TV Shows you just stopped watching...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ISUChippewa, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ISUChippewa

ISUChippewa Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    So this is a bit of a take-off of the "shows you hate" thread.

Personally, I've never really watched a show I hated, because if I didn't like it at the start I'm not going to continue watching it if I feel like I don't get any entertainment value out of it or waste my time following it. Therefore, since I only watch shows I enjoy, I really can't say I "hate" any TV shows.

With that being written however, there are certain shows that I at one time followed on a regular, even religious basis that I stopped watching midway through their tenure (before they got cancelled or ended the series) because I felt like they got stupid and/or tired and old.

* Heroes; I actually didn't watch the 1st season of this, but I got it on Netflix before the 2nd season started and got absolutely hooked in no time flat. I think that it's 1st season might be one of the best 1st seasons of any show, period. Of course, Season 2 then started and it went downhill quickly. I made it through the end of Season 3 and didn't see any of Season 4, which I believe was it's last season.

* Simpsons; I used to LOVE the Simpsons...for about the first 16 seasons or so. I remember the specific time period I stopped watching, Spring 2005. I just watched it one night and thought to myself, "You know what? This really isn't that funny anymore." Haven't watched an episode since. It's a no-brainer for the TV Hall of Fame, but for crying out loud just end it already!

* OC; Yes, laugh if you must, but I really enjoyed this show in its first season. I think I stopped watching halfway through Season 2 because I was impatient with a couple of storylines dragging on and on.

* Dark Angel; This one starred Jessica Alba before she hit it big and was friggin' awesome in its first season. Amazing backstory and mythology, good action scenes and storylines, and Jessica was looking damn fine. Then Season 2 came and it turned into a "Monster of the Week" type of show and got really stupid really quickly.

* 70's Show; Watched it for most of it's time, think I gave up before Topher Grace left the show. Just lost interest.

* Pushing Daisies; Interesting concept and well-done, watched Season 1, but I think it was just too whimsical for me to watch Season 2.

* ER; I got very tired of the constant revolving door of characters leaving every season.

Anybody else have shows like these?

2. clone319

clone319 Active Member

Nov 27, 2010
    The league and the office are two I can think of right now

3. CyFan61

CyFan61 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    I'm not there yet on The Office, but I feel like I'm getting close. It was far and away my favorite show on TV for seasons 2-6. Season 7 was still pretty good and watching Steve Carell leave was heartbreaking for a hardcore Office fan. And now, the last season started heading downhill fast.

4. clone319

clone319 Active Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Yeah, I never missed an episode, but stopped watching a little after he left.

5. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    I truly believe Heroes was one of the shows ruined by the writers' strike. I also really liked season 2, but mostly because I went to high school with Dana Davis, who played
    Monica Dawson in season 2.

6. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    I stopped watching The Office after season 7. I'll catch season 8 sometime this fall on DVD I'm sure.

No Michael Scott = no watch

Another show I stopped watching is Survivor. Became way too repetitive for me. I occasionally catch a season of it once in awhile. Maybe 1 out of 4.

7. MNclone

MNclone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN
    Ive got quite the list in the last couple years... I'm not very good about sticking with shows.

Some have already been mentioned
    Simpsons
    Heroes
    The Office

Lost- when they killed off Echo
    Chuck- skipped the last season. I think it was because they changed what night it was on and I don't do DVR (stoneage)
    V - got dumb
    The Event - got dumb

8. klamath632

klamath632 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Glee. I thought it was a great show in the first season. After that, they focused too much on the songs, and the writing/storylines went downhill real fast.

9. longtimeclone

longtimeclone Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Up north
    I watched Lost until the end but I figured it would be one those that no matter how it ends I wouldn't be happy with it. I was right.

Yeah I stopped watching most those too but I do like a good Sci-fi series. I will ****** if Awake is cancelled or ends abruptly because that was one of my favorite new shows.

10. VikesFan5

VikesFan5 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Male
    Ames, IA
    Dang. I was gonna post "In before LOST" but MNClone beat me to it. I stick with every show I watch until they end. LOST included. I'm still a big Office fan even with Michael gone, but he was a big part of the show for sure.

11. Hawkeye11en1

Hawkeye11en1 Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Colorado
    Crap, that would have been soooo funny.

12. longtimeclone

longtimeclone Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Up north
    I don't know how you could stop watching Lost. They had to start having answers sometime, right?

13. VikesFan5

Nov 9, 2011
    Male
    Ames, IA
    How can you be so cool? I don't get it.

14. klamath632

klamath632 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    I stopped watching Battlestar Galactica around the time they decided to land on the New Caprica planet and start a new life there.

As a US Army soldier, it ****** me off to no end seeing the "Colonial Fleet" abandon their post over the planet and join the settlers. After almost the entire race was wiped out, you would think that military people would know better than to just quit their posts. It was so "unrealistic" (which I know is a dumb term for a sci-fi show, but I'm talking about in-character actions and tendencies, not technology), it was so unrealistic that real soldiers would do that, that I couldn't watch it anymore.
    Many of the actions taken in that show were so far beyond anything that is acceptable to someone with an ounce of military discipline.

15. VikesFan5

Nov 9, 2011
    Male
    Ames, IA
    I loved it. A lot of people couldn't stick with it because it got too far-fetched for them.

16. Hawkeye11en1

Hawkeye11en1 Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Colorado
    Not surprising.

17. 1100011CS

1100011CS Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Marshalltown
    The Office
    Dexter - just got corny

18. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    My problem with the office hasnt been carell leaving (honestly it was time and he was becoming a caricature of himself) but with a poor execution of everything after. James Spader had great potential and it was squandered. Also, whatever happened to Tim Olyphant... he was around for one episode, they acted like he was a long-term addition to the staff, and then never heard from again.

I still watch office, though i havent finished the last couple episodes of the last season.

Other than that, I never got back into Dexter after the end of season 4 (trinity's season)

19. Frak

Frak Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Like others said:

Heroes
    Glee
    V

And:

Deadliest Catch
    Justified
    American Idol
    In the process of quitting True Blood
    Nip Tuck...just got too crazy
    Community
    Sons of Anarchy...ran out of TV watching time, the show was good tho

20. CycloneSupt6

CycloneSupt6 Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Asst GC Supt
    Davenport
    Community. Loved the first two and a half seasons, but with about 5 episodes to go this year I quit watching. There was no continuity, every episode has its own story. They also kept rehashing the same ideas.