Vehicle Shopping advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mj4cy, Mar 18, 2017 at 4:16 PM.

1. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Reliability Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    My 2009 Grand Caravan does all of that too. It's rated to tow like 5000 lbs. Not a lot, but it can certainly handle a small trailer. And I've used it to haul broken concrete to the dump, and 8 foot fence posts, and 4x8 sheet material. But I average over 20 mpg and fit into standard parking spaces.

• Like Like x 1
  2. besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Reliability Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Every modern car is highly controlled by computers and electronics. It's partly because of the electronic controls that they have improved reliability. Just about every car company makes a reliable product anymore - but when you make 1 million vehicles over the course of 2 - 3 years, even a 0.01% failure rate means that a few hundred people have stories about how terrible their car is and those people are most likely to write reviews and spout off on forums.

3. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    Features you must have?

4. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Male
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny

Thanks for your input. What's your feeling on crossovers? I may also end up just getting a bigger car. We'll see. I only need to be able to take kids a short distance here and there. Our van does the long trips and my wife takes them around more than I do.

I also use this vehicle for work so don't really want to be taking clients/coworkers around in a minivan haha.

5. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    #45 dmclone, Mar 20, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 1:33 PM
    Look at the resale of the vans you have listed and that will give you a good idea of the quality of these vans. I always take mechanic recommendations with a grain of salt. Here are just a few examples:

#1 "least electronically van". What does this even mean? Just because a 1974 Chevy Nova is easy to work on doesn't mean it's reliable. Are we talking about electronics like seat heaters or are we talking about 10 speed auto transmissions?

#2 I'm going to take a wild guess that this person doesn't work at a Honda or Toyota dealership.

#3 I agree that Honda and Toyota prices are pretty expensive when you compare them to some domestics. Then two years later you realize that the Honda and Toyota are not so expensive when you factor in "true cost to own".

On a side note, I wouldn't buy an Odyssey right now when the new 2018 is coming out in a couple of months. I'm usually not big into buying first year models but Honda tends to use the same transmission/motor in multiple vehicles.

6. dbodeenisudm

dbodeenisudm Member

Oct 26, 2006
    besides maybe leather seats no features required and would like room for 3 car seats

7. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006

I guess I'm not alone with this problem. My wife could get so much more car for the money but is obsessed with sitting up high in the car. If she ever loses her job I may make her become an OTR driver.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    They still make Grand Caravans, I think Chrysler stopped selling their version which was the Town & Country and sells a Pacifica that looks like horrible mutant offspring of a minivan and a Chrysler Pacifica.

9. dbodeenisudm

dbodeenisudm Member

Oct 26, 2006
    #1 I have driven high mileage cars and have had to replace the window motors; seat motors; coolant sensors; gas cap sensors etc. Sick of replacing all that crap. The sensors and electronics are not outlasting the actual motors anymore.

#2 Independent

10. dbodeenisudm

dbodeenisudm Member

Oct 26, 2006
    Dont want camera in back
    dont want keyless entry
    dont want electronics except for what is needed to run the guts of the vehicle
    want manual windows because when the break will be cheaper than having to replace the motors

11. 3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    This should tick all your boxes, enjoy the new ride!
    https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/6040888246.html

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. CtownCyclone

CtownCyclone Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Project Engineer
    Where they love the governor
    In other words, you're looking for something like this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Reliability Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Some kind of rear entertainment system (though we only use it on drives of 2+ hours). We bought our van new and had the dealership install a ceiling mounted one rather than step up to the next trim level.

Getting the larger V6 (3.8) would have been nice, but the 3.3 is sufficient. I mean, it's a minivan.

The stow and go seats have been great. Everyone has a fold-in-floor third row now, but I think the Chrysler products are still the only one with it in the second row too.

We don't have the power sliders or power lift gate. It was novel when we had it in a rental Kia Sedona last year, but still not sure I'd pay much extra for it.

14. besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Reliability Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Would you rather be replacing the engine? Things break. If you buy used cars with tons of miles on them, more components are close to the end of their lives. That's why they are cheap.

15. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    pretty sure the backup camera is now a law for new vehicles.

and who doesn't want keyless entry?! Useful as hell now when hands are full/keys are buried in a purse. Can't imagine how much more I'd love it when kids are around.

Sounds like a horse and buggy may be a better purchase for some.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cybirdy

Cybirdy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    For us an entertainment system is not a must. We just buy the cheap dual DVD players on Black Friday and use that.

For me being a mom and transporting kids 90% of the time, the power slide doors and lift gate are my #1 must have feature. Especially if you have kids under the age of 3.

The feature that has saved me more than once is if an interior light gets left on or a door left open, our van will counteract that so it won't wear the battery down. I would have had the jump our van before if that happened.

17. 3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    And who doesn't want a backup camera!? The backup camera and the rear cross traffic alert are probably my 2 favorite safety features on my wife's Highlander.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Any car I get in now that I actually have to use a key to start makes me feel like a god damned barbarian.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. DurangoCy

DurangoCy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Male
    Durango, CO

Have you thought about a boat?
    It looks like this would seat 10-12 comfortably. Summer is almost here.
    I'm sure there are more reasons, but I can't think of any right now.

upload_2017-3-20_13-0-38.png

20. AgronAlum

AgronAlum Active Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I think the only people that don't want a backup camera are the people who have never had a backup camera. They are awesome, especially for a larger vehicle. When I'm backing out of driveway, even though I know my son is inside, I feel way more comfortable being able to see behind me. Same goes for parking lots.