We're under 50% on field goals for the year...

Discussion in 'Football' started by Al_4_State, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    Nothing more.

2. OverreactingGuy

OverreactingGuy New Member

Oct 1, 2011
    ARE YOU TRYING TO GIVE ME A HEART ATTACK?!?!?!

• Like Like x 1
  3. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    It's absolutely amazing how ISU can't get past this FG kicking thing. Going on for years now...

4. CtownCyclone

CtownCyclone Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Project Engineer
    Houston
    Nothing more needs to be said. Can't believe we haven't figured out the kicker position.

5. awd4cy

awd4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Mahoney needs to go back to kicking ALL field goals. I really don't understand why Guyer is kicking short field goals.

6. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    I guess I really don't understand the benching of Mahoney before the season started, UNLESS he was just destroying him in practice.

Sure, Mahoney hasn't been that good either, but Guyer has been dreadful.

I just hope we have someone we can turn to next year besides these two guys. I don't think Rhoads can put up with many more missed chip shots. He was pulling his hair out tonight when Guyer missed. I just wonder if these two guys just can't perform under the lights for some reason? They're pretty good in practice, but can't hit the broad side of a barn in a real game.

7. LAClone

LAClone Member

Apr 26, 2010
    The main lesson I have learned as a Cyclone fan is that we should always just go for it on 4th...

8. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Why don't we just go for it on 4th down and onside kick it every opportunity? Isn't it statistically the better move? With a team like ISU, is that what it takes to win championships?

9. RING4CY

RING4CY Well-Known Member
    Bookie

Mar 20, 2010
    Photographer
    Ames, IA
    Iowa State has to have the worst kicking game of all BCS schools.

10. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    I think you're right. Unless you have 4th down and more than 10 yds to go and you're in FG range. Then I think I'd still give the FG a shot. If it's under 10 yds to go, I'd just go for it at this point.

11. CyCrazy

CyCrazy Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Asst. Super.
    Roland
    Our FG kicking is just unreal at his point. It really blows my mind and has for a good decade now.

12. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    [​IMG]

We should see if Kirby can kick field goals.

13. Cytom5

Cytom5 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Ames
    what a waste of two scholarships. I still question why we have two Kickers on a scholarship it makes absolutely no sense. Maybe Iowa state should hold a contest between halftime, bring all the students down and who ever is the best at kicking should get a job, hell might as well just give them a scholarship.

14. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    I played soccer but never kicked/punted in football so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. But it seems to me that an all Big 12 level punter would at least be an average kicker. What do I know though.

15. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    During the Illinois game today they were going over their kickers stats and it was just unreal to imagine the positive impact that could have had on ISU. I can't even imagine having a kicker like that.

16. Cychotiic

Cychotiic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Ames
    I really feel that the kicking game was a major factor in the blowout. After the 30 whatever yard field goal miss, you could feel the air being let out of the stadium... That was an ENORMOUS point in the game. It was more than points, it was momentum

17. True, but really we shouldn't have been kicking in the first place. Image if KO doesn't false start on 3rd down and we convert the 3rd and 3 instead of missing the 3rd and 8 and eventually get the TD. Then we kick off and the D stuffs UT the same way they did after the FG and LJ doesn't commit the stupid head butt. At that point, UT's punting to us and we're down 6. Instead we're down 20-0. Those 2 penalties cost us a chance at this game more than anything else that happened in the first half and both were completely unnecessary.

so frustrating :mad::realmad::mad::realmad:

18. isukendall

isukendall Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Research Scientist
    Fort Collins, CO
    Of course it's not that easy, but why can't we land a guy like this? I think it would be worth our while to recruit an outstanding kicker, given the problems we've had in the past. This makes and breaks games, and we've learned the hard way too many times.
    Alex Henery - Huskers.com - Nebraska Athletics Official Web Site

19. Rogue52

Rogue52 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    This is the worst field goal kicking has ever been if that's even possible and these are both scholarship kickers. Thanks Chiz.

20. ItsCyence

ItsCyence Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brookings, SD
    Well we got Netten coming in next year and he was 3 for 3 with 35+ yarders on Friday.