry Wood formally filed for free agency on Monday.

The question is, will Wood return to Chicago in 2008 or sign elsewhere?

The Cubs have indicated that they would like to keep Wood, who went 1-1 with a 3.33 ERA in 22 relief appearances in 2007 after getting a late start while recovering from shoulder surgery.

A starter for all but 11 of his 189 career games entering the 2007 season, Wood made a successful adjustment to pitching out of the bullpen and contributed to the Cubs' rise to the top of the National League Central.

Wood, who turns 31 next June, can exclusively negotiate with the Cubs until Nov. 12. If no deal is reached by then, he would also be free to talk to the other teams in the league.

On Nov. 12 of last year, the Cubs signed Wood to a one-year, $1.75 million contract following a 2006 season in which he had appeared in just four games.

Wood was named the National League Rookie of the Year in 1998, but he missed all of 1999 following elbow surgery and has battled shoulder problems since 2004. He did pitch in relief in 2005, but he needed arthroscopic surgery on his shoulder in August that year.

Wood, who served in a setup capacity this year, represents a key piece of the Cubs' 2008 roster puzzle. If he returns, he might be given a shot at closing, which would enable the Cubs to slide Ryan Dempster into the rotation. Or Wood could be re-signed with an eye toward keeping him in a setup role.
    All of these are among the decisions facing the Cubs and general manager Jim Hendry this winter. And now that Wood has officially filed, the clock is ticking on that decision.

Link

2. CloneCubbie

CloneCubbie Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Progressive Ins
    Gods Country (Ames), Iowa
    Part of me feels like he owes the cubs for all those years we paid him and he didn't do crap. I'm sort of appalled that he's filing for free agency... on the other had, I'd sort of be glad to see him go. That's a lot of money for someone that you can't really count on. I'm sure he'll be just another ex cubs that goes on to win a world title somewhere else....

3. guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
    Photographer
    I just like the last line!

4. C.John

C.John Babysitting Debbie Downers
    Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Cubicle Dweller
    Despite all of the ups and downs of his career, I truly hope that he re-signs with the Cubs. I thought he performed very well out of the bullpen this last season and like the idea of Woodie and Marmol in the 8th and 9th innings.

5. DaddyMac

DaddyMac Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I feel pretty good that he'll be back.

One can't really blame the guy for doing all he can, to get what he can. The freeagent move is just another bullet in the gun. I don't know that it means all that much in regards to Kerry's intentions.

The biggest question is will Wood be content in the bullpen, or does he want to start again? And what will be the willingness of the Cubs or any other club to allow him to do that?

6. wesley_w

wesley_w Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Ames, Iowa
    I understand where you're coming from, but I guess that is the business of professional baseball. He certainly has made great efforts to come back from his injuries and I really want him on the team next year. I think he'd be great as a closer and he can even hit!!

7. Lastplace

Lastplace Member

Oct 23, 2006
    In order to have a quality team that can really win the postseason you need to have 3 REALLY good relievers (including the closer)

Look at Boston- Okajima, DelCarmen and Papelbon

I thought Wood looked pretty good towards the end of this year. If the Cubs had:

Wood, Marmol, Dempster and Kevin Hart pitches like he did in the little action he saw those 3-4 guys could be key to next year

Without Wood they might need to go pick up someone else

8. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Who cares, the guy is always hurt and when he actually does pitch it is only for 3 games before he gets hurt again.

9. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    I kinda like going and watching him in his yearly trip to Des Moines. The guy has/had so much talent, it sucks he keeps getting hurt. It also hurts his pocketbook. He went from making like $12 million per year down to $1.75 million this year.

Side note: What's the news on Prior?

10. CloneFan65

CloneFan65 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Math Professor
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Cubs will be in deep trouble if they leave spring training expecting Wood to be their everyday closer.

11. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    Wood will sign elsewhere and immediately become a Cy Young winner.:sad:

12. cyfanatic

cyfanatic Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I wonder if the White Sox will go after him? Although the relievers that had Cub ties that the White Sox had in their pen this year just $ucked (Sisco, Aardsma)!!!!

I bet the White Sox will look at him closely though...not sure Wood would sign on the South Side...unless it was his biggest offer?

13. guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
    Photographer
    Just to add, Jason Kendall filed for free agency. He earned 13 million last season in his last year of a six year, 60 million dollar contract that he signed with the Pirates.

14. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    I'm all for resigning Wood if the price is right. I think you can't overpay a guy that still did not pitch nearly 3/4 of this past season too if you think about it. And for Wood's sake I hope he sticks to pitching out of the pen at least 1 more season before trying to start again. Look at what it did for Smoltz. I think he needs to prove he can stay healthy for a full season before you move him back to a starter.

I'm really curious to see what happens with Prior. If they offer him arbitration I think you can only give him a 20% decrease right? Is he worth around $2.8 mil to see if he can get back to being healthy or not?

And I find it funny how Baker has already talked with Wood. If I'm Kerry there is no way in hell I pitch for the guy that helped mess up my arm by over-working him in 2003.

15. DaddyMac

DaddyMac Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Kerry's problems started way before Baker showed up on the scene.

However, more than Baker - I'm still scared to death with the idea that Rothschild is still running the staff on the north side.

:eek:

Over the past 5-7+ years, has any other team had remotely the same arm problems that the Cubs have? He was the first one I wanted out the door with Dusty, and he's pretty close to the only one still on board.