Why do we tackle so poorly?

Discussion in 'Football' started by CLONE2THEBONE, Sep 14, 2008.

1. CLONE2THEBONE

CLONE2THEBONE Active Member

Aug 4, 2006
    We aren't good at tackling. We weren't much better last year.

Why?

2. troyrew

troyrew Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Athletic Director
    Las Vegas
    Youth and a lack of size

3. iowast8fan

iowast8fan Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Ankeny
    we were worse at tackling last year.

4. Flag Guy

Flag Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Material Engineer
    Maryland
    Still have a lot of work to do on it this year... there were several plays we should have had sacks for big losses and they gained yards from it

5. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

I would have expected a bit more improvement in tackling to this point. It's only 3 games... So maybe they will get better.

If we want to get to 5 wins, they are gonna have to get better.

6. twojman

twojman Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Being awesome
    Clive
    #6 twojman, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
    ISU has not tackeld well since the end of 2005, ISU has stunk in the red zone since 2005 against BCS opponents.

7. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    If you fail to gang tackle like McC teams do, you need to wrap up their legs not just bounce off them. Looks like we do little gang tackling, so we need to go for the legs more.

8. isucy86

isucy86 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Bad Tackling = Loss

Tackling has been a problem at ISU for a long time. I've always blamed on ISU's lack of team speed, but it seems under Chizek our speed has improved but tackling has not. Bad tackling is bad enough in a base defense, but IMO it causes bigger problems on special teams where the guy with the ball is usually in space.

Tackling may be a struggle until we can develop a d-line that can control the line of scrimmage. That means a couple 290-300lb DT's and a strong side DE in the 270 range. It seems to me that opposing O-lines aren't forced to double team any D-lineman freeing them to tie up our LB's.

9. tim_redd

tim_redd Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Ankeny
    I think our tackling is poor because we always seem to go for the knockout blow instead of breaking down, wrapping up and making the sure tackle.

10. ISUonthemove

ISUonthemove Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Sports Photographer
    Altoona
    We're a small team right now, and we tackle high. We need to learn to hit low, especially with Summers from UNLV. I love they're not afraid to hit, but I'm tired of seeing them bounce off. Save the big hits for next year when you're 10-15 lbs heavier.

11. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    I don't buy either of those for one second. Youth? These guys didn't have to tackle people in Jr. High and High School? And you don't have to be a 6-5 260lb LB to wrap your arms around someone and drag them down.

Tackling is about technique and discipline. I think too many kids these days are looking for the highlight reel kill shot because that's what they show on ESPN every week (Jacked Up anyone?).

12. CyBelieve

CyBelieve Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Realtor
    Ankeny
    Are we talking about the game on Saturday? We cut the opponents yardage in half and their star running back to over 100 yards off of his average. They scored one TD....the problem wasn't our tackling (with the exception of the Punt return).
    I'd say to only give up less than 250 yards in those crappy wet conditions was pretty damn good.
    Put the ball in the end zone and we are writing how great the D was!

13. mplscyclone

mplscyclone Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Ames, IA
    It has to do with not stressing fundamentals and going for the big play. They see that the BIG hits make the highlights and want to look cool.

Also, I do still think there are times when our D-Line is a bit too slow. They just go for a weak arm tackle, which good QBs and RBs are going to avoid. I think our LBs and safetys go for the "big hit" and miss a lot.

It's kind of like basketball: Now-a-days, not many players, even guards, shoot the ball well. Mainly because they don't learn the fundamentals and work on shooting. They'd rather focus on layups and dunks because those are the highlights they see on TV.

14. clone61

clone61 Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NE Iowa
    Why dont we ask this guy...

[​IMG]

15. chriscyzer

chriscyzer Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Small business Owner
    Ames, Iowa
    you are exactly right

16. iowaboy

iowaboy Active Member

Apr 4, 2008
    School Bus Driver
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Because players of today are NOT taught how to tackle. In high-school they go for the big-hit as opossed to tackling the knees/thighs. Its like the slam dunk in BB. It takes little talent to dunk as compared to hitting over 50% of your threes but the crowd wants the dunk. Kids think that the big-hit will get oohs and ahhhs except its a high percentage of failure. Most of the time the Running back has more forward momentum than a defender and the laws of physics apply. Even if you get him.... he'll drive you back a few yards. Hit the knees and they will go down like the ground opened up on them. Its a matter of teaching them then insisting that they do what they are taught. Simple really.

17. cmoneyr

cmoneyr Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    100% correct, it starts young. If you don't learn to do it right from the beginning it's going to be damn near impossible to correct come college. I would like to believe it's not Chizik's doing, being such a defensive minded coach. But someone is not teaching these kids how to tackle properly. Hit low, head up, wrap your arms and drive through the tackle.

18. StLouisClone

StLouisClone Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    CPA
    St. Louis
    That and more gang tackling would help. I've seen a lot of guys standing around and watching.

19. CLONE2THEBONE

CLONE2THEBONE Active Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Seriously?

He would've had about 35 less yards if any of about 9 guys could've wrapped him up on one play.

The wet conditions are what held him as much as anything. Using Maine and FIU as the barometer to gauge success is...nevermind.

20. Rogue52

Rogue52 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Tackling has been a big disappointment for sure. I agree with the fact that players are messed up from a young age, but it's not a problem seen across ALL of college football. There has to be some things the staff can do.

I, unfortunately, don't feel that it's very fixable in-season. It can improve, especially player to player, but as a whole what you see is what you get.