Why is Kane the face of this team?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by cyowan, Dec 26, 2013.

1. cyowan

cyowan Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Male
    Banking
    Ames, IA
    I think he's a good player, and I totally respect what he does on the court, but I feel that Ejim or Niang should be the face of this team. As a fan, those are the two I think of right now when thinking of leaders and impact players. Nearly every time I see something about the Cyclones pop up on my feed it has a picture of Kane attached. I understood it when Royce got the publicity, maybe I'm just not seeing it with Kane.

2. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    grundy center
    graduated transfer, had one more shot at a tourney and he picked ISU. Interesting off-the-court story. Great 4 year stat line.

I would agree that long-term Ejim or Niang is more the face of the team but without Kane we wouldn't be 11-0.

3. ISUCyclone06

ISUCyclone06 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Quality
    Greensboro, NC
    Not many guys in America are as fully rounded as Kane!

4. CyTwins

CyTwins Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    Because he's really really good

5. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    Melvin's off-court story is one of the best there is; the epitome of student-athlete

6. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

He filled a huge hole in our lineup, and does everything. There are arguably four guys who take turns as the face of this team. It's certainly DeAndre's turn right now.

7. CYfan004

CYfan004 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I'll agree with you.

Take nothing away from Kane, as I love having him around. I would say that the fans, and people that "know" Iowa State Basketball would say it's Ejim's team. At the Michigan game, when I saw him out there warming up, and then when he came in off the bench, the place went absolutely nuts. People in the "know", know it's him.

8. peteypie

peteypie Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    After that "foul" got called on him against Boise St, he seemed to take it up a notch. It was almost Royce like, where he just decided he was the best player on the court and he was going to prove it.

9. ty4cy90

ty4cy90 Active Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Ames/Spirit Lake
    How do you see him being the face of the team? I guess I don't see ISU athletics promoting him more than any of the others, and outside media does what it wants. He gets introduced last, but I think that is customary as forwards are introduced first.

10. buf87

buf87 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Male
    Iowa
    Any 3 could be the face of the Cyclones at any single time. Hogue would at brief times, but we have 4 monsters on this time that seem to show up all the time and they all seem like great team players

11. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    The guy is a beast. His personal story is just way more intriguing than Ejims.
    His numbers are crazy
    Being point guard, he runs the show
    Last shot at a tourney run
    Gave his shoes to a homeless guy
    Story of his father
    Etc etc
    Ejim is just a great guy and excellent representative but not much further to talk about

12. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Is this the **** we're worried about now?

• Like Like x 1
  13. mustangcy

mustangcy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    Kane is the best player on the team...on a team full of great players. Simple as that.

14. MartyFine

MartyFine Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Warren Co., IA
    Our entire team is like every player from the old "Arch Rivals" arcade basketball game, but especially Kane and Hogue...

[video=youtube;iGcw4ivEKnA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGcw4ivEKnA[/video]

15. cyowan

cyowan Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Male
    Banking
    Ames, IA
    I'm not worried about it, but not every thread can be about how great we are. I was just making conversation.

16. CyTwins

CyTwins Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    This. Versatility sells

17. Cyclonestate78

Cyclonestate78 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2008
    When the team starts the season a school record 11-0, wins a tournament championship, has a top 5 RPI, has a top 15 ranking in the polls, etc... This is the kind of pointless complaint that we are going to see. I guess it could be worse.

18. peteypie

peteypie Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Why not? We are 11-0.

19. HoopsTournament

HoopsTournament Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Male
    Consulting Actuary
    St. Joseph, MO
    There is no single person that is face of this team. And frankly there doesn't need to be. It is not "Kane's team" or "Ejim's team". Every one is a big contributor and on any night any one of the big four can take over a game (and have done so).

20. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    Hate threads like this. All it does is get fans to debate how one player is better over another, inevitably leading to someone saying something unneccessarily negative. In the end, does anyone care if someone is the face of this team as long as we are winning? bah humbug, man. It's our BEST EVER START. Be happy.