Tyler Smith is out

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by redClone, Apr 20, 2007.

1. redClone

redClone New Member

Nov 8, 2006
    DesMoinesRegister.com

Iowa releases Tyler Smith from scholarship
    REGISTER NEWS SERVICES

April 20, 2007
    Add comment

Iowa has granted freshman forward Tyler Smith a release from his men’s basketball scholarship, the university announced this afternoon.

“Tyler asked to be released, expressing his desire to be closer to his father,†new Iowa coach Todd Lickliter said in a statement released by the school. “We respect his decision to be near his family and will grant the release in order for Tyler to further his education closer to home.â€

“I have had conversations with both Tyler and his father from the time we knew we would have a coaching change,†athletic director Gary Barta said in a statement. “Both expressed a sincere appreciation for Iowa, but also hinted toward a desire for Tyler to continue his career closer to home. I’m disappointed with his final decision, but we do ultimately want what’s best for him.â€

A native of Pulaski, Tenn., the 6-foot-7 Smith started 29 of 31 games last season, leading the team in rebounding (4.9) and steals (45). He ranked second in scoring (14.9) and assists (111). He was named to the Big Ten Conference all-freshman team and was selected third team all-Big Ten.

2. joepublic

joepublic Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Editorial
    Ankeny
    YESSSSSSS! How bout them hawks?

3. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    I can't blame Tyler, tough situation. It will be fun beating the crap outa them in Hilton this winter.

4. Michael Lastuvka

Aug 21, 2006
    Des Moines
    I could say I feel sorry for the Hawks, but I'd be lying:laugh8kb:

5. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I feel sorry for them. That's going to be a rough squad to watch next season. I honestly think they are going to be worse than we were this year. Plus there are no Wesley Johnson's waiting in the wings over there. They need a lucky recruit or two.

6. SplitIdentity

SplitIdentity Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Student, future teacher
    Ames
    The Hawks don't need any sympathy. It'll all turn out for the best in the end. It's really no different than when Stinson and Blalock for ISU left when McDermott came aboard - and really no different than the 3 players (probably 4) that are no longer on ISU's team for next year.

I really wish these players would start sticking around on these in-state teams. It seems that a lot of Iowa and ISU players have been leaving this year.

7. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    Ouch, Ouch, Ouch. Boy is Iowa going to be thin next year.

8. SplitIdentity

SplitIdentity Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Student, future teacher
    Ames
    Again, I don't think Iowa is going to be as thin as people are saying. It's not going to be like the Hawks have nobody on the team. Sure, it may be a tough begining, but as it's been pointed out - if Lickliter is a good coach, it shouldn't be a complete disaster.

As I stated in a previous post, I wouldn't expect post-season this year, but I expect to see an improved team fundamentally. Iowa may be losing the leading scorer, but the Hawks are also leading the leading player in turnovers.

We'll see, but with a completely different system in place, who knows.

We'll just have to wait.

9. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    Wonder if the bleedings done yet? Some of the guys on the team are now realizing this is not going to be a quick fix.:rolleyes5cz:

10. jay moe

jay moe Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Educator
    southern iowa
    Too bad, so sad!

11. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Who's left on the team? I mean seriously? Is Tony Freeman going to take you to the promised land? Josh Johnson? Big Gorney?

I mean I'm not trying to be a jerk here, and I'm glad you're optimistic about your team, but seriously... I don't think any preseason production will put Iowa any higher than 10th. And I don't blame them, they lose 60% of their scoring, and every playmaker on their roster. I don't think the situation is any worse than when Stinson and Blalock left, but ISU wasn't a good team last year. They finished less than .500. The Big 12 was without a doubt about as weak as it's been for a few years. The Big 10 is going back to 18 games next season. Even if they win 6 games in conference, that means they need to win 9 of their non-con games to get to where ISU was this season. I just don't see it happening.

Good luck Lick.

12. tube1

tube1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Isn't Tyler's dad in bad shape health-wise? I hate to dog the pukes if he is transfering with his dad not doing well. Even I'm human sometimes.

13. Cyfan322

Cyfan322 Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Ames
    what does that even mean?

14. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Looks like the Drake and UNI teams may win again next year.

15. Cyclonesrule91

Cyclonesrule91 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Finance Officer
    Waukee
    I love it and there is only one reason for it. I am always gladder when the Pukeyes are badder. It just improves the odds for my second favorite team to win. My second favorite team is the team that plays EIU...:wink0st:

16. PolkCityClone

PolkCityClone Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Tyler Smith

is leaving Iowa. That sure helps our chances of beating them. The cupboard is really bare at EIU now.

17. PolkCityClone

PolkCityClone Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Rough to watch????? Who watches them??? Oh, the CF mod watches...