Top 5 list: NBA in game dunkers

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by bringmagicback, Feb 9, 2010.

1. bringmagicback

bringmagicback Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Marketing
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    W/ the NBA slam dunk contest coming up and another recent post, it made me think: Who were the best NBA in game dunkers? My list is:

1: Vince Carter, not a fan of his game but he has done some pretty nasty stuff.

2: Dominique Wilkins. Most powerful dunker in my opinion. He hated the rim.

3: Shawn Kemp, short lived but he had a tooonnnnnn of highlight dunks.

4: Kobe Bryant, I will get killed for putting him in front of 45, but he dunks on people with more authority than Jordan. He also uses 2 hands. I could switch em i guess.

5: Jordan, Not a big fan but he had a lot of them and some pretty amazing. The more I think of it, the more I want to leave him off my list.

I think Shaq should definately get some votes in this. In his younger days if he got the ball next to the basket he was dunking hard. Pretty amazing power. Dwight Howard has had some but not near as much as Shaq. Dr. J is the most over hyped dunker in the history of basketball. Clyde Drexler was also pretty good in game. Lebron will prob go on the list at the end of his career. He gets up in the air like and has some power, I just really dislike him.

Your Thoughts?

2. jakecovo21

jakecovo21 Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Waukee, IA

vince
    lebron
    jason richardson
    kemp
    spud webb

3. deadeyededric

deadeyededric Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Parts Unknown
    I don't know Jordan makes my top 20.

4. fatmoldy

fatmoldy Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Student
    Northwest Iowa
    Kobe Bryant is nowhere near sniffing the top five IMO, I'd put Jordan higher and put Dr. J at number one since he pretty much invented the dunk. Carter and Wilkins deserve to be up there and Kemp is a good pick too.

5. fatmoldy

fatmoldy Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Student
    Northwest Iowa
    I'm a Cavs fan, and LeBron is what got me into the NBA in the first place, but he lacks style, if that is a criteria in the ranking. He is, however, extremely good at getting a dunk and finishing it strong. Also, he's great at making a regular dunk ridiculous by getting super high.

6. bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
    Marketing
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    I don think spud dunked near enough in game to go to the top, however it was amazing what he could do, and im pretty sure he got Manute Bol once. Jrich is a good pick, forgot about him

7. bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
    Marketing
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    haha, i'm just afraid of the Jordan hype machine and the repercussions of not listing him in any NBA related top 5.

8. deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
    Parts Unknown
    I was about to say the same thing. I'm gonna get shredded for saying that about Jordan.

9. michaelrr1

michaelrr1 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    WDM
    Carter has some pretty dunks in the open court, but Jordan was the ultimate finisher. Notice most of his dunks here are over the opposing centers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf4H3OR-7IE&feature=related"]YouTube - Vince Carter Top 10 Career Dunks[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8M2NgjvicA&feature=related"]YouTube - Top 10 All Time Michael Jordan Dunks[/ame]

10. deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
    Parts Unknown
    I will go with Wilkins number one. Shawn Kemp is top 5 for sure.

11. CylentButDeadly

CylentButDeadly Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Windsor Heights, IA
    'Nique was the best in-game dunker and he was robbed in the '88 dunk contest where he made Jordan look average. I couldn't find the clip on youtube, but in '87 I believe, he decimated Larry Bird on a break away like nobody has ever been decimated by a dunk before.

12. CylentButDeadly

CylentButDeadly Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Windsor Heights, IA
    Just read through this and am amazed that nobody has said Daryl Dawkins.

13. Hawkfan44

Hawkfan44 Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Dr. J and Wilkins were 2 of my favorites.

14. San Francisco Cy

San Francisco Cy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2008
    San Francisco
    Jordan was an incredible dunker early on in his career. He had such a knack of getting to the hoop and punishing it. As he got older, he stepped his game outside more and more, and so some of the "younger" fans may not remember that. I'd have to say that Nique was a pretty fantastic finisher as well. And Kobe has probably been the best that I've seen (not that I've seen much NBA action) in the past few years.

Those three definitely make my top 5. I didn't see enough of Dr J to include him. Vince Carter, in his prime, was an incredible dunker as well. Let's see. To round off my list, I'll go with Shawn Kemp too. He had some pretty nasty throw downs from all over the place. He and Payton in NBA Jam were nearly unstoppable! :)

15. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    Vince Carter jumped over a 7 footer in a game. He is my number one.

16. cyfan964

cyfan964 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2006
    4 blocks from the Jack
    #16 cyfan964, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    Shawn Kemp is number 1 and I don't think it is even really close. Most dunkers are either "acrobatic" or "powerful". Shawn Kemp is one of the very few that did both well.

17. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    James Worthy...lots of fast breaks and lots of dunks...

18. uro cy

uro cy Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Derrick Rose is one to keep an eye on for the future...he has had a couple of ridiculous put downs this season

19. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    Jordan, Dominique, and Spud Webb were some of my favorites. Dawkins, who was mentioned could throw it down hard if I remember right and shattered a couple backboards.

Shawn Kemp was awesome for a few years.

Carter probably belongs there, but his dunks aren't coming to mind for me.

20. pulse

pulse Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Kobe has some dunks that are absolutely stunning. I'm amazed at what he can do in games. The wow factor of dunks in games blows anything away I've seen from others like Jordan, Kemp, Wilkins, etc, which is saying a lot.