Traeger vs. Weber grills

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
WIth my briskets I just rub with S&P. Toss on the smoker somewhere around 275°, fat down.

Pull it off when it probes like butter. Usually somewhere around 195°F Internal temp, but sometimes more.

It's simple and delicious. I don't need to wrap my meat like a potato like the Texans do and I don't mess with injecting or basting or mopping or anything else.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
The bellies that I saw at Sam's 2 weeks ago looked damn good. Was at the 73rd st location in DM.
Good to know, maybe I've just missed them when I looked or they were out in Ankeny. Probably be picking up a brisket there soon so I'll take a look.

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I am in the market for a new grill and have my eye on the Traeger or Weber grills. I am not talking about the Weber Smokey Mountain- just the regular one. Sway me either way to buying one of them.

Discuss-

I have a Weber charcoal and gas grill, and a Traeger. In the summer I do use the Weber kettle charcoal some on steaks and burgers, but I rarely use my Weber gas since I purchased the Traeger. I am spoiled from the flavor of the Traeger and it is so much easier to use and clean up. I was looking at Green Mountain Grills and those are good too (I was actually leaning that way) but got a really good deal on the Traeger. It does an outstanding job smoking as it lets off a lot of smoke. I have done brisket, ribs, pulled pork, chickens, etc. and it turns out good every time. If I only had to have one grill, the pellet grill is the way to go, but that is just my opinion.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Now that we have been doing some talking about actual cooking on these grills/smokers what are some good message boards for pellet smokers, specifically Traeger?

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I've had a Weber Genesis for 3 years and love it. Very easy to clean both inside and out. Even heat and has sear station. I have a cheap Cajun Injector smoker for the low temp stuff. Love that as well. All most as much as I love lamp.

• Informative
Reactions: cstrunk

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I purchased the Weber master touch charcoal grill, freaking love it went totally away from gas. I have smoked on it already too did some ribs turned out great. Love the grates that open up on the sides to add more charcoal or wood. Not to mention the flavor is way better. I also bought the weber chimney charcoal starter just use paper and boom hot coals no fluid needed. I also feel more relaxed when grilling with charcoal yeah it takes longer, but it slows you down some too, which is a really good thing.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Nice. Have heard you don't want to get them too hot as they take a long time to cool back down. They are pretty heavy, aren't they?

Heavy is probably an understatement. They do get hot, but they are ceramic, so it's not like it's hot enough to melt siding or anything. I cook steaks on mine at 600F and just leave it when I'm done. It cools off eventually and while it's hot, it's not hot enough to burn someone that touches it. BGE has awesome flavor. Drawback is it takes 15-20 min to get up to temp, so for something like burgers, it can be a pain. Also, for smoking, it can take some watching to make sure your temp doesn't go up or down...not as hands free as a pellet smoker. But overall, I'm really happy with the BGE.

• Agree
Reactions: Cybyassociation

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
For those that have a Weber 22 kettle, I pitched my grate and got a Napolean Rodeo 22. Heavy duty cast iron and both sides can hinge up. Love it!

61WM2DsvpBL._SX466_.jpg

Reactions: Colorado

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I purchased the Weber master touch charcoal grill, freaking love it went totally away from gas. I have smoked on it already too did some ribs turned out great. Love the grates that open up on the sides to add more charcoal or wood. Not to mention the flavor is way better. I also bought the weber chimney charcoal starter just use paper and boom hot coals no fluid needed. I also feel more relaxed when grilling with charcoal yeah it takes longer, but it slows you down some too, which is a really good thing.
It's hard to go wrong with the Weber kettle grill.
I've smoked ribs, pork loin, chicken, & rib roasts in mine. I need to try that snake method to see if I can smoke a pork butt some day. I've roasted turkey, duck and chicken in it as well.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
For those that have a Weber 22 kettle, I pitched my grate and got a Napolean Rodeo 22. Heavy duty cast iron and both sides can hinge up. Love it!

61WM2DsvpBL._SX466_.jpg
Nice, was thinking about switching over to Craycort here soon, might have to look into these instead. Like the idea of hinged grates over drop ins.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Nice, was thinking about switching over to Craycort here soon, might have to look into these instead. Like the idea of hinged grates over drop ins.
It's 3 loose pieces but the outer 2 have formed clips over the center piece where you can rotate them up 90 degrees.
It's really heavy duty, fit my Performer 22 perfectly.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

61WM2DsvpBL._SX466_.jpg
I have a hinged one from Weber, but it's pretty chinsey compares to that! Was a bit cheaper but I like the looks of it.

Fits a Weber 22 just fine?

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have a hinged one from Weber, but it's pretty chinsey compares to that! Was a bit cheaper but I like the looks of it.

Fits a Weber 22 just fine?

Here's mine. There are some slots at a couple spots near the edge that's made for the Napoleon, as long as you don't have the slots by the bolts in the bowl, you're fine. Even if you did, the cupping of the bowl wouldn't allow it to go down much.
Bolting in those stainless handles is also an option, it comes with them but you don't have to do it.

Works perfect for me.

Attachments

• 17904349_10104187485103250_514893023189518453_n.jpg
    17904349_10104187485103250_514893023189518453_n.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Winner
Reactions: NickTheGreat

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron