Thoughts on the Spring Game...

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by larrysarmy, Dec 1, 2006.

1. larrysarmy

larrysarmy Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Ankeny
    Anyone think the ISU should pump some money into this year? Our spring game always seems to be a passing thought....a nice day could produce 5-7k...bad day...far less.

though...with this year...should JP do something with this? Chizik, new era...new committment to football

Iowa seems to boast their 20-25k every year...seems like a great opportunity to get fans excited going into the summer.

Could we get 10k plus?

A worthy investment?

thoughts...

2. dinger

dinger Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Dallas, TX
    ive always thought our spring game was pretty lack luster. not sure what would help it out. guess thats why JP gets the big bucks. i would like to see him do something with it...at least give it a shot. who cares about even making money, i would just like to see more that 1500 people show up.

3. guitarchitect7

guitarchitect7 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Photographer
    Ill be there!

4. Nedrick

Nedrick Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Graphic Designer
    Carroll, IA
    Has anyone seen the date for it? It's usually the 3rd Saturday in April. Maybe JP could have some promotions, giveaways, anything to entice people to come! And obviously keep it FREE...

5. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa

6. cyagent

cyagent New Member

Nov 22, 2006
    I live in SW Iowa and am constantly exposed to the Nebraska media. If I
    remember correctly they had a full house for their last spring game. Kinda
    puts into perspective how far we need to go as far as fan interest. Of course
    I realize there is not much else to do in Nebraska on a spring afternoon.

7. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 20, 2006
    attendance should be increased this year... many UofI coaches should be in attendance to see what is being done on the field by all of our new coaches....

-keep.

8. Clonehomer

Clonehomer Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I can see two things that would help the spring game.
    -First, keep it off of Easter weekend. I think two out of the last three years its fallen on the Saturday before Easter. Most students are gone and many families have plans.

-Second, it's always been the big event in VEISHA. Since VEISHA has lost its luster alumni don't come back like they did. Improve VEISHA back to what it was and you'll get alumni to come back and attend the game.

9. dinger

dinger Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Dallas, TX
    GC isnt going to show anything in the spring game...hes to smart of a coach.

im glad someone else brought up nebraska...they know what they are doing. i think the last 2 maybe even 3 years they had over 60,000 at their game. and theirs isnt free. even students have to pay to get into it.

10. seneca4MVP

seneca4MVP Member

Nov 14, 2006
    ?? Yeah I am sure coaches from a school that has been one of the top programs in the past 6 years is going to come to our spring game to see how we coach!! Get a grip

11. BenEClone

BenEClone Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Lincoln, Ne
    I agree that the spring game ought to be integrated in the VEISHA activities - saturday afternoon, right after the parade. Maybe there could be a BBQ (alcohol free?) outside the stadium to bridge the gap. If I recall correctly the game wasn't even during VEISHA week last year. Of course sometimes there isn't a VEISHA week. It would be nice if the game could pull its own crowd, but, until it does, coordinating with VEISHA makes sense to me.

12. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    The spring game will most likely just be an evaluation tool by the new staff to see what they have to work with. It's never been very competitive nor very exciting. I think the most excitement I ever saw from one was when Stevie Johnson was trying out at WR but eventually switched to LB before the season.

13. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 20, 2006
    get a grip?! how about Get a clue...

they will want to see our new coaches in action. how they handle things, tendencies, type of D, type of O ..... that sort of stuff. Not a coaching 101 or clinic. Studying the enemy.... to better prepare for that game.

geez.

-keep.

14. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Other coaches aren't going to be scouting this game to get anything usefully out of it. Heck the 2-deeps won't even be close to what it will by the fall, the play calling will be very basic, and our main players everyone already has enough info on since most are juniors and seniors now.

15. seneca4MVP

seneca4MVP Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Haha this keeps getting better. That is called game film that they can watch after our first two games. I will bet my first born son there won't be a Hawk coach at our spring game. I am sure they send two coaches to every team on their schedules spring game.....NOT!!

16. clones_jer

clones_jer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    IA
    Amen, and double Amen.

Was it 2003 when it was raining pretty much the entire game? I remember because its the only time I've had front row seats 40 yard line. If there were 1,000 people in the stadium, including the players, at the end of that one I'd be suprised.

17. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    If some of you are naive enough to think schools don't send scouts to watch the spring games of other schools....you're sorely mistaken.

Shouldn't stop us from having an open-to-the-public spring game...but that stuff does happen.

18. seneca4MVP

seneca4MVP Member

Nov 14, 2006
    I am not sorely mistaken. Y in the world would Iowa send coaches to watch us at spring ball when it is so far away from the season and they need to be worrying about their own team? They will learn nothing about us, compared to watching the game tape of us in the 2 games prior. Iowa coaches could give a rip about ISU's spring game.

19. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    Have you ever been at the spring game and sat near scouts from another team? No?

20. Skyh13

Skyh13 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    If it were the same staff, probably not. I'm not saying either way, but it sounds like something that could happen since we have the new coaching staff and all.