why is there so much talk of northwestern on the bubble?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by theyork, Feb 26, 2012.

1. theyork

theyork Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Artist in residence
    hedgesville, wv
    17-11 (7-9). one win over a top 25 team. how does this make any sense to anyone? even if they win out they will only have 19 wins with 2 wins over top 25 teams and .500 conference record. i guess they don't have any "bad losses" like (ahem) drake, but still.

2. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    Probably because the bubble is so soft and they've never been in the NCAA tournament before.

3. theyork

theyork Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Artist in residence
    hedgesville, wv
    it almost feels like the media is going to will them into the tourney even they don't deserve a spot.

4. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    This is absolutely what I think is happening with NW. The media has picked up on how they've never gone dancing, and I think they're trying to force NW in there for the sake of a good story.

5. Die4Cy

Die4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Look, the sports media talking bobbleheads have been telling us all year long how great the Big 10 is. The NCAA tournament selection is their final exam. IF the Big 10 doesn't get 7 or 8 teams in, they look stupid, like they didn't know what they were talking about all year.

They don't want to look bad, so they have to keep it up. And then express their shock, SHOCK that the selection committee didn't see things their way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cincyclone

Cincyclone Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2012
    I almost think Iowa is more deserving than Northwestern. Iowa at the very least has a lot better wins.

7. BigJCy

BigJCy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Yep agree. The media wants the story of the 1st time getting in plus they are the "high academic" institution so that they want that "feel good" story.

8. bpmcclain

bpmcclain Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Ames
    Because they play in the best conference in the history of college basketball, duh :jimlad:

9. Acylum

Acylum Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2006
    USDA
    Parts Unknown
    BLASPHEMY! But true. I think Iowa is one spot above them in conference also. OTOH though, I think the Hawks only play the Buckeyes and the Spartans once each. How do they ALWAYS get the easiest possible schedule in football and basketball?

10. CYEATHAWK

CYEATHAWK Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2007

Haven't you heard? They play in the toughest conference...............ever!

11. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    I'd love for Northwestern to make the tourney sometime, but not this year. They just don't deserve it.

12. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    It's really evidence of the weak field (and how we werent really a bubble team). Who are you going to take instead? Colorado state? Miami? Those are the last in/ first out teams right now and they are worse than NW

13. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    Looks pathetic that 1/6th of the entire Big Ten has the same # of NCAA tournament wins as Ames Middle School.

It's a good conference, but historically that's the worst bottom of any major conference and worse than the bottom of several mid majors.

TCU has 6 more appearances and 5 more NCAA wins than Northwestern and Nebraska combined.

14. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    The thing is, if the Big Ten is so awesome, NW should have a chance to beat a ranked team every week and they've only beat one.

Can't rationally have it both ways.

I think Northwestern was actually better last year and the year before.

15. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Generally speaking, the media has already determined that a certain number of Big Ten teams are getting in, regardless of their real records or rip. Iowa is their newest ludicrous suggestion.

16. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Look at their home game against Baylor.

The very definition of "one of these two do not belong".

And Baylor is no "great" team.

17. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    This Iowa run has been great to get some of their fans back on the bandwagon for the first time in years, but I really think it has cost the Big Ten a tournament bid or two. A team just doesn't get housed by Campbell and Clemson and then rip through the an incredible conference with 75% tournament teams.

Illinois clearly played themselves out. Minnesota and/or NW may be staying home because Iowa exposed the conference as a whole and showed the common sense idea that an 18 win team in that league is no juggernaut.

7 or 8 is still likely. 9 is now very unlikely and 6 is a possibility for the first time. In large part thanks to Mad Fran and his scrappy Hawkeyes.

18. helechopper

helechopper Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2006
    ACD
    Chicago
    Let'em in and let them get their ***** kicked out in the first round.

19. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    FIFY

20. cyclones12321

cyclones12321 Active Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Us Cellular
    Newton Ia
    Two reasons IMO:

1.) The bigten is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overated!

2.) The media really wants a good story since they've never been to the big dance.