White, Johnson, Nealy

Discussion in 'Football' started by khardbored, Oct 31, 2013.

1. khardbored

khardbored Active Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Middle of the Midwest
    In our last game, # of carries:

Johnson = 12
    Nealy = 7
    White = 4

I know Wimberly was injured. I had presumed White was the #2 back after Wimberly but apparently the coaches think otherwise.

SJ is a good soldier but I just don't see him as a good fit currently. He dances around a lot, which only fits when you have a good O-line*. I think White and Nealy can make the "one cut" better (ie, be happy to get 4 yards of easy ground instead of trying to spring for 20 on each play).

How do you guys see it?

[Edit: I did think SJ was better in this game than any other this season.]

2. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    I'm surprised by White's lack of carries, especially since Nealy has been getting so many lately. What's really apparent the past few games while Wimberly has been hurt is how much noticibly slower SJ, and DN are compared to Wimberly. Just makes you appreciate how much of a burner Wimberly is.

3. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    Thanks for the analysis. I am glad to see that based on NOT watching a weeks worth of practice you know better than the coaches who should be playing.

4. Luth4Cy

Luth4Cy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Ames, IA
    Really thought White would be our top back going into this season, especially with the pistol heavy offense. Shontrelle is good, but he's a guy who needs to get out in space, not run it up the gut. Nealy has a bright future, but like Shontrelle belongs more out in space. Honestly think Standard and Woody could be more effective running up the middle than Shontrelle is.

5. Cypower69

Cypower69 Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Iowa City, IA
    In fairness I have watch Woody for years and don't understand why he is not getting more carries.

6. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    I didn't think that Shontrelle was "dancing around a lot" last game, he just hit the hole.

Did I miss something?

7. LutherBlue

LutherBlue Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2006
    I thought SJ looked decent Saturday. Sadly, it doesn't really matter who's in there.

8. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    I know there's a love affair with Wimberly and what I am about to say is blasphemes but I don't think it matters who the back is. Nealy, Johnson and Wimberly all get yards when they can. Yeah, Shontrelle misses some yards due to horizontal movement at times but he also picks up some yard Wimberly cannot. I just don't think there's an appreciable difference between the three backs and think Wimberly's success has more to do with circumstance than him. Statistically, his season is bolstered by a huge Tulsa game. Even in the Texas game he averaged only 4 yards/carry which is not great. No one else has been given more than 12 carries in a game so they really haven't had the opportunities that Wimberly has.

9. MeanDean

MeanDean Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Clarence IA-Jensen Beach FL
    #9 MeanDean, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Watching the games I have to disagree. Wimberly is the best back. Hits the hole, carries tacklers, and is able to turn the corner on sweeps.

IMHO Nealy is probably a distant second and White/Johnson 3/4. I have to agree with the OP that in the last game Shontrelle seemed to be more effective hitting the hole for the available gain instead of hesitating and being tackled for no gain or a loss.

10. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    Still love that signature

11. MeanDean

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    #11 MeanDean, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Thanks,

I was always temped to do Dirt and pi**, but figured that was bad taste, even when discussing hoks.

And whenever a hok gives me crap about "clown" colors I have a retort about ketchup and mustard - 2 delicious condiments - and better than D&P

12. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    Shontrelle picked up yards in that game that Wimberly wouldn't have. Wimberly does the same thing in different ways. You remove the Tulsa game (the worst defense we have faced) and he isn't averaging 4 yards/carry. You give Shontrelle or Nealy 19 and 29! carries against Tulsa and Texas and they will get about the same thing Wimberly did. Like I said, he does some things the others can't but the others do some things WImberly can't. Specifically, they are built to carry the ball 15-20 times a game and Wimberly isn't.

13. MeanDean

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    We'll have to agree to disagree. Even the carries he had in the UNI Game set him apart from the rest in my eyes.

14. Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth Active Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Male
    North Iowa
    Wimberly is the top back, and his decrease in numbers from the Tulsa/Texas games to the OSU/Baylor games can easily be explained away by #1, ISU getting absolutely shelled, and #2 He got hurt.

I tend to agree that it doesn't matter who the RB is. Adrian Peterson would struggle to average 4 ypc behind this O-Line. But I think given a solid O-Line and the bulk of the carries, any one of them (aside from Woody) could make the All Big 12 2nd team. Seastrunk is your 1st teamer.

15. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    When you are down by 100 and throwing the ball so much, its hard to not have your better blocking back in.. which SJ is.

16. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    You are correct. He ran differently.

17. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Wimberly does a better job quickly slicing off his lead blocker who sometimes is TomF.

18. Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth Active Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Male
    North Iowa
    In all honesty, I wish they'd just use Woody as a full-time FB, always having him in the to pass-protect or block for the lead runner. Anything to open some holes for the faster guys. I realize that this probably doesn't align with the offensive scheme ISU runs.

19. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    Without Wimberly, Nealy is our next best back IMO. Then comes White, and then SJ.

But of course, SJ gets the most carries because this coaching staff can't see talent from a hole in the ground. Remember, this is the same coaching staff that thought Jevohn Miller was better than Luke Knott. Like I said, they don't know good talent when they see it.

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    IMO, I think Wimberly doesn't just have the most speed, he also has the best vision of the bunch.

I think they're trying to get the youth some experience this year, and that's a reason why Nealy is playing over White some. I think they're trying to get a good look at him this year.