was isu ever in the running for marcus paige?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by EvilBetty, Dec 14, 2013.

1. EvilBetty

EvilBetty Member

Sep 7, 2012
    looks like we offered, did he humor isu or even iowa? or was he seeming going to one of the big dogs of CBB from the get go? dude looks solid. shame to let talent like that leave the state.

2. CyFan61

CyFan61 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    IIRC he was an early UNC commit and stayed solid the whole time.

3. awd4cy

awd4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I think he was a lot closer to going to Iowa than he ever was Iowa State.

4. Messi

Messi Active Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Male
    Cedar Rapids
    Hawks claim they almost had him. Have to think if he was a senior in HS now it would be a real battle between us for him

5. BallSoHard4Cy

BallSoHard4Cy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Des Moines
    He was UNCs but if anyone was second I would have said Iowa.

6. Yes13

Yes13 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    From what I heard from someone that went to high school with him it was actually the opposite. But he never really seriously considered either.

7. Amesboy

Amesboy Active Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Besides North Carolina he put down Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and Virginia. I think he mentioned Iowa just to be respectful since he was from Marion. No ISU wasn't an option. Going to the NBA D-league North Carolina Tar Heels was a smart move.

8. 83Clone

83Clone Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Ankeny, IA
    Do you 'spose UNC would trade Paige for the Iowan who picked the Hoks instead of them ?

9. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    They could have used him last night.

10. 1UNI2ISU

1UNI2ISU Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Waterloo
    North Carolina was his dream from the time was a little kid. Literally took the offer the same day Roy made it.

11. Clone9

Clone9 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Both teams had sucked for a while and had new coaches that hadn't proved themselves yet. So, even if he wasn't always going to UNC, there wasn't much reason for him to stay in state if he wasn't a crazy fan of either team.

12. CYcoFan

CYcoFan Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Ames
    I always got the feeling Paige never considered us early on because we had G Mac. I think you could say the same for Iowa before Fran. I think had Fred and Fran been in place when he was in 8th and 9th grade might have been more of a battle, but who knows.

13. Jambalaya

Jambalaya Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    I believe GMac offered him when Paige was in 9th grade, but nothing ever transgressed

14. cyclonez7

cyclonez7 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Ames/Coralville
    We don't recruit Iowa very well.

15. cloneteach

cloneteach Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Paige was a lifelong UNC fan, other schools only would have been considered had there not been a UNC offer. He has been on record saying he cheers for Iowa over ISU.

16. Dingus

Dingus Active Member

May 23, 2013
    WA
    Usually doesn't really matter too much. If I had to choose I'd rather recruit Indian Hills well than Iowa HS.

17. Amesboy

Amesboy Active Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Only if you threw in a weekend package for Coach Williams out at Prairie Meadows. It would be awesome to have Paige but he's no dummy. UNC is one of the elite programs in the country that prepares and funnels kids to the NBA. Woodbury IMO should of went to UNC, Duke or Kansas which would of developed him MUCH better for the next level (if that's even possible) then what Iowa is doing now.

18. bringmagicback

bringmagicback Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Marketing
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    I dont follow hs ball that much and I did hear his name from time to time but he didnt seem to be that big a deal coming out of high school am I right (aside from his 34th ranking)? or is it because he committed to UNC so early we just forgot about him?

19. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Economist
    Washington, DC
    Think Fred is going to add ISU to that list of "NBA-pre" programs? Would that be a good or a bad thing if he did? Not saying we are at that level, at all, but I wonder given his credentials in the medium-term...

I really wonder what would have happened with Barnes or Paige if they were in high school *now* with Fred and Fran coming at them. I definitely get not wanting to hang around Lick or McDormat, but I would have to think Mr. Barnes would have found playing under a former NBA player/front office guy with one of the best shots in the history of the game pretty interesting. It's just two years until the draft, after all.

20. Dingus

Dingus Active Member

May 23, 2013
    WA
    I think he already is, at least for those players that are just trying to get their foot in the door (ie transfers and jucos) as opposed to one and done types. I think he's seen as someone that can get players a chance that they may not have gotten otherwise.

If this kind of reputation is real (and I'm not just imagining it) it's awesome; anyone can get top 10 HS kids to the NBA. Having experienced and talented players that just need that extra push over the hump wanting to come here year after year in order to make the league would be great (or already is great?).