Why are you an Iowa State Fan?

Discussion in 'In-State Rivals' started by HogueNation, Jan 3, 2017.

?

Why Are You a Fan?

1. Gameday Environment

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. School/Education

86 vote(s)
    55.1%
  3. Family Passed it on

56 vote(s)
    35.9%
  4. Other

12 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Desiigner

Desiigner Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Born and raised in Ames so didn't really have a choice.

2. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Publications Manager
    Macomb, MI
    My family is originally from out of state but moved to eastern Iowa in the mid-80s. My dad had no use for college athletics and my mom hated sports altogether, so with no influences from my parents and considering the environment I grew up in, I naturally became an Iowa fan. Actually, when I was going to school in Davenport at that time, being an Iowa fan wasn't all that popular of a thing - there were a lot more fairweather Michigan, Notre Dame, and Miami fans (funny how all those people are now Iowa fans). Probably why I hate all of those schools to this day.

When it came time to apply for college, I couldn't decide whether I wanted to be an architect or an engineer. Iowa had only an engineering program, Iowa State had both (and a better engineering program at that). I didn't even apply for any other school other than Iowa State, and by the time the Iowa-ISU basketball game rolled around in the fall of 1996 I had fully converted to being a Cyclone.

3. Farnsworth

Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    can't you find most of these answers in the why are you a fan of the teams you are thread?

4. CyArob

CyArob Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Staff Writer
    MN
    Because it's the right thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Was an Iowa fan in high school. Graduated from ISU, however, and the rest is history.

I don't hate Iowa like many on here do. I just don't root for them. I watch their games because a lot of my friends are Iowa fans and it's a team from the state in which I live.

6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    Only because I went to school there and it was awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy Active Member

Dec 10, 2013
    The struggle of growing up in the Starter Jacket era...

• Like Like x 1
  8. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    "other"
    Been employed here since 1984. Win or lose, they're still my teams.

I love the atmosphere on game days...can't do season football any more, but as long as I can hobble to Hilton, we'll keep our MBB tickets. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Started out because I liked a hat better (Walking Cy) when I was a little dude. Once I got into the 10 year old range, I started following them more closely and really got sucked in by the Johnny Orr era.

10. Gomer80

Gomer80 Member

May 17, 2011
    Nevada, Iowa
    My step-dad at the time was a part of or led the football and basketball stat crew when we moved to Nevada (town eight miles east not the state). We were given two free tickets to every home football and basketball from 1985 until I went to college in 1995. Before going to all of those games I was an Iowa fan, just because my friends were. Once I started going to all those games, I realized I really loved ISU athletics. I also then realized how much of the Hawk fanbase were/are a entitled a******* and it still reigns true today.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hawkmi1987

Hawkmi1987 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Male
    Grandfather went to Iowa, Father went to Iowa for undergrad and then Med-School, and ultimately I attended Iowa. It wasn't really a choice, it was ingrained in my subconscious at birth.

12. CyArob

CyArob Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Staff Writer
    MN
    All of that, and you're a cyclone fan. Well done!

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  13. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    I went to ISU and met my wife there. My parents attended ISU and met there. My grandfather and great grandfather both went there. I've had nearly 50 family members attend ISU in the last 100 years or so.

The other stuff comes with that. I don't see why anybody is just a fan of a random team. Just because you like the colors or their cartoon character? Which is probably why I don't follow pro sports much. Don't feel the connection.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. norcalcy

norcalcy Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Grew up in Iowa. Attended ISU, as did multiple family members. Have worked in agriculture all my life, so have lots of emotional connection to ISU and Land Grant schools. Was in Hilton the night Hilton Magic was born with Barry Stevens' amazing game winning shot. Have savored every football victory and upset. Current bowl season is a little depressing as it feels like ISU is a long way from being relevant. Somehow will convince myself there is hope and will be anxious for 2017 fball season to start.

• Like Like x 1
  15. lars4isu

lars4isu Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Ankeny
    I graduated Iowa State and was part of the football and track teams. Hate Iowa and always will. Most Iowa fans I know did not go to or finish college. Most did not ever step foot on the Iowa campus but they are this "die hard" hok fan... until they loose.

16. BikeSkiClone

BikeSkiClone Active Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Spent 5 wonderful years as a student in Ames, plus an extra year working. Worked in the AD most of that time and lived the Cyclones-centric life almost 24/7.

I knew Iowa State was the place for me after my campus visit day the Friday of Homecoming Week in 2005 and never really looked back.

17. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa
    My family went to Iowa State .................

18. Flynn4Heisman

Flynn4Heisman Member

Mar 24, 2006
    My father has a construction engineering degree from ISU, my step-mother with an Education degree (Master from UNI), my sister has an anthropology degree, and my mother attended ISU for a semester. It's a family thing.

I attended ISU for a year from 2013 - 2014, but I realized after the first three months that it just wasn't for me. While I didn't graduate, at least I can say I got there.

19. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    It wasn't football success I can guarantee you that. Lol.

20. SWCy13

SWCy13 Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Because I enjoy pain and suffering.