Who will we miss most from the contribuitng seniors of 2012/2013?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Who will we miss most from last year's contributing seniors?

• Chris Babb

Votes: 72 55.8%
  • Tyrus McGee

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Will Clyburn

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • Korie Lucious

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Kind of surprised so many are choosing Babb. With how inconsistent he was on offense, it's hard to choose him. Not that I don't think he'll be missed, just didn't expect to see such a runaway.

Not many people realize it, but we're losing size with Clyburn. He did a lot of dirty work in the paint, and nobody's really filling that role at the 3.

JackDog

Aug 31, 2012
Washington
You all are picking the defense-oriented player on a team that was probably the best offensive team in all of CBB at the end of the year last year. I can't argue that because I can't win (because it's really difficult to argue missing a good offensive player on a bad offense and vice versa) , but don't think it's right.
I would argue that since we were an offensive team with plenty of shooters, Babb will be missed most because he was the only defender. How many 80+ pt games were won by a few points when Babb held the opponents best scorer well below their average

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Clyburn ... who already seems destined to turn up on "Most underrated ISU players" lists somewhere down the line. Perhaps by February. His stats don't look good, but he possessed a type of utility that isn't easy to replace in the short-term.

Babb is a close second because of his defensive niche, and McGee isn't far behind for the shooting aspect.

If ISU had a departing player named Tyrus McBabb that combined those two, he'd win the poll.

I'll raise you Will McBabb. It is a team after all.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Tyrus's 3 point shooting will probably not be fully appreciated until we see this team play, but Babb's defense probably toughest thing to replace...

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Just out of curiosity, why?

As soon as I read this, my first two thoughts were Babb and Clyburn. I honestly think Babb though. We know that Fred's teams will not have a problem scoring, but Babb brought another level of defensive intensity that is hard to come by.

It's a tough question since Babb, Lucious, and Clyburn all made huge contributions. I lean towards Lucious also. He was a great PG, but his 1 year and roster full of scoring causes him to be overlooked. He was quick and had a lot of talent.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think Babb and Clyburn are really close, but at the end of the day, it was Babb who was the glue holding our defense together. He was always there to lockdown the other guys best scorer. Not only that, but a formidable 3 point shooter and was good for 10-15 points on any given night.

Clyburn will be missed too, but I am a little worried that opponents will just be scoring at will against us this year; even more so than last year.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
All will be missed, of course, but I could see someone stepping up to fill Babb's defensive stopper position. I don't see anyone filling Clyburn's role; we'll have to change our offensive approach because of that.

Reactions: necromancy

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
All of them had their moments, but I think it is McGee. No one else brought the consistent energy into a game. His shooting could totally change the momentum of a game, and his accuracy made him a dangerous scorer the other team had to cover. Unless Bluford or someone else can replace his accuracy and spark, I think he will be missed the most.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
All of them had their moments, but I think it is McGee. No one else brought the consistent energy into a game. His shooting could totally change the momentum of a game, and his accuracy made him a dangerous scorer the other team had to cover. Unless Bluford or someone else can replace his accuracy and spark, I think he will be missed the most.
Looking for Monte to provide the spark; Thomas the accuracy.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
A little surprised that Babb is running away with this and that Clyburn is so far behind. I wasn't aware that so many of the Welch ladies were CF's :spinny:

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I got to go with Clyburn. We are going to miss having a solid wing player like him on this years team. I'm surprised how many people are saying Lucious. I think DeAndre Kane is going to have just as good of a year as Lucious. Plus Monte Morris will also be solid.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Good poll question; I think this is like asking who the hottest Sports Illustrated swimsuit model is; you really can't go wrong with any answer.

I'm one of those outliers who picked Lucious. I don't think he's as good a PG as guys like Tinsley or even Blalock, but he was a steady, solid veteran, especially in the 2nd half of the season, and that can be very hard to replace, at least at the start of the season.

If we still had Bubu, I probably would have answered differently.

Reactions: necromancy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I am really worried about rebounding with this team so Clyburn. Plus he really took over some games down the stretch.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Checking in on this thread from the summer to see where people stand now. I was in the Clyburn camp, not knowing where we would get his scoring and rebounding. Hogue has obviously made up for the rebounding while picking up some of the scoring as well.

Babb will always be someone that people will want to bring back. It would be great to have him to guard Marble tonight. We would have a downright scary physical team with him at the 2.

I am going to go with the instant offense of McGee. The play of Naz may make me change my mind, but for now I miss seeing the turnaround threes finding the bottom of the net.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Checking in on this thread from the summer to see where people stand now. I was in the Clyburn camp, not knowing where we would get his scoring and rebounding. Hogue has obviously made up for the rebounding while picking up some of the scoring as well.

Babb will always be someone that people will want to bring back. It would be great to have him to guard Marble tonight. We would have a downright scary physical team with him at the 2.

I am going to go with the instant offense of McGee. The play of Naz may make me change my mind, but for now I miss seeing the turnaround threes finding the bottom of the net.

Yeah, I think I went with Babb before, and I'd still say that. We don't have anyone who can replace what he did by himself, but we seem to be doing it as a team.