Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by cyclonelifer, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Recently got a new home desktop, which has a free upgrade to Vista. All I've seen and read, so far, is that it isn't really worth the hassle.

Anyone have any personal experience with Vista?
  2. cytech

cytech Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    I have used it and I would say it is not a operating system that you need to upgrade to, but if your new computer has 2 gigs or more of memory and a 64 bit processor I would do it.
    Vista has alot of little features in it that make it alot more user friendly for people who don't know much about computers.
  3. nj829

nj829 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Northwest Arkansas
    I also have Vista and hate it. None of my most used programs from XP are compatable with it at this point, so only half of my stuff works at this point, so I have to use 2 computers.
  4. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have it, too. Not much of an upgrade, especially for the cost, but it sure is purdy!

If you are considering it, though, you can get an academic copy for $70 (Home Premium) shipped through if you are a student, teacher, or if you have a student in your household. That's what I did and it was easy. The reg. price on Home Premium is about $159, and the academic copy is exactly the same as the regular one.
  5. Nothingman

Nothingman Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Vista Business came with my new laptop. It isn't much different from XP. So far I haven't had any major compatibility issues. The only program that I regularly use that doesn't work on Vista is my zonealarm firewall.

I would send for the free upgrade cds even if you don't install it right away. If you have more than 2 gigs of ram and a decent video card I would probably install it though I would wait a couple of months.
  6. pyrocyz

pyrocyz Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2006

There is an option in Vista, to boot the programs in a XP mode, so that it will treat the program as a xp program and not try to run it as a vista program.

I have used vista for almost a year now and I am in love with it. If you have the option to buy a computer with it already on it, it is probably worth it because the computer is already going to have the capability to run the program.

just my 2 cents
  7. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Grimes, IA
    My roommate just bought a new PC with it so I've had minimal work with it but so far I'm not a fan of it. Just trying to do some simple configuration stuff like you can in XP was a hassle and I constantly hear him complaining about the issues with iTunes and his iPod not working right which apparently is a known issue. It also pops up security stuff all the time that gets annoying until you turn it off or it knows that something is ok.
  8. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    I'm not a Mac fan, but their commercial about Vista asking permission for every command is hilarious and true.....a guy showed me Vista at work and it took him forever to do things
  9. Angie

Angie square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    There are a ton more user restrictions in Vista. You can go in with an admin account and turn off the feature.

I got my laptop at a really big discount the week before Vista came out (running XP Pro), and got the rebate to send in for Vista. I've sent it in, but am going to wait before installing. A lot of hardware devices don't have compatible drivers yet - our company is running into a lot of problems with peripherals we use with our software on Vista machines. Most are projected to be compatible by second quarter, however.
  10. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    There is no reason to upgrade/downgrade to vista. IT does not do anything special, just a progression of windows more toward the mac side of things.