MLB: White Sox to Trade Guillen to Marlins

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, tonight is his last game and a deal is being worked out with Florida. Ozzie's son has already tweeted thanking Sox fans.

The rumored deal last year, I believe, was Guillen for Logan Morrison. Doubt that's the deal now.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Weird Weird situation....

No doubt nothing Ive seen before. Of course it seems like a win all around. White sox go in a different direction, ozzie still has a job, and the marlins get a good coach. As a twins fan I am glad to see Ozzie go, he is a good coach, and I am happy he is no longer in the division.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I love Ozzie but can accept that it is time to move on...what I am not happy about is that Kenny Williams will be hiring the next manager? If one man can be blamed for the White Sox failures recently that man would be Kenny Williams! Peavy, Rios, Dunn...nice use of the company money there Kenny!

Also...if Ozzie is really getting a 4 year deal worth $16 million...he had to go to Miami!

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
sounds like he hasn't been traded yet. just released.

10:01pm: The White Sox announced that they have released Guillen from his contract at his request. he won't be in uniform for the season's final two games, according to the team (on Twitter). The White Sox retain rights to compensation if another club hires Guillen to manage in 2012.

So they don't have to pay him, but they still keep his rights? I guess more will have to come out today.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Rumor is that Don Cooper has a deal in place to stay, all other coaches will be shown the door. This day has been coming for a few years now, but I'll miss Ozzie's outspokenness even when it was petty and obnoxious like it so often was. It will be interesting to see who they replace him with, the name that is floating around that is intriguing is former Sox catcher Sandy Palomar Jr.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
So they don't have to pay him, but they still keep his rights? I guess more will have to come out today.

MLB.com put up a blog last night from Ozzie that said that he was excited to be managing in Florida next year (but then quickly took it down)...so it is a done deal. I am sure Kenny Williams will get to pick some 26 year old minor-league pitcher that is destined for greatness (sarcasm)!

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Rumor is that Don Cooper has a deal in place to stay, all other coaches will be shown the door. This day has been coming for a few years now, but I'll miss Ozzie's outspokenness even when it was petty and obnoxious like it so often was. It will be interesting to see who they replace him with, the name that is floating around that is intriguing is former Sox catcher Sandy Palomar Jr.

I loved Ozzie's candor...even when it was vulgar! If we hire another Jerry Manuel someone will have to wake me up to remind me to watch the Sox!

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Hoping for Dave Martinez. Predicting Sandy Alomar or Buddy Bell.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Hoping for Dave Martinez. Predicting Sandy Alomar or Buddy Bell.

I could see Bell...my longshot prediction is Terry Francona. Managed in the minors for the White Sox and left the organization when they hired Bevington...which made Francona look like a genius (most fans should have left when they brought TB in). Francona will be in for a heated winter if the Red Sox don't make the playoffs.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I could see Bell...my longshot prediction is Terry Francona. Managed in the minors for the White Sox and left the organization when they hired Bevington...which made Francona look like a genius (most fans should have left when they brought TB in). Francona will be in for a heated winter if the Red Sox don't make the playoffs.

I came across that online and it's definitely intriguing. Gammons reported there is a disconnect beweteen Francona and Epstein, and Epstein said he won't comment on whether Francona (who isn't signed for 2012) will be retained until after the Red Sox season is over. It'd be great, but probably not very likely.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City

I am a White Sox fan too. I agree with what is said here, all except for Palomar? Who is that guy:wink:?

I have a bit of mixed emotions because Ozzie was a VERY successful manager here for many years. Also, because he shot from the hip. Very carismatic....made the Sox relevant IMO. 2005 would not have happened if he was not at the helm. This team has been in the mix for the AL Central Crown but in the past couple of seasons, just fizzled out of the running near the end, and that just gets frustrating with the type of talent that is on the field.

I had a weird thought about a new manager this morning too...what if the White Sox went after Ryne Sandberg? Boy, would that make the north siders real mad. You know they (Cubs) will have to think and make a run for him after at least next season when Quade is done. (From what I saw out of the I-Cubs and his management last year, he could be a great person in the clubhouse. Ready to take on the reigns of a big league roster. Back in Chicago perhaps?)

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I am a White Sox fan too. I agree with what is said here, all except for Palomar? Who is that guy:wink:?

I have a bit of mixed emotions because Ozzie was a VERY successful manager here for many years. Also, because he shot from the hip. Very carismatic....made the Sox relevant IMO. 2005 would not have happened if he was not at the helm. This team has been in the mix for the AL Central Crown but in the past couple of seasons, just fizzled out of the running near the end, and that just gets frustrating with the type of talent that is on the field.

I had a weird thought about a new manager this morning too...what if the White Sox went after Ryne Sandberg? Boy, would that make the north siders real mad. You know they (Cubs) will have to think and make a run for him after at least next season when Quade is done. (From what I saw out of the I-Cubs and his management last year, he could be a great person in the clubhouse. Ready to take on the reigns of a big league roster. Back in Chicago perhaps?)

I would not be against that at all! I would feel bad for him though...he would owe Kenny Williams for hiring him! How KW keeps his job is amazing to me!

Interesting read: Ozzie Guillen splits with White Sox; expected to go to Marlins - Chicago Sun-Times

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Sandberg doesn't interest me at all. He has the make up of an old school NL style manager, which we're hoping trying to move away from. It would definitely get under the skin of Cubs fans and be a big story in the city, but hopefully the White Sox front office has different priorities than that. If KW doesn't make the right hire, he's next. He doesn't have anyone to hide behind anymore.