Tim Floyd to Memphis?

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by hursts, Apr 1, 2009.

1. hursts

hursts Active Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Tim Floyd is said to be high on the list at Memphis to replace Calipari. If the money is right I think he would leave USC. Memphis was willing to match Kentucky's offer so there must be some money down there. Supposedly, Floyd only makes 850.000 a year at USC right now.

2. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    Tim Floyd needs to just sit his *** down and stick with a team.

3. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    USC > Memphis

4. cyeah

cyeah Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Director of Operations
    Houston, TX
    I would not put a lot of staock in that. Tim and bev are very, very happy in So Cal. I am not sure there is enough of a pull to Memphis. He can build one heck of a program at 'SC and the recruiting is easier.

5. ISU_phoria

ISU_phoria Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Construction Project Mana
    Andover, MN

I don't really care either way, but I think one could make a strong arguement against that. (Based on recent history of winning, at least). Plus, USC has to compete with UCLA across town. Memphis does have Tennessee & Vandy, but neither of those teams are UCLA.

Now if you're talking about actual location, you couldn't be more right. (weather, hotties, etc, etc.)

6. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    You must be kidding - just check the home attendance averages between the two schools. Floyd has a huge ego, and I think he's tired of walking out to home games with an arena that's only half or two-thirds full. Memphis, on the other hand, has a huge following.
    This would be a no-brainer...

7. benjay

benjay Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Memphis will have trouble landing a high profile coach from a BCS conference like Floyd, imo. The only reason they got Calipari is because he was damaged goods at the time and coming off an epic failure in the NBA.

8. cloneatlaw

cloneatlaw Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Exactly. This would be a stupid move.

9. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    You're kidding right? Floyd would be a perfect fit at Memphis. As a southern boy with ties all over the region, in a basketball town. USC doesn't care about basketball, as it is they play 4th fiddle for basketball in their own town behind the Lakers, UCLA, and Clippers. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see him leave, plus with big cotton and FedEx,you know they have the money to pay...

10. BigBake

BigBake Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Programming monkey
    U'dale
    Plus it's Floyd...when has he ever turned down more money?

11. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Is Memphis a big enough city for Mrs. Floyd? I thought I heard that she was not very fond of small cities/towns and would prefer to be in a major metro area. Memphis isn't tiny obviously, but it ain't LA.

12. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    I wouldn't be surprised at all either if he left but I think he is pretty comfortable at USC.

13. cyeah

cyeah Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Director of Operations
    Houston, TX
    I know one small mid-western town she is very, very fond of. She still visits this town pretty often to see old friends and enjoy some familiar places.

14. benjay

benjay Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Some of you are acting like Memphis is a premier coaching gig. End of the day, we're still talking about conference USA. It's like Gonzaga - where would they be without Mark Few?

15. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Maybe, but not this year.

But: Pac10>>>>>>>>>CUSA

16. cyeah

cyeah Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Director of Operations
    Houston, TX
    One interesting aspect of Tim @ Memphis, he and Larry would end up coaching against each other - we would finally know who was the better coach. Of course, Memphis starts with a huge head start talent and tradition wise but that would be a pretty interesting game.

17. I would much rather see Larry in the Pac10 than Tim in C-USA.

18. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    Probably still about as good. From what I've heard a lot of the players don't care for Few, they came there to win. Plus Few didn't make them into a powerhouse, he maintained what Munson and the people before hims seemed to get going.

19. khess83

khess83 Active Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Auditor
    Beaverdale-Des Moines, IA
    I think this would be a major step down for Floyd. Yes, Memphis is on top of CUSA right now. But a few years ago that was Cinncinati, and now look at that program. They left CUSA and now are just another team in the Big East, granted the best conference in college basketball. Now there is talk of how Memphis belongs in a major conference, ie SEC or Big 12 South.

My point is small conferences are dominated by teams for a period and then they either jump ship to a larger conference or they fall off and some other team steps up to be the dominate force. Either way their time in the spot light is limited. USC will always be in the spot light imo.

20. hurdleisu24

hurdleisu24 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2008
    New York
    I can't see it happing