Wade Phillips Fired!!!

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by hawkeyescott, Nov 8, 2010.

1. hawkeyescott

hawkeyescott Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2008
  2. cyeah

cyeah Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Director of Operations
    Houston, TX
    That explains the Cowboys' plane being in Tuscaloosa and Saban's distractedness during Saturday's game...

3. cyfanatic

cyfanatic Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Cowboys did him a favor!

4. GeronimusClone

GeronimusClone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Communications
    Des Moines, IA
    Can I have my cybookie winnings now, please?

5. tzjung

tzjung Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Male
    Health Care Technology
    Ankeny, IA

WOOT!! I agree...Easiest CyBookie winnings ever!! :smile:

6. ThatllDoCy

ThatllDoCy Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Entrepreneur
    Chicago, IL
    I am surprised he did not quit. Nice guy, but that team is a train wreck, and this is probably best for all.

7. KneeGusto

KneeGusto Active Member

Maybe they'll "Choose Chizik"?

8. EddieISU

EddieISU Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Waukee "The Key", iowa
    Stinkn Arizona Cardinals!!!! You choked that game against the Vikes and cost me 6500 big ones.

9. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    Better late than never I guess. But this was very late, as in it should have been done the second he was hired. Great defensive coordinator. Not a good head coach.

10. ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Denver, CO
    I hope there is absolutely nothing to this.

11. ItsCyence

ItsCyence Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brookings, SD
    Or the Vikings played better when it mattered the most.

12. HerkyKiller

HerkyKiller Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Student
    Ames
    Yes they did.

But I think Childress is next.

It almost seemed like the vikings were throwing the game on purpose for a while.

13. CyclonesRule

CyclonesRule Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    West Des Moines
    They said last night he's only had one other losing season. The year he got fired from the Broncos. He's not a great coach but I think he is better than some of the ones currently out there. The way the Cowboys played last night I don't think it mattered who was coaching them. Not going t get any better this year. Kitna isn't the answer to replace Romo either.

14. VTXCyRyD

VTXCyRyD Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Mac Brown as the next Cowboys coach:jimlad:

15. Prone2Clone

Prone2Clone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
  16. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    I'm not even sure why he was hired in the first place. This just had "bad idea" written all over it, and while I'm no prophet, I was just waiting for my intuition to become a reality on this one.

I like the snarky commentaries that state that Jerry Jones should be the next one to be fired. Yeah, I know - owners can't be fired. Doesn't make it a bad idea, though.

17. IceCyIce

IceCyIce Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Safety Man
    Grimes
    Phillips was hired because he's a defensive genius. The problem is Wade was handicapped by poor and ineffective drafts by Jones. This team is a toy for Jones and now the toy is broken and the team is a laughing stock. They are in the same eschelon as Cincy and Buffalo

18. ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Denver, CO
    False.

19. twistedredbird

twistedredbird Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Executive Director
    Midwest
    Good coaches have bad seasons. The team started with some bad luck, and then it spiraled out of control. I think losing Romo just shut the team down. Honestly, how do you motivate players to play when they don't have anything to play for?

This team is set back 2 or 3 more years now. New coach, new system....Jones will probably fire that coach in his second season. Let's see, this will be 8 different head coaches in 22 years, so that's what 2.75 seasons as an average?

It must be a Dallas thing to be a micromanaging owner.

20. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    #20 jbhtexas, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    All three of the sports talks radio stations down here that I flipped through last night on my drive home did mention poor recent drafting and poor personnel moves as a significant (but certainly not only) contributor to the current Cowboy problems. A good question would be how much input did Wade have into the personnel and draft choices.

The DFW talking sports heads in both radio and TV have been lamenting the Cowboy's lack of depth problem all season. The Cowboys have good first string talent, but have nearly no depth after the first string, and a team can't win in the NFL without depth. One of the radio shows was going through the Cowboys' roster, and pointing out all of the low-drafted and non-drafted players that have been pressed into action. Some were speculating that finding the Tony Romo "diamond in the rough" has caused the Cowboys to take more risks on lower-end players, and others speculated that Jerry is just dumping salary because he's got bills and mortgages to pay...

And also, many of the local talking heads with "inside info" are speculating that Wade was fired, not because Jones thinks he is a bad coach, but because the Cowboys fear they won't sell out the stadium (in particular the high $$$ suites) due to apathy, which will severely impede Jerry's cash flow, and they needed to make a change just to bring some "hope" to the fans. Supposedly, it was one of the sons who convinced Jerry to make the change yesterday.

Also, props to Wade. He kept his commitment to show up at a ritzy Cowboys-sponsored charity event at the stadium last night, and reportedly was very pleasant to both guests and reporters, posed for pictures, signed autographs, etc.