Waterproof Camcorders - Cheap

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BenEClone, Apr 17, 2012.

1. BenEClone

BenEClone Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Lincoln, Ne
    I realize cheap is rarely good and visa versa. I'm willing to make the trade offs for small, easy to operate, inexpensive ($100), easy to upload and waterproof video. The Kodak Zx5 and the GE DV1 are head to head on my list. First use will be a cruise vacation - shallow snorkeling and normal above water vacation shots. Any experience or thoughts on these units?

2. CyBer

CyBer Guest

I know they are more expensive but my brother has a GoPro and it is awesome. Also comes with a fisheye lens.

3. cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    If you're willing to spend just a little bit more ($150) you could get the base model of the GoPro camera. Very nice HD camera's for outdoors/sports/water/anything.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl5dUvkWWTA&feature=related]GoPro HD Scuba Diving - YouTube[/ame]

4. CyBer

CyBer Guest

That one I think is 720 P not 1080

5. cyclonedave25

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    It has to be at least 960p, as that is the lowest end model. Of course you can change the quality down lower to 480p.

That being said, if you're just making regular family vids there really isn't a huge difference between 960p and 1080p, assuming you're watching your vids on youtube.

6. Farnsworth

Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    Thanks for the ideas. We are going on a 2 week vacation in June that will be pretty water heavy. My look into getting a GoPro.

7. cyclonedave25

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    Here's what the quality will look like underwater with the 960 model ($150).
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obv9vaWOywk]GoPro 960 Under Water test - YouTube[/ame]

8. CyBer

CyBer Guest

They are pretty sweet, especially with a fisheye feature.

9. cyclonedave25

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    The only main cons to the GoPro's are there is no zoom and the sound quality is poor (mainly because of the waterproof case it's in). You can however, take the camera out of the case and get better sound. There's also no playback screen like on most video cameras. It does take pictures, but it is mostly used to record action sports.
    If you are wanting to get a camera that takes a lot of pictures and is really easy to use, I wouldn't get a GoPro.

But for a durable, waterproof camera with a wide angle lense and HD video recording, the GoPro's are really hard to beat.

10. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area
    I have the Kodak Zx3, the older version of the ZX5 (playsport, I think it's called too).

I don't use it a lot, knew that when I bought it, just wanted something for catching those nice moments with the kiddo. I haven't used it underwater, but bought it for if we use it near water...video'd son's first time in the pool.

The one thing that bothers me more than I realized it would is lack of zoom. You must move closer or farther from the subject to get the right framing (not a tiny person in a big background, no cutting off heads, etc.) Obviously I knew this when I bought it, but I didn't realize how much it can be a big deal at times...I can't back up far enough because a wall is there, etc.

It's not a bad camera, no problems with it, and I think the lack of zoom is pretty common in these small cameras, but I think I probably go get it less often than I would if it had zoom.