Winter Storm Affecting the South

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jkclone, Jan 29, 2014.

1. jkclone

jkclone Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    Student & Iowa State Fan
    Urbandale
    I really don't understand how the south is so inept in dealing with any snow. There are a lot of schools where students were kept at school. Lots of people abandoned their cars on the interstates. To add to this the assistant superintendent of Atlanta schools said they weren't even sure the students would get home today.

My question is how are they not able to handle this? I understand they don't necessarily have the equipment to handle it, but from what I understand it is like an inch in some of these places. If it were here we would pretreat the roads and maybe plow it if it hasn't already melted.

In other words what they view as a crippling storm is something we wouldn't even plan for. To add to it they were warned with plenty of time. I would never be able to live there if this is how they act.

2. CtownCyclone

CtownCyclone Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Project Engineer
    Houston
    Keep in mind that it is an extreme event down here. When you have seen measurable snow fall a handful of times in the past 100 years, you usually go with the "it will melt" theory of dealing with it. True to form, today will be 50, tomorrow will be near 70.

3. CycloneWanderer

CycloneWanderer Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Male
    Leadership Development
    Wandering
    ... get over it?

4. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Because they get so little of it.

5. mramseyISU

mramseyISU Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Male
    Operator Station Engineer
    Waterloo, IA
    They don't have salt, sand or plow trucks. Think about what winter would be like without those things and it makes sense.

6. MNclone

MNclone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN
    Friends in Birmingham were talking about kids spending the night at school because they were stranded in the snow and people abandoning their car a half mile from home. Then they sent a picture of about an inch of snow on the ground......

7. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

This and people just not being used to it. We have it every winter and there are still all sorts of idiots driving too fast for conditions during every storm.

8. urb1

urb1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Urbandale
    I was Hickory, NC back in the 90's. Arrived on a sunny day, and they had already canceled school the next day for a prediction of 2-4 inches of snow. Woke up to about 12 inches of snow the next day. It shut Hickory down. Steak and Ale was the only business open. Charlotte had four snow plows for the entire city. Two days after the snow, we took the interstate to Charlotte, and had to drive in tire tracks. They had not plowed the interstate yet. It's not feasible to but snow plows for something that rarely happens. It was funny watching people on the news shoveling their drives with a garden spade.

9. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I think we tend to take the pre-treatment of the roads for granted and don't recognize exactly how valuable it is for winter driving.

10. What I was seeing on TV this morning wasn't so much the snow, it was ice. Atlanta highways are skating rinks, and they don't have any salt or sand to use. They have to wait for it to melt. Meanwhile, the major highways are jammed with vehicles, many of which have been abandoned by their drivers and are just blocking the lanes. It's no wonder they are having trouble getting kids home from school.

Icy roads are bad, no matter where you live or what you drive.

11. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    I'm sure they don't have the equipment to pre-treat the roads like we have in the Midwest. Plus yesterday as soon as it started snowing everybody made a mad dash for home adding to the mess as the roads were already iced up by the time it started snowing.

12. Buster28

Buster28 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2011
    University archives
    Ames
    Yeah, the big problem with this storm was the ice, not the snow. The south has very few options to take care of a snowfall, but zero ways to handle an ice event. That being said, some Escambia County, Florida (Pensacola area) schools had canceled on Monday because of the cold. It was supposed to get into the upper 20s for lows. Wow.

13. jkclone

jkclone Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    Student & Iowa State Fan
    Urbandale
    We don't really do anything for a storm like that though. My point is we may pre treat and that is essentially it. I am not really thinking they are idiots for not being able to deal with the snow. I think it is more ridiculous that they can't deal with it so much that what we view as nothing forces people to be stranded. They had plenty of time to prepare and didn't.

14. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    No winter/all-season tires, no experience driving in snow, no salt/de-icer/sand....they are as well-equipped to handle snow and ice as NY/New Jersey were to handle a hurricane.

15. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Too soon.

16. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    Austin "pre-treated" problem areas like bridges, overpasses, and flyovers with sand, but that still left all of the many thousands of roadways untreated, and ice accumulated pretty quickly.

UT canceled classes twice in the last week due to ice, which entirely melted away by noon each day. In my 4 years at ISU, I think the school was closed once due to blizzard-like conditions.

17. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    This. Imagine the worst, most nervous, crappy drivers that you know and then multiply it by a couple thousand and put them on untreated roads at one time. All it takes is a few skittish drivers that don't know to decrease speed and increase following distance and you have a logistical nightmare. I guarantee that tow trucks are making a mint today

18. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    It's not just native southerners that can't handle the weather. There are plenty of northerners that have relocated for employment whose winter driving skills have atrophied with disuse.

19. Tailg8er

Tailg8er Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Male
    Accountant
    Johnston
    To everybody saying they have NO salt or sand down there: why the hell not?

I'm obviously not asking you guys directly, but if they have ~a week notice, why can't they get some shipped in? Hell, even if they only have a day notice, why not just have some stashed in a city garage somewhere? It's not like it'll 'go bad' if you don't happen to need it this decade.

I'm sure they wouldn't have the salt/sand distribution methods we have, but some would be better than none.

20. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009

Probably don't have enough plows/trucks to make it worth it. Someone said that economically, it's better for them to just shut down for the rare snow day than to maintain all the equipment and supplies needed to handle it. Sounds like they were only expecting a dusting and then yesterday morning realized they were going to get a couple inches. To us that's not really a difference, but to them that probably would have made them close everything ahead of time.