Webhosting, please help with advice :)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by clonomaniac, Aug 6, 2010.

1. clonomaniac

clonomaniac Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Engineer
    St Louis, MO
    Since many of you know a lot about webhosting, especially having graduated from a top ranked computer programming institute like Iowa State, I turn to my fellow cyclones for some help in webhosting department.

I am starting a new company that concentrates on teaching latin/ballroom dancing as well as performing all over the states. The url name I want to use is available which is a good thing. However, I am struggling to pick a company I would like to 1) buy the domain from, 2) use its webhosting service and 3) a possible set of emails that may come with the purchase.

I am completely new at this. I did have websites in the past that are available at no cost (google etc), but I am going to go with a new organized and professional approach this time. Can anyone offer some advice as to what company sells the most affordable domain sites and webhosting ease that also provides the best customer service when needed.

Please help :) and Go Cyclones!!!

2. azn4cy

azn4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2008
    DSM
    Dreamhost or Bluehost if your traffic isn't going to be ridiculously high.

3. clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
    Engineer
    St Louis, MO
    My traffic won't be high at all. It will actually only be informational. I do a lot of recruiting and messaging using facebook.

4. nboltz

nboltz Member

Apr 9, 2006
    IT Manager
    Ames
    I have no complaints with Network Solutions.

5. azn4cy

azn4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2008
    DSM
    Dreamhost should be good enough for you then. I assume you are designing it yourself?

6. clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
    Engineer
    St Louis, MO

Yeah, I could design it myself but it might just be easier and less time consuming to use their webhosting template to put together something. I need to get something up and ready by September 5 and most definitely by October 1. But it will be a real basic basic BASIC site. What do you think?

7. azn4cy

azn4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2008
    DSM
    I'm not a fan of templates, usually something doesn't line up well and it ends up looking like crap.

If it's a simple site, it really shouldn't take someone more than a couple of days to get it up and running for you, while still looking decent.

The main thing that makes websites more time-consuming is dynamic content. If you are saying it's just informational, I don't foresee an issue getting it done by September.

You can shoot me a PM if you need more info.

8. clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
    Engineer
    St Louis, MO
    Will do, thank you so much! Also, do you have a website that I can look at, just for reference? I am assuming you are on the web too.

9. chewbocka

chewbocka Member

Nov 25, 2009
    for the love of god do not get GoDaddy's shared hosting, it's absolutely atrocious

10. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
  11. zach

zach Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2006
    The Subs