Tuftee To Grayshirt

Discussion in 'Football' started by CyCy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. CyCy

CyCy Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2006
    In an interview in Thursday's QC Times Ethan Tuftee stated that he will be attending Scott Community College for the fall semester and then enroll at Iowa State as a grayshirt for the spring semester. He is currently rehabbing a knee injury.

Also saw that Pleasant Valley QB Brett Bueker will be attending ISU as a walk on.

2. CrossCyed

CrossCyed Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Oh, I do stuff
    Iowa
    Best of luck to both.

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Given the rehab, this sounds like a good decision for both Tuftee and the program. It also frees up a spot if the staff is still working on someone.

4. CycloneWarrior

CycloneWarrior Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2008
    student
    Urbandale,Ia
    what's a grayshirt

5. clone2011

clone2011 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Grayshirts enroll for less than the "full time status" course load. At ISU, they enroll in 11 or fewer credits. This way they can take classes while also getting into the weightroom and being with the team but not counting against their eligibility. The "5 years to play 4" clock doesn't start until an athlete is enrolled full time.

I believe Kurtis Taylor was also a grayshirt to bulk up in the weightroom. It also gives athletes a chance to acclimate to college course loads if academics are a concern.

6. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
    I forget, do they go on scholarship 2nd semester, or do they have to pay their own way all year of the gray shirt year? I know they just cant do certain things 1st semester, since the season is going on.

Im sooo happy i went to Iowa State and didnt end up at Scott CC. Scott makes DMACC look like Harvard.

7. BD4CY

BD4CY Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I think Schmelling grayshirted as well... They pay their own way for the whole year

8. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    #8 kingcy, Feb 7, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
    Are you sure about that?

I thought it was when they came to ISU just like any freshman but couldn't practice or do anything with the team but lift weights. They do not get a scholarship the first year but the first year doesn't count against them. Its a way to get kids on campus, if all the spots are taken up. If he does greyshirt he really will be a part of the class of 09.

9. clone2011

clone2011 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007
    They can use the weightroom I believe....you're right, they don't practice or any of that, but nobody can stop them from hanging out with the guys, building team chemistry off the field, etc. Essentially they're restricted from official "team functions". They pay their own way and it doesn't count against their eligibility.

10. CYCLONE STATE

CYCLONE STATE Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Clive
    What kind of knee injury does he have?

11. bfross

bfross Active Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Electrical Engineer
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I think they can be on scholarship spring semester since that is technically the start of the new football season and fall was the end of the preceding one. Usually is how it works for the grayshirts.

12. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Grayshirts actually can enroll full time at the semester and be put on full scholarship at that point. They can then participate in a spring practice before they start in the fall. When they report in the fall, they still have 5 to play 4 so they can redshirt if they wish to.

13. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    Greyshirts pay their own way while they are a greyshirt.

14. cyismydog

cyismydog Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Will this free up a schollie for Jordan Fields if he picks ISU?

15. iowast_nate

iowast_nate Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Davenport
    He tore his ACL in the third game of the season against Bettendorf.

16. iowast_nate

iowast_nate Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Davenport

More from the Quad-City Times

Almost five months after an ACL injury ended his senior football season, Ethan Tuftee still is recovering.

That didn’t prevent the Davenport Assumption offensive lineman from sealing his commitment to play for Iowa State on Wednesday.

The 6-foot-3, 285-pound Tuftee sent in his national letter of intent to the Cyclones on Wednesday morning.

“It’s one more thing I don’t have to do,†he said.

What Tuftee does have on his agenda is plenty more physical therapy to rehabilitate his knee. He suffered the injury three games into the football season last September, and Tuftee has only recently begun jogging and jumping again.

“Every day is pretty much something new,†he said. “I wish I could just play right now.â€

He won’t play next fall, either, instead he’ll attend Scott Community College for a semester as an Iowa State grayshirt freshman.

Tuftee will join the Cyclones for the spring semester.

17. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    might open up one more spot....will be interesting to see if we snag someone.

18. MaxPower57

MaxPower57 Active Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Lonzie Range is doing the same thing so that opens up another spot as well

19. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Why do I get the impression that Scott probably doesn't have quite as good a weight room as the Jacobsen Building?

20. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    ......link?