Tom Crean Fired from Indiana

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Why? It can pay him just as much, the expectations are the same, and its his alma mater. Ill be somewhat surprised if its not Alford, especially knowing his son graduates this year.
The fan support is likely much better in Indiana. LA has too many better things to do than college sports then split it with USC on top of that.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Baylor was abysmal before they had Drew. They never got the top talent that Texas/A&M would get before. Now throw in Dixon at TCU, I can see Baylor quickly going back to the basement if Drew were to leave.

Baylor was terrible because they had that whole "murdering teammates" thing going on.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
He's never made it past the Sweet 16 as a coach

Granted, but the team at UCLA that he has right now will most likely get to the Elite 8. They'd likely be paired against UK that they've already beat once this year.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Crean coached at Marquette before getting the Indiana job, you wonder if that affects interviewing someone like Buzz Williams?
Wonder if the Xavier coach would get a look.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
exactly what I was thinking with the Ball brothers committed there as well, might as well ride that train out. But if being closer to where he's originally from he'll move on. I wonder about a past UCLA (Howland) coach as well right now as I'd imagine his name will start turning up for bigger jobs as well.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Baylor was abysmal before they had Drew. They never got the top talent that Texas/A&M would get before. Now throw in Dixon at TCU, I can see Baylor quickly going back to the basement if Drew were to leave.
Sorry, but that's almost 20 years ago. HS and AAU basketball has exploded in Texas and Baylor is no longer just removed from the SWC. They may not have a lot of fans, but Baylor has money and cares about basketball now. Same with TCU- they're going to always be tough going forward

• Agree
Reactions: Pat

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Granted, but the team at UCLA that he has right now will most likely get to the Elite 8. They'd likely be paired against UK that they've already beat once this year.

I agree that this may be the team that gets Alford the furthest in the tournament. I'm just saying if I'm Indiana do I really want to hire the guy with a great head coaching record but lack of success in the Tourney? Indiana's goal is getting a National Title. Imagine what would happen if they got Steve Alford and he couldn't deliver - would that tarnish his legacy as a player? It's what some feared would happen here when Hoiberg was hired, only the stakes are WAY higher at Indiana where Sweet 16s are not acceptable.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Currently basketball in the State of Indiana is Purdue and Notre Dame. The Hoosiers are not their parents teams.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Exactly. He's trending up at UCLA and is recruiting at an elite level. His ego would be the only reason for him to pick IU over UCLA...which of course means he'll do it.

The guy is from Indiana and played there, how would rebuilding your alma mater be about ego? if anything his ego would keep him at UCLA, he's got it made there.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Alford would be enough of a selfish ******* to ditch UCLA mid-tournament.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Why? It can pay him just as much, the expectations are the same, and its his alma mater. Ill be somewhat surprised if its not Alford, especially knowing his son graduates this year.
I'd be surprised if Alford came back. I can think of one coach who came back to his alma mater and then left. I just think when you are a legend in everyone's eyes it puts a lot of pressure on you and then if you don't succeed can cause hard feelings.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
The guy is from Indiana and played there, how would rebuilding your alma mater be about ego? if anything his ego would keep him at UCLA, he's got it made there.

I was thinking ego as far as going somewhere where people will tell him how awesome he is and let him relive his glory days non-stop.

Reactions: heitclone

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010

Two Big 10 titles, coach of the year while leading many young men to successes in the classroom and on the court while showing class.... sounds like the reasons to keep a guy not fire him. Sounds like Nebraska football where it's all about national championships and if not your gone.