Who we really are, and that's okay

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by clonetil01, Mar 4, 2014.

1. clonetil01

clonetil01 Member

Nov 23, 2009
    I'm right with everyone that's frustrated with how these last two games have gone, but quite honestly, let's really look at this objectively. Yea, we started out 14-0 and were top 10, but were we ever really a top 10 team, probably not. First, we had all the breaks go our way during those games, and most years, we come out of that 11-3(Iowa, UNI and BYU or Boise all should have been losses), and that would still be a nice record and really an accurate reflection of how good we are. Now, it may seem like I'm dogging us, but I'm actually complimenting what Fred has accomplished. Look back to last year and what we lost. Look at how we felt about this team preseason, I believe most people felt that we were a team that COULD, not would, get to the NCAAs now that Kane showed up. Now look at what we accomplished. Quite honestly I feel this team overachieved this year and outside the WV game, really has been in every game. Summary, I really won't be surprised if OSU beats us on Sat, they're hot, we're not, and we just aren't as good as them, and I'm fine with that. That being said, Hilton could swing things in our favor. Either way, if you would have said before the season that we go 22-8, with a 10-8 conference record, I've have taken that home like a prom date! Let's enjoy the season, regardless of what we were, are or if we're ranked. Three years in a row in the Big Dance, a lot of big wins and great action against good teams, and a style that's fun to watch. If this team gets you down, think back to McDs run here, that should be good therapy.

2. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Ya, we grabbed a couple of freebies early in their year, and have missed a couple of good opportunities lately. I think we aren't as good as the two previous years, at this point in the season, but because we were so good early in the year, we'll get a better seed, which should help us get of the first weekend hopefully.

3. awd4cy

awd4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe this team loses to OSU at home. Since their 7 game losing streak they have bounced back nicely but by mostly playing at home. They did beat TCU on the road, but big deal. I refuse to believe they come in Hilton and win and refuse to believe they are a better team.

4. Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth Active Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Male
    North Iowa
    OSU is not a better team. We've already beaten them at full strength on their home court...derp

5. Redman97

Redman97 Active Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Male
    Iowa City
    Good post, OP. Baylor is really good, but they just sucked it for a while - who hasn't. Win or lose against OSU, it's been a good season.

6. CyBroncos

CyBroncos Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2010
    West Des Moines
    Seriously, I can't stand fans like you. Oh we're Iowa State, we should just be happy we're competitive. We're overachieving to be where we are right now. Go find another team to root for, lulz

7. klamath632

klamath632 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Reading between the lines, this is what you're saying, OP:

[​IMG]

8. Cyinthenorth

Mar 29, 2013
    Male
    North Iowa
    Absolutely. Need more fans like you. I can't stand those who are OK with mediocrity. Not that ISU is mediocre this season. Still way above mediocre.

9. KnappShack

KnappShack Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    It's another middle of the pack Big 12 team. Enjoy the home games and look away when Hilton is closed

Like last year's team. Maybe have a fun NCAA weekend and then on to spring football

10. Cyinthenorth

Mar 29, 2013
    Male
    North Iowa
    What a depressing attitude you have.

11. CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
    West Des Moines
    Yeah i just can't handle sunshine pumping after games like tonight and at West Virginia

12. klamath632

klamath632 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Jamaal Tinsley: "It's just another gym."

This team hasn't shown that attitude. That's what it takes to play 4+ games in the NCAA tournament. I'm hopeful for the Elite 8, but I wouldn't put money on it.

13. CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
    West Des Moines
    You're that guy who's cool with the football team going 0-12 because you get to tailgate 6 or 7 times a year. Glad to have you onboard

14. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    This team is still a sweet sixteen team with upside. I'll be disappointed if we aren't playing the second weekend.

15. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
  16. Chitowncy

Chitowncy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Ames
    I don't think the OP is saying that. I think he's just being positive.

I get more annoyed by fans like you who ***** and moan about losses and complain about the players (I know you haven't moaned in this thread, but I bet I could find complaining in other threads but I don't have the time to do that). These guys are young kids playing for free and love of the game! I am ok with complaining about the coaches who get paid quite well, but the negativity toward the players really, really bothers me. Perhaps it was because I played a year of small college ball and have been criticized by media / fans as well, but I just don't think it has a place in college ball.

Complain about the refs and coaches all you want, but don't complain about ISU's players who are trying their best out there and have had, on balance, a season above my expectations.

17. shagcarpetjesus

shagcarpetjesus Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2006
    The real question is: Are we who we thought we were?

18. KnappShack

KnappShack Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    You obviously do not know me. I'm the guy who lives 2000 miles from Jack Trice and still buys season tickets.

19. Redman97

Redman97 Active Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Male
    Iowa City
    Me too. I won't be shocked if we aren't, but we definitely could be. Melvin (happy birthday), Niang, Kane, Hogue, and the rest.......if three or more have a good game, then we keep moving on.

20. aeroclone

aeroclone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2006
    If this team can't hold on to a 3 seed, I have a hard time seeing them playing on the second weekend.