Wednesday weather

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Most of the info you need is in the top left chart. Green line is dew point, red is temperature, white lines are standard pressure liens, red tick marks are altitude in km and the wind is the white wind barbs on the right side.

What it is telling you is that there is no cap on the atmosphere giving the storms room to grow as big as they want. Also with the wind there is plenty of direction and speed wind shear to help the storms rotate.
tumblr_nmtvfjWp1P1us5lplo1_250.gif

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Most of the info you need is in the top left chart. Green line is dew point, red is temperature, white lines are standard pressure liens, red tick marks are altitude in km and the wind is the white wind barbs on the right side.

What it is telling you is that there is no cap on the atmosphere giving the storms room to grow as big as they want. Also with the wind there is plenty of direction and speed wind shear to help the storms rotate.

So what you are saying is, we are all going to die?

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE

So if there was a cap in place, the temp line show an increase as you increase in altitude, right? Thanks for the info!

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
So if there was a cap in place, the temp line show an increase as you increase in altitude, right? Thanks for the info!

Correct it would show a temperature inversion where instead of cooling with altitude it would eventually warm back up which inhibits the updrafts from growing.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

So, people in Carroll need to get to Hy-Vee RIGHT NOW?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

sJfLz.gif

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Tornado Watch just issued for Omaha area. Most of SE Nebr, SW Iowa, and very NW Missouri.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Is this expected to make its way up to DSM? Weather.com is showing like a 15% chance of rain tonight and I need to decide if I'm canceling practice for the kids.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I'm not a weather expert, but I see nothing on the map right now that would indicate rain, let alone storms.

• Dislike
Reactions: CycoCyclone

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Is this expected to make its way up to DSM? Weather.com is showing like a 15% chance of rain tonight and I need to decide if I'm canceling practice for the kids.
I don't think 15% is for the whole evening. Maybe at 5pm and then at 10 or 11PM. Over all should probably be around 60%. Omaha's best chance is in the 5-8PM range. I would think DM would be about an hour or 2 later?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron