Tressel makes 5 players promise to come back next year in order to play in Sugar Bowl

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by isuno1fan, Dec 30, 2010.

1. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    Deal is you agree you are coming back next year to serve the penalty or you don't make the bowl trip. All 5 have pledged to come back next year.

Thoughts?

2. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Re: Tressel makes 5 players promise to come back next year in order to play in Sugar

It's smart move by Tressel.

3. ISUonthemove

ISUonthemove Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Sports Photographer
    Altoona
    Re: Tressel makes 5 players promise to come back next year in order to play in Sugar

It took him a couple days to figure out he could blackmail his own players.

4. price26

price26 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2006
    CyRide Driver
    Ames, IA

Yeah right, if that's all it takes for me to play, I'd "pledge" to come back too.

I really think Pryor might as well come back and play, I don't think he'll be much of pro.

5. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA

Did he check for crossed fingers? :wink:

6. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa

Not sure how I feel about it. Would rather see them held out for sure. Will be interesting if anyone leaves and goes against their word to Tressel after the bowl.

7. cy2win

cy2win Active Member

May 15, 2006

it was a pinky swear

8. Irresponsible

Irresponsible Active Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA

Seems like a great plan. These guys have already shown their honesty and their love for Ohio State ("Is the Fiesta Bowl bling worth more than the Rose Bowl bling? We want to go the Fiesta Bowl then.") :jimlad:

9. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006

meh, it's better than doing nothing. This way he introduces additional peer pressure into the situation. Anybody who leaves would be going back against their word to their team/teammates. It might not have much of an effect, but better than nothing.

10. kkise

kkise Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Male
    Chemist
    Ankeny, Iowa

I think it's an empty gesture. Or maybe I'm too cynical.

11. leroycyclone

leroycyclone Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Retired and Happy
    Boulder, CO

You should keep a record of our post. In Summer 2011, look it up and learn who didn't keep their promise.

Then start another thread with the final results.

Odds are probably good that someone won't be on the roster in 2011. Who will renege? Coach Tressel, he quits? Pryor, he turns pro?

My guess is that OSU played the NCAA like a puppet.

12. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica

Good luck with that promise.

Yeah, it's easy to be cynical about this one.

13. tim_redd

tim_redd Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Ankeny

They're lying. You know how much the bowl gift basket and sugar bowl ring are going to be worth?

14. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha

Maybe three of them will go pro...just watch.

15. dualthreat

dualthreat Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008

...and uh what if they break they're promise?

16. SvrWxCy

SvrWxCy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Meteorologist
    Kansas

I like the idea, however, it once again relies on those five keeping a promise to the institution that they already crossed at least once before. If they keep their promise and are all back next year to serve the suspension it has at least a bit of merit.

If even one of them doesn't come back though, it will just bring all of this back to light on how irresponsible OSU and their players were...