We are a Top 15 team if...

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by cycloneworld, Mar 6, 2012.

1. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    we beat UNI and Drake. We would be 24-7. Other BCS teams in a similar situation:

#15 Indiana - 24-7
    #14 Wisconsin - 23-8
    #13 Georgetown - 22-7
    #12 Baylor - 25-6
    #10 Michigan - 23-8
    #9 Marquette - 25-6
    #8 Michigan State - 24-7

Those two losses are killing our seeding right now. Instead of the 7-8 seed we are currently projected to be, we would be up in the 3-4 range.

I'm not complaining because after the beginning of the season, I didn't think we would be anywhere near this position but its another one of those "what if" situations to think about.

2. timappelgate

timappelgate Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Golf Course Pro Shop
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Forget it. Move on.

3. Cincyclone

Cincyclone Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2012
    No use worrying about it now.

4. Rhoadhoused

Rhoadhoused Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Student
    Ames, IA
    #4 Rhoadhoused, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    Probably wouldn't have needed the wake up call from Willoughby (it was him right?) and things would be way different.

5. Tank

Tank Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Pilot
    Niceville, FL
    We would also be the number 1 team in the country if we didn't lose the other 7 games throughout the year.

Sorry, I have to give some crap....

6. RayShimley

RayShimley Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Post-doc Fellow
    Stillwater, MN
    That's the price we pay for having a team with little initial experience playing together in actual meaningful games. I'll gladly pay it at this point.

7. kberyldial

kberyldial Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    You could say we've grown into our #25 ranking. Without the preseason hype that most of the teams you mention we might be right where we are though. No one thought we would be good. No reason too either really. Objectively, some people knew we had talent but weren't sure how they would play together. Fred really has done a great job coaching this team. It will be one of my favorite teams ever - until next year!

8. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    My thought as well. Early season losses can often be much more effective learning experiences than early season wins.

9. Jeffreyisu

Jeffreyisu Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Hotel Manager
    Minneapolis, MN
    But we didn't so it's a really silly argument.

10. CYUL8R

CYUL8R Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Ames, IA
    Everything that has happened this season has been for a reason - by losing to those crappy programs (sorry, but come on) it initiated the 'meeting' over Christmas.

Things started turning around...no ranking yet...guys get focused and play harder.

Win more games, including beating KU...no ranking yet...guys get focused and play harder.

Win more games, lose a couple stinkers (Texas, anyone?)...no ranking yet...

you get the idea.

Now that we are ranked (but just barely) and are fighting for a seed, it continues to motivate this team. They are not worrying about anything other than beating Texas - we shouldn't be either. Sure, it would be great to be in the top 15, but honestly I'd rather win the Big 12 tournament and go in as a 3/4/5 seed because of the momentum it would give us.

11. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    I still don't know how in the hell we lost to UNI at Hilton this year. They are a bad team.

I hope we beat them by 50 next year.

12. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    Blowing the games against KU and MU hurt much more than those two.

13. timappelgate

timappelgate Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Golf Course Pro Shop
    Cedar Falls, IA
    +1

We win those two, plus the ones against Texas and Okie State, we're sitting at 16-2 in conference.

14. Cyclophile1

Cyclophile1 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Overland Park, KS
    I know what you mean and would sorely like to have those games back for the added respect and chance at a better seed. However, the important thing in my mind is that we have been playing as well as those teams or better in the last couple of months. Playing powerfully trumps a team with the appearance of power. I would rather be in the position we are in than some of these teams that played lesser competition and will face the best team they have played all year in the first or second round.

15. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant
    As stated above, those 2 losses were vital in giving this team the wake up call it needed. If we had won those 2 games, who's to say the guys wouldn't have continued to coast, not making the necessary changes, and only finished 6 or 7th in conference?

While not leaving the best taste in the mouths of fans, they were the boulders that catapulted this team to where it is today.

16. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    We're a top 15 team now, at very least top 20. The polls may not recognize it for those reasons, but i think the most recent 2 months of evidence is enough to tell what level we're at.

17. Cyclonetbone

Cyclonetbone Member

Dec 12, 2011
    How about we just beat UNI next year to get it out of the way. Sick of living in Waterloo and having to take junk from a second rate school. At least the Iowa garbage thrown at me doesn't make me question all my previous life choices. :spinny:

18. LostinIowaCity

Jan 15, 2011
    Male
    Ames, IA
    This team is stronger because of where it's been. Stop worrying about rankings and seeds because it will all take care of itself. The only thing that matters right now is a Thursday night game against Texas.

19. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    We should fire this Hoiberg guy immediatly for losing to those two schools.

20. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Don't worry. JP is certainly planning to fire him as soon as the ISU season is over in April.