Will SDW ever be a starter?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by cyowan, Feb 1, 2014.

1. cyowan

cyowan Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Male
    Banking
    Ames, IA
    #1 cyowan, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    My roommate posed this question to me tonight. With MM, Thomas, Naz, Custer (possible redshirt?), hopefully Vaughn and who knows who else, will SDW ever be a starter for this team? We know he's talented and raw as a redshirt freshman, and will always have a place on this team as long as he wants it, we're just wondering what everyone else thinks.

2. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    Has the ability to be our best offensive player. Just isn't there yet for whatever reason. Might have to settle for a McGee like role though with all the taller guys coming in, and Thomas being the same year as him.

3. Cyclonin

Cyclonin Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    He's pretty strictly a 2 guard. Obviously Fred doesn't play the typical 1-5 set.

A lot of unknowns for the next 3 years, but I would assume MM and MT are 4 year players and pretty solid at the 1-2. Naz also is in there at the 2-3. Custer is a 1-2. Logic right now says no, but who knows how he will progress. Obviously, it would be great to see him become a starter, because that means he has improved greatly.

4. ISUCyclone06

ISUCyclone06 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Quality
    Greensboro, NC
    He will start his Senior season for sure, Junior season will be key for him. The kid is just a freshman.

5. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Who knows? Very young still and talented, so he could put it all together at any time.

6. isucy86

isucy86 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    SDW could definitely grow into a combo 2/3 player for ISU and get 20-25mpg. The key to his PT is becoming a consistent 3pt shot and a lock down wing defender ala Babb. SDW has the length and long arms to distract opposing jump shooters.

I don't see him starting over Thomas and I think Fred will always go with a bigger 3 like Clyburn and Hogue. With posts like Niang who roam the 3 point line we need a 3 who can get 7+ rpg

7. JohnnyFive

JohnnyFive Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Better question...will he transfer if he isn't?

8. MartyFine

MartyFine Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Warren Co., IA
    Can be a much better defender than he is now. Needs to take it to hoop on offense. Would not be surprised to see him improve as much as 3sus did in last year.

9. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    How in the world can you make a statement like this? Do you know the future?

What if Fred brings in a whole bunch of top 100 type recruits every year? Then SDW may never get the opportunity.

10. clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
    Male

That could end up being the question. Fred is going to recruit the very best possible players he can find. It is not his job to try to make guys happy. And we also know that Fred doesn't usually play 10 guys in his rotation. It's more like 7 or 8 usually. He wants the very best guys out there as much as possible.

So if SDW gets recruited over in the next few years, he may never see meaningful minutes. It will be entirely up to him and how hard he works to improve in the areas he needs to. And if guys aren't able to crack that top 8 or so in the rotation, then they aren't going to play. And Fred probably wouldn't care if they transfer out. Then he can go find someone else.

11. isuforlife

isuforlife Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2007
    can see him transfering

12. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    He's got 3 years left, let him grow

13. Bewilderme

Bewilderme Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Hey guys, let's support the kid and back off the transfer talk. It will do nothing good for us.

14. Senolcyc

Senolcyc Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    He's a freshman, right? That's what I thought.

15. Dryburn

Dryburn Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    No idea. You could have asked this question about Naz last year, and about half of the people (or more) would have been wrong with their answer.

I just don't understand the point of these threads in the middle of a successful season. They are just idiotic and serve no good purpose at all. Talking about transfers, and who will be starters next year, blah, blah, blah. Let's just talk about this season and enjoy it until it is over. Then, when all transfers in and maybe out are done, and all the LOI's are signed.......we can talk foolishly about who might be starting next year and playing the most minutes, blah, blah, blah.

16. bosco

bosco Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Des Moines
    Fred likes players who can shoot. If SDW shots were falling he'd be in the rotation now with Naz slumping.

17. mattyice

mattyice Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    No. If I was wagering...I'd bet transfer long before he starts. Been saying he's not a starter since arrival while many of you honestly thought he was just putting on weight ....eye roll.

And it's not because he isn't talented....we just have very talented players he's competing against . Good problem to have

18. heitclone

heitclone Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Male
    Recreation Therapist
    Malvern, IA
    Saying he won't start isn't a jab at the kid, he has potential but as of now, that's about it. I think we'll see is role grown the next couple of seasons, he'll help this team out plenty before he's done, it just may come off the bench. Doesn't seem like he's too worried about it, him taking a RS year says a lot about where his head is at.

19. clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    I agree. There is no way of knowing the future, so why speculate. He could be a starter someday, or he might not. He could transfer someday, or he might not. There are WAY too many unknown factors that will determine what happens.

All SDW can do is work as hard as he can, and then let the chips fall where they may.

20. CYfan004

CYfan004 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Obviously I could be wrong, but there just seems something special about SDW. Valedictorian and appears humble, seems he knows he has to do his time and earn minutes. Overall I just think he is a "good guy". Having this much talent, and speculation as to if/when someone will play is as many have said, a good problem to have. No question the kid is good, just needs a Matt Thomas moment where he gets his confidence. Well, that and playing time. **Disclaimer* I have a small Cyclone Basketball Man Crush on SDW.