Where were you when JFK was assassinated?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dryburn, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Dryburn

Dryburn Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    #1 Dryburn, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    Next month on November 22, will mark the 50th anniversary of JFK's assassination. I realize this will date me, but I thought it might be interesting to see what those who do remember it remember about it, what they were doing, whatever. It is one of those dates that people always remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.

Personally, I was in the 7th grade at the time. Shortly after lunch that day, an announcement came over the loudspeaker system that we were all supposed to leave our classes and report to our home rooms. A little while after we got there, our teacher, Mrs. Johnson came into the room, did not say a word, but started writing on the blackboard JFK's famous quote "Ask not what your country.....". When she finished, she went to her desk and sat down but didn't say anything for a few minutes. It was obvious that she was having difficulty speaking, or deciding what she wanted to say.

Finally, she looked up and told us that the President had been shot in Dallas, and had died. She said school was being dismissed for the day, and as soon as the bus drivers could make it to the school, we all would be sent home. She said the school was contacting as many of our parents as possible, and announcements were going out over radio and tv.

That night of course, all that was on tv was the news of the assassination. It was a pretty scary time.

A couple of days later, my family and I came home from church, and as always, my sister and I were on the floor in front of the tv while my mom made lunch. Not long after we started watching, a special news bulletin came on from Dallas because the police were moving Oswald from one jail to another or something. My dad told my mom to get in the room because that was big news. We all sat there, and of course saw Jack Ruby shoot Oswald live on national tv. I remember my parents being really upset about that because of course it was the 60's and they weren't too keen on their kids seeing a murder live on tv.

2. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    My mother had not yet been born. I'm curious to see how many people on here actually were alive and remember that.

3. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Male
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    My parents were in diapers.

4. CyCrazy

CyCrazy Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Asst. Super.
    Roland
    I missed it by 19 years. My parents were probably in 8th or 9th grade.

5. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    Wow, you're old.

6. letsCYber

letsCYber Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Plummer
    U.S. of A.
    I remember where I was at when the iPhone was invented..

7. cyclonestate

cyclonestate Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    I was a little kid standing at the top of our basement steps screaming to my mom that he was alive again each time the news played a clip of him. My mom had to explain to me that he was still dead.

8. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    My dad was 7, my mom was 6, so there is that.

9. JohnnyFive

JohnnyFive Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    A twinkle in my grandad's eye.

10. Dopey

Dopey Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    My Dad was 6. My mom was 1.

11. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Madison, WI
    I don't ever remember thinking a post on here was poignant.

12. cyclonebillski

cyclonebillski Active Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Male
    Golf Course Asst Super
    Council Bluffs
    I remember being in my bedroom when Curt Loder told me 2Pac got got

13. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    Wellllllll...I'm one of them. I was eight. We were in Salt Lake City, in a hotel room. We had traveled there so that I could be the flower girl at my uncle's wedding. I remember very little about it - I was much too excited about my pretty yellow dress with the crinoline, and my new white patent leather Mary Janes. Whaddaya want from me? I was eight!

I remember the assassinations of Martin Luther King Jr and Bobby Kennedy much more vividly.

14. CyCrazy

CyCrazy Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Asst. Super.
    Roland
    This has to be the first time in CF history a Curt Loder reference was made on here. Bravo! I laughed!

15. intrepid27

intrepid27 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Executive Recruiter - Ag
    Marion, IA
    I was 3 years, 10 months old and I still remember that day clearly. It is easily my earliest memory. I was sitting on bed with my brother and I vividly remember the pattern on the bedspread and the dress my mom was wearing. I think the extreme level of my mothers distress anchored that moment in my mind.

It's crazy because I could not even tell you what my next earliest memory is.

16. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    And by the way...gee, Dryburn...

you're REALLY old!

17. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    I remember where I was when Reagan was shot. That was a similar in school (5th grade) experience for me. Also remember when the space shuttle exploded (was in HS).

Also remember Elvis dying for some weird reason.

18. ribsnwhiskey

ribsnwhiskey Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Ames
    I was -11. My parents were freshmen in college. I did see JFK 3 times in the theater though.

19. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    I consulted my attorney, Jim Garrison. He advises me that this may be some sort of governmental entrapment, since the killer was never brought to justice through the court system.

20. WhatchaGonnaDo

WhatchaGonnaDo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    My parents were in diapers.