What do you do?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by CycloneErik, Jan 28, 2009.

1. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    I want to try something dangerous this morning, and try to talk solution instead of just melting down. We've had our overnight to complain about the horrible (and it was horrible) loss at Colorado. Trying to thing in terms of teaching, coaching, or managing, this is what I'm wondering.

It's obvious that something's gotten into DG's head. He's reverted back to being turnover-prone, whereas he had become very steady in conference play last year. We know that he has the ability to do this in conference, because he did it last year.

What do you do to help him out of it? How do you coach/teach/manage this guy back to the level he can be at, and needs to be at?

Just curious.

2. ISUAlum2002

ISUAlum2002 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Urbandale
    Let the guy that's getting paid over half a million a year figure it out.

3. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think you have to sit him for a while. Tell him that it's not punishment, it's his chance to observe from the bench, get in the right mindset, and come in and succeed.

What he doesn't need is to further break down his confidence by burying him on the bench, or lambasting him. Tell him he's going to be fine, he just needs to forget the last few games, and move forward.

4. jay moe

jay moe Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Educator
    southern iowa
    I'm not sure what the fix is, but I do know that we need more than just 2 guys to make a shot in a half. What has happened to Hamilton, Peterson, and some other guys who were giving us steady scoring off the bench. This needs fixed now, or we will be #12 in the conf. at the end.

5. cygrads

cygrads Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
    Altoona, IA
    Yep - the only thing that hacks me off is I keep defending the guy and he keeps making it harder for me to do.

6. kg-cyclone

kg-cyclone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Just defended DG on here yesterday, but wow was he bad last night. You could hear Mac yelling a him almost every possession...BE READY TO HELP DG...why does Mac have to say it every possession and they still split the defense. Killed us on both ends...

7. kg-cyclone

kg-cyclone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2006
    I think you are right...Motivate DG and get Buckley some experience.

8. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    It does seem like he's going further down by being in there. Sitting him for at least part of the game can't hurt. Maybe it reminds him of what he was doing, and gets his head back in the game. If nothing else, he would see things from a different perspective.

That would be the other question, but that's a different thread. If anyone else is scoring, we're in the high-middle of the pack, not a 4-way tie for last (with another team at 1-3 that's "ahead" of us).

9. Clonehomer

Clonehomer Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I think you develop Buckley to allow DG to sit down at times so he can watch the game. He just seems to try too hard to make things happen and I just think he needs another quality point guard to allow him to calm down or even to move to the 2 so he doesn't have to run the offense just try to be a apart of it..

We also really need another guard that can drive to the basket. Maybe boozer can be that guy eventually but I am pinning my hopes on Colvin right now.

To compare this team to past years, we have our Fizer now we just need a Tinsley.

10. 2forISU

2forISU Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    I think you put Peterson at point and move DG over to the 2 spot. Take some of the pressure off DG.

11. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    I don't pretend to know the answer - but I will be greatly disappointed in the staff if DG is not seeing more time on the bench in the next few outings.

Unless he has some sore of miraculous turnaround (not expected).

12. RyCy04

RyCy04 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Threaten to take away their village. That seemed to bring this team together.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. chuckd4735

chuckd4735 Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Male
    MO/KS
    Ditto. It would not concern or bother me in the least if he did not see a single minute against OU on Saturday.

14. CloneIce

CloneIce Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    May as well play Buckley. He can't play worse than Garret has lately, its a physical impossibility.

15. 4429 mcc

4429 mcc Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Wall Street
    Well if I'm Greg...I know my seat is getting hot. DG's not helping the team...I've got some young guys on the bench that haven't seen quality minutes and I'm losing 2 seniors. I start playing Buckley and Boozer more minutes and build DG confidence some how. I change my offense to teach the 1-3 players how to take good shots from the offense.

Craig will get is points no matter what I think you got to teach the gaurds and swing men how to get shots. B/c next year could be Gregs last

16. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Simple. You let BP bring the ball up court as the qb.

17. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I don't know Diante personally. I love what I believe to be his ability as a player. Different people are motivated different ways. I hope he doesn't get down on himself. He has abilities nobody else on this team has and we really need him to get back up or else we're going to be neck deep in it before long.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Clonefan32

Clonefan32 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    To be honest, I think you just let him play out of it. Give him 3-4 more games to get his head around. Players go through slumps, and DG was playing very well around the beginning of Big 12 play and now he is struggling a bit. He is only a sophmore, and will be insturmental to our team in the coming years. Benching him wont help a thing. Maybe you can tune back his minutes a bit to give Buckley a look, but benching him or even having him split time nearly evenly with Buckley will not be helpful. DG just needs a couple shots to fall, or have a good game Saturday and he will be back to normal. Being a former basketball player, I know how it feels when you are struggling. The only way I can explain it is "when it rains it pours." But as soon as you get a few shots in a row to fall, or make a copule good plays in a row your confidence is back and it is amazing how much that affects your all around game.

19. DMCYFAN

DMCYFAN Member

Nov 27, 2006

This is exactly right!!! We weren't a very good team the year before tinsley with Fizer as a talented Soph. but Tinsley came and made everyone else about 10x better (nurse, stevie johnson, fizer, etc.)...

I'm not expecting Colvin or anyone to come in and be Tinsley right away but I think we're really a lot closer than we think. We just don't have any difference makers on the perimeter right now. It's not like all of our guys are horrible players who should never see minutes but I think we need a difference maker gaurd for everyone else's role to get a lot easier!!!

I still support GMAC and think he is the right guy for the job...

With the trainwreck he took over and all the misfortune he's had I'm willing to give him his full 5 year contract time before I start to give up on the job he's doing.

I just see so many positive signs for the future (player improvement is great, we appear to be well aligned in future recruiting, our guys have a ton of class and aren't getting into trouble, and we appear to be more of a "team" than we have for a long time)
    GO CYCLONES!!!

• Like Like x 2
  20. cyclonemaniac7

cyclonemaniac7 Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    That worked for McNabb this year. I don't think we have much to lose trying it.