Trip to Chicago

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Nobody has mentioned Gibson's yet?

Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse

Is it expensive? Yeah. Is it worth it? I think so. Great atmosphere, it seems a lot of famous people that live in or visit Chicago stop in there quite a bit.

If you can't get into Gibson's, or don't want to wait - go next door to Hugo Frog's (literally next door). Same kitchen, a lot of the same things on the menu. Similar prices. Obviously just as good.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
If you can't get into Gibson's, or don't want to wait - go next door to Hugo Frog's (literally next door). Same kitchen, a lot of the same things on the menu. Similar prices. Obviously just as good.

I give that 2 thumbs way down but it might be because I'm biased :wink:.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I think Portillo's is overrated. I heard all of these good things about them, then was severely disappointed. Plus, didn't they get in some trouble with the health board a year or two back?

Ummm... WHICH Portillo's are you talking about?

Talking about Portillo's in Chicago, is like talking about McDonald's anywhere else. There's a ton of them.

But having said that, you can get better chicago beef and chicago dogs in any number of nasty-looking store-front places. In fact, I'd recommend stopping at the seediest looking place you can find and having one each chicago dog with everything and chicago beef.

But avoid the west side and anything south of 31st. I kid you not, your chances of being dead, at a minimum are very, very good if you don't.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
You have to go to Niketown if you've never been. Great store. Just make sure you don't have to much money on you, cause you will want to spend it all. Make sure you find some good pizza.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Catch a Blackhawks game if you can. They've got a really great team at the moment and have a lot more excitement than they've had in years. Really great game experience too.

Reactions: Angie

Chiclone8

Aug 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
Lou Malnati's for pizza
Steakhouse Gene and Georgetti. Old school steakhouse.
N9ne if you want trendy younger crowd.
Blackhawks fun/Bulls boring
Wrigleyville for nightlife if you want to trek it. Redline to Addison. Cab will cost you $20
Division Street is trashy but closer. Hange Uppe and Mother's require serious intoxication.
So does being a Cyclone fan though!

hoopsnut1

Jan 22, 2008
Try this place, unbelievable cinnamon roll pancakes. Near Wriggleyville.

Orange
3231 N Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60657

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Lou Malnati's for pizza
Steakhouse Gene and Georgetti. Old school steakhouse.
N9ne if you want trendy younger crowd.
Blackhawks fun/Bulls boring
Wrigleyville for nightlife if you want to trek it. Redline to Addison. Cab will cost you $20
Division Street is trashy but closer. Hange Uppe and Mother's require serious intoxication.
So does being a Cyclone fan though!

I miss cabs and trains in Chicago. So easy to get around.

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
Fogo de Chao is a place I always go to eat when I'm in Chicago. It's pricey but well worth it. An Italian place called the Rosebud (or something like that) near UIC is a great place too.

Hot Doug's is the best place to go for a hot dog. You're wasting your time anywhere else.

Clark Street Ale House is my favorite bar to hit. My other regular places to hit are Delilah's (Diversey & N. Lincoln) and Cleo's on Chicago Ave. Sheffield's (on Sheffield just south of Wrigley)makes the best bloody mary's I've ever had. Make nice and tip the bartenders well and they will point you in right direction.

Help Support Us

Become a patron