Vanguard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2forISU, Jan 17, 2014.

1. 2forISU

2forISU Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Has anyone invested with Vanguard? Would like to hear some feedback on their experience. Also what funds they are invested in.

I'm looking at some of their funds and they seem to perform very well year after year.

I appreciate the input.

2. ianoconnor

ianoconnor Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Male
    Urbandale
    From what I've heard, they are a favorite among personal investors. Very low fees on their funds.

3. JWIL4CY

JWIL4CY Active Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Insurance
    Urbandale
    Vanguard is a great place to invest. The only thing is you have to have at least 1k to get started with the investor shares or 10k to start with the admiral shares. I personally went with Schwab because you only need $100 to start which was great for me at the time.

4. DJSteve

DJSteve Member

Apr 29, 2010
    DJ / part time Engineer
    Ames
    Are you asking about opening an account directly with Vanguard to invest in their funds, or just information about their funds that you would invest in through some outside account?

I've used them and have zero complaints. If you're looking at index funds I think doing it direct is a pretty good way to go. Pretty hard to beat zero transaction fees to buy or sell. (IIRC there are some constraints with how quickly you can sell after purchase, or maybe there is a penalty)

5. 2forISU

2forISU Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Directly

6. Triggermv

Triggermv Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Energy Trader
    Marion, IA
    I'm a big Vanguard fan as they dominate the market of solid returning low-cost funds. It is pretty tough to go wrong with them.

7. Cyclonin

Cyclonin Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Lowest fees in the biz.

I am working on rolling over an IRA from my previous employer to a personal account (can't rollover to new company// no Roth here). I have a good friend that works for TD Ameritrade and set up an account with them because of that. But I plan on just throwing it in a Target retirement date index fund and let this one ride, throw some money into it every now and then.

I guess what I am saying is its a great passive investment vehicle, and as you have said they perform year over year.

The guy that founded Vanguard (John Bogle) has some great books out, and he is all about the passive style in index funds.

8. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    grundy center
    All my investments are with Vanguard. Great customer service, get website, and easy to navigate.

My retirement is VFIFX and I have about 8 other ETFs through them. There are no transaction fees to buy any of their funds and the fee is only $7 for individual stocks. You really can't go wrong with them.

9. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Vanguard index funds are very well respected. I don't have an account with them but do own one of their target date funds (which is a fund of funds). Schwab has some even lower cost index funds available now. I do recommend Schwab for a brokerage account, if that's what your looking for - great service, minimal fees.

10. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Love them. I invest the same thing with them each month that I send my financial advisor. Vanguard is killing him because of the low fees.

11. IAmNotTheMayor

Feb 6, 2013
    If you're looking for hands-off autopilot type investment, then they are great. Their index funds have the lowest overhead in the industry. I've read that their life-cycle funds are on the conservative side, so you could probably do better if you want to manage the funds on your own.

12. capitalcityguy

capitalcityguy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Male
    Des Moines
    If you want to get serious about this (which I'd recommend), spend some time on the Bogleheads forum. Inspired by Vanguard founder, John Bogle. Some very helpful people out there:
    Bogleheads • Index page

13. MaccloNe

MaccloNe Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    IT
    I use Ameritrade so I can invest in multiple funds. I also like the analysis and Morningstar info. I have at least 20 funds from multiple fund companies. Personal and 2‚ÄčIRAs.

14. mcblogerson

mcblogerson Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Yes on Vanguard.

15. ianoconnor

ianoconnor Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Male
    Urbandale
    So why do you stay with your advisor??

16. capitalcityguy

capitalcityguy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Male
    Des Moines
    If you have the net worth but not the time (or interest) to do it all yourself, an advisor makes sense for many.

17. Cyclones01

Cyclones01 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
    We've been thinking about opening a Roth IRA this year. Sounds like Vanguard might be the way to go.

18. Cyclonin

Cyclonin Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    If you are looking for a passive account with a goal of growth, then yes. They have a total stock market fund that has done well (trends with the total market), or more risk with a small cap fund. I would recommend.

19. LostinIowaCity

Jan 15, 2011
    Male
    Ames, IA
    If you're young and you're just socking money away for retirement, throw it all into Total Stock Market. Keep adding as much as you can. Reevaluate when you're 50. You're welcome.

20. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    I've invested with them for years. Mostly Index stuff, but the Windsor 2 has been a good fund for me the last 20 years. They don't have the greatest track record on International Funds. Can't beat their fee's. I concur with the folks who use Schwab. They have a great website with relatively low fees. Also great customer service. I like using them because you have more choices for investment and can buy non Vanguard funds.